142 replies to this topic

#106 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • Member No: 86131
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 04:01 PM

Alright you guys,

I got something new. Since I have had plenty of time this weekend, I decided to give the carb another cleaning. I double checked all the passages and re-cleaned them with carb cleaner and compressed air. Put it back together, and gave it another go. I can actually get the deck on and drive around as long as I don't put it to cut grass. As soon as I do, it begins to die down until it stalls.

Here is the new thing I noticed. I opened the gas tank to make sure I had enough fuel and reached down to check if the valve was fully opened when I bumped into the fuel line and a lot of bubbles started to come out. Shook it a few more times and I was surprised at how much bubbles I had in there. I think that is my problem. Air is replacing my fuel and starving my engine. I know the hole on the cap is working fine, and I also know, every time when I open the fuel valve, my fingers are wet from fuel. I just never thought it was a problem but I bet that is where the air is coming from. I'll be looking for a gasket or new valve this week.

Thanks again for looking

GhoSt

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#107 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 11:34 AM

Hey guys,

I was able to get the tractor to mow on short grass. Maybe around 4-6 in tall. Anything taller and the tractor begins to die out. Still working on proper fuel delivery though but I have a another question. Realistically, what should I expect this machine to do? Some areas I have really thick grasses. Others tall (like 2ft tall) and in others a combination of the two.

Thanks for looking.
GhoSt

#108 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 221 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hey guys,

I was able to get the tractor to mow on short grass. Maybe around 4-6 in tall. Anything taller and the tractor begins to die out. Still working on proper fuel delivery though but I have a another question. Realistically, what should I expect this machine to do? Some areas I have really thick grasses. Others tall (like 2ft tall) and in others a combination of the two.

Thanks for looking.
GhoSt

I use my 750 (7HP) to mow around my pasture fence with a 32" deck. The first time I mowed in first gear and had to move slow and occasionally stop, but that was in grass well over 2' tall. I think I stalled it a handful of times, but it did the job admirably. I'd think a 1050 would do it well.

The problem I had was grass getting wound up on the front PTO shaft, so I hung a small bit of sheetmetal in front of it to help keep it off the shaft.

• Bolens 1000 and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#109 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for looking.
GhoSt

2 foot tall grass you definietly want low gear, Normal grass 2-6'' should be able to handle 1st or second high, I mow in first gear high on my machines 2nd is just a bit too fast for my liking

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#110 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 05:03 PM

Awesome. Thanks you guys. Just what I wanted to hear.

#111 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 09:58 PM

Alright guys!!!!

It might be to early to scream victory but I just cut grass for about an hr straight! There were some patches that would bog her down but she just kept pushing on. Not once did she stall on me. Man if feels good! But she has a lot of work to do. Hope she holds up this time.

I want to thank you guys again for helping me out.

And even though I'd wish to be done with it, there is still a lot to do. Next thing I have to fix is the PTO and the locking differential.

... To be continued...

Thanks again for looking. Ill upload some pictures this week.

GhoSt

Edited by GhoSt85, July 06, 2017 - 12:05 AM.

• Bolens 1000, TomLGT195, 29 Chev and 2 others have said thanks

#112 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted July 06, 2017 - 08:11 AM

Glad to hear your up and running!

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#113 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,677 Thanks
  • 994 posts

Posted July 06, 2017 - 11:30 AM

Doesn't it feel great when you've reached a certain goal!  Great Job!  It's been fun and interesting to follow along!

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#114 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted July 06, 2017 - 10:17 PM

Doesn't it feel great when you've reached a certain goal!  Great Job!  It's been fun and interesting to follow along!

Hell yes it does! Thank you! :D

Unfortunately, I am still having an issue but I am hoping its an easy one to fix. I tried cutting some thicker stuff, its not much maybe 6-12in tall grass, and its still wants to die out on me. What I am noticing is that, what is going in, isn't coming out. So I feel like maybe the deck is clogging up. I know I have the blades facing the right way. What type of blades do you guys recommend? The ones I am using look like first one on the picture.

Thanks for looking

GhoSt

Attached Thumbnails

• Blades.jpg

Edited by GhoSt85, July 06, 2017 - 10:24 PM.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#115 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 12:03 AM

Ok, so it looks like I have the correct blades... and as it turns out, the only blades available. I will sharpen them and see how that goes. If not, looks like my troubles are not yet over. But seeing as to how well its running, I think I am close.

#116 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,421 Thanks
  • 7,231 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 05:27 AM

Good to see you pretty much have a handle on the running issues . I know what you mean about when the grass gets so tall it has a hard time discharging . Maybe someone has a special way that do it other then go slooooow lol

• Mark 149 J. and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#117 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 06:00 AM

Only one blade was available for these decks 1721299 is the part number, I stock them new if needed

Make sure yours are sharp and the angled tips that throw the grass are not worn.

I just replaced the blades on my deck this year with new ones and the difference was incredible

• Alc, Mark 149 J. and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#118 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 06:56 PM

Alright guys,

So, I am still not getting it. For the governor I got her on the 4th hole, spring is just tight enough so that it doesn't sag, she starts up fast and strong. Moves with out a problem on all gears except 3rd high. And blades are sharp. I Can mow short grass, probably no higher then 4-6in. Exhaust does not smell unusual and no smoke on cold or hot starts. Carb setting is at 1 1/2 turn on main jet and 3/4 turn on idle screw.

I have cleaned the carb twice. All the ports flow well. The gaskets are in good shape. Carb does not leak, but I feel like under heavy load it is still not getting enough fuel. And earlier today after about 20min of mowing, I turned the mower off and heard a sound that was similar to gurgling. Didn't get the chance to see where it was coming from because by the time I got down from the tractor and opened the hood, the noise was gone.

After reading the manual, I am now suspecting either vapor lock or the fuel valve needle. If you guys could show me how the fuel line is suppose to be routed? Also, how the needle and float go? I've looked at diagrams and It has not seemed to help me out so if I could get some pictures please. One thing that does seem a little weird to me is that, on the carbs I have messed with, the float usually holds the needle. So when the float drops, it brings the needle down with it to let in fuel. On mine, the needle kind of just floats there and I guess its suppose to drop when the fuel level and float drops. Maybe I am missing something? One thing I have not mention is that I have a partial rebuild kit with a spare needle if I need to replace it.

And what happens with the 3rd High, the engine bogs down and sometimes will die or it will very slowly begin to pick up speed.

Thanks again for looking,

GhoSt

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#119 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 07:15 PM

Fuel line goes through the tank bracket hole and then behind the shroud next to the cooling fins.

Dont have any pics of the carbs saved on file maybe someone else can chime in and help, if you got the rebuild kit from me there was an instruction sheet that should show float setting, the float does keep the needle valve in place

The lack of engine power could still be carb or valve issues, have you checked the carb for warped sides?

• 29 Chev, Mark 149 J. and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#120 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,104 Thanks
  • 2,319 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 07:17 PM

I believe the fuel line should be routed across behing the flywheel if it is the same as a TRA10D  - http://gardentractor...project/page-28 post 415 pictures 7 and 8.  The fuel line does a 90 degree bend and goes on to the carb inlet fitting on the right hand side and the left side pushes on to the fuel tank valve -  http://gardentractor...project/page-29   post 423 figure 4 and   http://gardentractor...project/page-31    post 461 figure 8.  I added a fuel filter just after the fuel tank shut off valve on mine - hope this helps.  If you do not have the heat shield that you were missing on the right side of the engine that is painted ivory on my engine you could have things getting hot that may cause a vapour lock problem - just a thought.

• Mark 149 J. and GhoSt85 have said thanks