skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,837 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 09:33 AM

Boys and girls with new tractors.. Pay attention to the location of the fuel shut off valve!!! You may need it!!!
A friend just had his new kubota go into "Re-gen" and it wound that engine right tite!! And I literally mean tight!! He said it buried the tach and was smoking profusely and then it stopped....the hard way...

Edited by skyrydr2, March 19, 2017 - 05:53 AM.

• hamman, KennyP, Lmiller3358 and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,050 Thanks
  • 44,073 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 09:35 AM

Sorry for his loss!

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 10:24 AM

Hopefully it was still under warranty.  Kubota is usually pretty good about that.  Hate to hear of that happening.  Gas or diesel?

#4 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,466 Thanks
  • 1,412 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 10:36 AM

Stupid newer diesel's with DEF, Had an owner operators truck go down at work last week, $14,000 just to replace the one box, we call it the easy bake oven. Had to fight with Frieghtliner and Detroit for warranty coverage..thankfully they covered most of it !!!

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,353 Thanks
  • 7,733 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 11:45 AM

"Regan" new term to me.  Old Detroits used to do that and hard to stop, so don't think is from NEW emissions?  There was someting mechanically wrong I would say.  The new Chevy trucks have had those systems a few years now, haven't heard from anyone on how they are working out.

• propane1 said thank you

#6 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 629 Thanks
  • 399 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 02:14 PM

Not something I really want to hear about the new ones.  I've got a customers Branson at work right now that has the new emmisions system with a funky looking muffler/cat setup on it and what looks like a computer up by the battery.  I can just imagine how much it'd cost to replace if it went out not to mention trying to test everything to see what failed to find the problem

• propane1 said thank you

#7 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,973 Thanks
  • 1,247 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 02:47 PM

Stupid newer diesel's with DEF, Had an owner operators truck go down at work last week, $14,000 just to replace the one box, we call it the easy bake oven. Had to fight with Frieghtliner and Detroit for warranty coverage..thankfully they covered most of it !!!

Ah DEF.. 2014 fruit liner I drove blew transmission due to a KNOWN faulty oil line.  The 2014 fruit liner Im driving now would not do a REGEN on the fly so not sure how many dollars company spent to fix that flaw. Regens are 40 minutes. Its a very costly system to maintain and no doubt has ruined many O/O's

• Lmiller3358 said thank you

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,417 Thanks
  • 7,227 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 03:43 PM

Jazz I had a truck, M2 Freightliner that wouldn't do a regen because the DEF tank heater valve wasn't working . The driver dove it until the red light came on and the truck went into limp mode .He couldn't even use the dash REGEN button at that point , lucky when I drove out with the laptop the tank temp was 49*f so I was able to run it with the laptop . The tow truck guys are making $$$ with all the problems these new trucks have.

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,837 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 05:51 AM

GL its a kubota not a Detroit 2 cycle diesel that runs away because it starts burning engine oil sucked out of the oil pan becase a sleeve seal failed..
All these new re-generation engines are computer operated. Most fail due to a software issue.

#10 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,837 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 03:29 AM

Well it seems Kubota has a bullitin out for this issue! It is caused by cold weather and they need to install a bunch of new heated tubes and such to the crankcase venting.
Essentially what his did was suck oil up through the crankcase venting for emissions. So they say..it basically snuffed itself out with its own oil thus hydraulically locking up the engine. (It wasn't bad enough to lock it solid just enough so it turned over slower than normal)
Dealer said everything was fine on it and no damage to the engine? Hmmm I would be leary of rod damage myself but These little engines are well built.we'll run them 6500rpm in the pulling rigs day after day...
So you guys with new 'boties in cold climates.. get the service bullitins looked at..
  • Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#11 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted March 24, 2017 - 05:32 PM

Sounds like a good time to start fixing the older stuff and keeping it.  I am certainly glad I have no need of these money pits.  The place of employ has several "jockey" trucks, what a pita they are, always have some kind of issue requiring service absolute money pits.