• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 04:37 PM

um.... that may be one of the most ridiculous looking Bolens i've seen! :wallbanging: :wallbanging:

If you can even call it a Bolens anymore

• fonz3482, blackjackjakexxix, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#3 637Yeoman ONLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 04:54 PM

um.... that may be one of the most ridiculous looking Bolens i've seen! :wallbanging: :wallbanging:

If you can even call it a Bolens anymore

Who in their right mind would do such a thing. If it was cool, which its not, then thats one thing. I just dont get people anymore

*Edit

Wisconsin made diesels? 

Huh i guess you learn something everyday

In this case, two things.

The fact that some people like to ruin a nice bolens,

And that Wisconsin made diesels lol

Edited by 637Yeoman, March 15, 2017 - 05:49 PM.

• Bolens 1000, fonz3482, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#4 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,117 Thanks
  • 720 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 05:09 PM

In the add it says a lot of time went into making the tractor. Well if he wouldn't of spent all that time hacking the thing he could of mounted the motor with out a 42" plate sitting on top of the frame!! :wallbanging:  The engine has mounts on it and they are not that wide to warrant the use of that huge plate. He probably has has a ton of time into fabricating half a hood too.... :rolling: This could of been done so much better and cleaner, but its too late now, and the unique qualities of his Build obviously make it worth more than an all original and extra clean 1050... :mad2:  OK, sorry, rant over..... :beer:

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, Lmiller3358 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,112 Thanks
  • 920 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 05:41 PM

Can't seem to find any specs on that engine. What do you suppose it's value is? Don

• 637Yeoman and pryan05 have said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Oh, shoot!!!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,789 Thanks
  • 8,919 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 07:23 PM

Well, it's not irrepairable. Cut that dumb plate down or remove it. Then put as much of the hood back on as possible. How would you engineers do it?

• pryan05 said thank you

#7 pryan05 OFFLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 438 Thanks
  • 240 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 08:23 PM

Can't seem to find any specs on that engine. What do you suppose it's value is? Don

Ruggerini are very good diesel motors.  I believe Kohler bought them.  I've seen diesel welding machine with these motor very dependable but very noisy.  Yeah, that's not the best install job, 12 beer maybe?

#8 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,244 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 08:29 PM

lol, It almost looks like a section of mower deck that he mounted the engine to and hung off the front of it.

• pryan05 said thank you

#9 Doug E. OFFLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 197 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 08:49 PM

I'm guessing that the engine is about 10hp.  I suspect the model number is not a Ruggerini number, but a Wisconsin number. 

I can't fault the builder on the hood, as the engine is too large to fit under it.  He could have trimmed the mounting a bit however. 

I picked up a 14 hp single cylinder Lombardini to put in a large frame, but I would have the same problem with the height, even on the large frame.  It is tough to find a little diesel that fits nicely in these tractors, at least in higher Hp ratings.  I am a believer in all the hp I can get for the snowblower, but am not too concerned for tiling or mowing.  

As pryan05 said, Ruggerini engines have a good reputation, and I believe Kohler bought both Ruggerini and Lombardini, although I have heard that Deutz has them now. 

The tube frames are easier to convert in the respect that all the power comes off one end of the engine, where as on the large frames and medium frames, power is taken off both ends.  This allows the tube frame conversion to extend farther out the front with out having to consider matching up to the PTO.  Some of the little Kubotas fit well, but you do have the radiator to deal with. 

Regards,

Doug

• pryan05 said thank you

#10 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,117 Thanks
  • 720 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 10:00 PM

I have nothing against the motor and it is probably a great motor, but I like to see these tractors saved if at all possible, and when not possible I like to see clean repowers. Just my opinion, but I know some others feel the same way. When you have to cut up and destroy a tractor that bad for a motor it just doesn't make any sense to me. I myself have a repowered 1256 I just bought. Is it perfect, no... But with just a few minor things changed/adjusted you would never know the tractor didn't come from the factory with the briggs 18hp twin in it. The hood is original, it closes properly and is cut in the grille area. But the grille has been refinished with steel mesh so it looks pretty good and proper.  The dash, key, switches are all original. On my 1856(LOL) I would change my fuel tank and Battery mounting a bit, but it appealed to me because it looks like a stock Bolens. A great example of an awesome repower is Austen's Large frame! That i whole machine is a work of Bolens art in my opinion.

• Austen and pryan05 have said thanks

#11 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,283 Thanks
  • 927 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 11:16 PM

The Wisconsin diesels were actually re-badged Ducati engines, most likely made in Italy by Ducati but badged by them as Wisconsin under a private-label agreement, and shipped over to the USA. I actually have an HT20D Large Frame with the Wisconsin WD2-860 engine, and a Ducati 2 IS-22 engine that I picked up as a parts spare. The engines are identical, but the one says Wisconsin, and the other says Ducati. The fuel shut-off provisions are slightly different, but that's about it. I have heard that Wisconsin and Ducati got into some kind of p**sing contest with each other, which might explain why the HT20D was only offered in two model years, while the HT23 gas engine tractor it was based on soldiered on.

• ClassicBolens and pryan05 have said thanks

#12 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 62 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 16, 2017 - 09:28 AM

Finally decided to jump in on this one. I guess I would have to be sitting in the seat mowing with it before saying yay or nay. It might just be a sweet running- grass eating machine.Not my intention here to try and start trouble or slam someone elses work !! To each their own. BUT- I myself would have done a few things differently,but that just me !! I am sure people look at some of my "work" and wonder what time- zone I came from too. The mounting plate for the motor would, could have been much smaller, if even needed. Maybe it was.I did mounting plates on both my tube re-powers. I would have probably crafted some sort of a hood that covered everything, with a grille and working headlites. Even if it was a hood pirated from some other brand tractor. Again just me! The starter-genny would have been mounted on a bracket mounted to the motor if possible and the regulator under the hood somewhere. The oil pressure gauge would have been mounted somewhere other than just clamped to the tapered steering column. I wonder how long that will stay tight? Where is the fender pan? Seat might be OK. Looks like the one deck guide wheel is worn clean through? Dark spot on it. And after all that work,the front wheels weren't even cleaned and re-painted. Although at some point someone tried, as there is a big run of red paint on the tire. Maybe these pics were taken before it had the finishing touches put on it? Quite possibly this tractor was saved from a one way trip to the scrap shredder? I do like the modern diesel motor- tube frame re-power idea ! 

• 29 Chev and pryan05 have said thanks