• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 antlerbanger OFFLINE  

antlerbanger
  • Member No: 86201
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 11:17 AM

There is a Ingersoll 4020 for sale in my area. The owner claims everything works but it needs new hydro lines because they leak. I'm a decent mechanic, so not to worried about replacing lines. Any ideas if hydro lines are still available for this model? Also, how hard would it be to find a mower deck and snow caster for this model? What would be a fair offer to make the owner on this tractor? Not sure on the year, but see the attached picture.

Thanks...

Attached Thumbnails

• 4020.jpg

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,354 Thanks
  • 7,734 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 11:39 AM

I don't know years, but don't think that is real new. These are same as Case.  Some lines are metal tube and at times just come loose at fittings. Some are combine metal and hose. Ebay has many such items listed most times. Should be able to get most new if metal type. Would think hoses can be made many places. Hard to get into areas at times to remove/replace.  What did PO use it for if no attachments with it?  Seems odd he didn't have anything with it. Paint looks a little dull, maybe not stored inside?  Would think a $300 to $400 tractor at most if it runs OK. Check hours if it has gauge.

• 637Yeoman and antlerbanger have said thanks

#3 antlerbanger OFFLINE  

antlerbanger
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 11:49 AM

The owner says he got it from his grandfather and doesn't the value or the history. So not sure why there are no attachments. According to tractordata.com the 4000 series came after the 400 series, so looks like 1989-2004. By the looks I would guess older than newer.

http://www.tractorda...rsoll-4020.html

#4 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • Member No: 53022
  • 41 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 12:33 PM

The 4020 is a very nice tractor. It is the model to have for the 2 hardest jobs, blowing deep snow and tilling. Attachments are not that hard to find, but it depends on the area you are in. The leaks are easy to fix. The return line is 3/4" 300 psi hose and the suction hose is still available through a dealer. The main pressure hose sometimes gets a hole from rubbing on the frame and is available.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
  • Alc, boyscout862, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#5 antlerbanger OFFLINE  

antlerbanger
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 01:08 PM

ssmewing, do you agree that a $300-$400 offer is fair for this tractor with leaks and no attachments?

• ssmewing said thank you

#6 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • 41 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 01:22 PM

👌

• antlerbanger said thank you

#7 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 01:26 PM

I'd say your location he'd probably laugh at you. But if you can get it for that would be good deal.

• antlerbanger said thank you

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,236 Thanks
  • 9,175 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 06:19 PM

Besides the hoses, it has salt on the hood and black paint; discount for that. It doesn't have the Chev. sb upgrade another $500 off. :D 

(In my area, the 4000 would go for more)

#9 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 06:58 PM

That is a concern of mine on engine if it's not paint and is exhaust soot from closed and open hood. What I've noticed is farther north higher the prices for high wheels. With the hi lo shifter it is older model.

#10 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • 41 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 07:12 PM

It does indicate a running issue. Nothing that can't be fixed.

#11 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 21 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 06:10 PM

IMO, the key to determining value is the engine along with overall condition and hours..  Good compression, no smoke or noises, it may be worth twice what others have estimated.  Bad engine, much less. 

The discolored hood is really common, either from heavy  summer work/exhaust heat or someone that doesn't properly use the choke.  Really unusual to have one run rich.  If it's oil soot, see above.

As to the shifter indicating older model, all 4xxx/4xx/2xx/4xx Case/Ingersolls are two speed, old and newer.

regarding the leaks:  could be most anything.  My 4016 started to drip oil all over the place.  Just a bunch of loose clamps.  At worst you may need a hose or line.  The only hose I'd recommend dealer sourcing is the pump to travel control valve,  Length and fitting angle are critical to ease of installation.  It's a bear at best, don't make it worse with a part that's almost right.

#12 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 08:29 PM

As to the shifter being older model I'm referring to being lever and not the newer round knob in slot under seat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ingersoll, 4020