Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,709 Thanks
  • 2,364 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 04:16 PM

Here's another page of info about the D/R starter-generators used on Bolens tractors which may prove useful.

http://gardentractor...-starter-parts/

• Bolens 1000, 29 Chev, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#92 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • Member No: 86131
  • 78 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 01, 2017 - 08:02 PM

Attached are cleaned up pages for the starter generator and carb parts from the service manual - the carb theory is also explained in them.

Here's another page of info about the D/R starter-generators used on Bolens tractors which may prove useful.

http://gardentractor...-starter-parts/

Awesome, Thanks you guys! :firejumper:

#93 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 78 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 05:25 PM

Hey Guys,

Small update. Just finished my brakes. I am still having one issue with it. It is not returning all the way. I have to push down on the lever when I press the clutch and release it or the brake will remain somewhat engaged. Is there some adjustment I can do or is this normal?

DSC_0087JPG_zpsmxqpssyb.jpg

If you guys do this, use tape. Never used JB Weld so I put it on and walked away for a bit. Came back to it flowing over the piece and threw the hole. cleaned it up and used tape to keep it all in where I wanted.

DSC_0126JPG_zpszba0irxl.jpg

Used a flat file and sand paper to sand it down and drilled a new hole.

DSC_0131JPG_zps0cnzjsgf.jpg

Gave it a couple of whacks with a hammer. Not pretty but did the job nicely.

DSC_0135JPG_zpsdbr85uvf.jpg

When you put it back. Make sure you mock it up and mark how the brake goes so you don't install it wrong.

DSC_0137JPG_zps1l66yrlf.jpg

And there it is!

Next I will be working on the gen/starter and probably getting a new battery.

Thanks for looking

GhoSt

Edited by GhoSt85, May 04, 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#94 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 5,938 Thanks
  • 1,967 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Just finished my brakes. I am still having one issue with it. It is not returning all the way. I have to push down on the lever when I press the clutch and release it or the brake will remain somewhat engaged. Is there some adjustment I can do or is this normal?

I assume the lever that you push down on is the parking brake lever and the issues is the brake pad is still rubbing against the brake hub?    Check out the Tube Frame Service Manual and make sure you have the brake mechanism adjusted properly - http://gardentractor...ervice600-1155/   - Section 5-10 (page 84 of the pdf) lower part of the page - Models 1000 and later with 6 speed transmission.  If it is adjusted properly something may be binding or the spring that returns the arm may need one more turn to cause the arm to move away from the brake drum.

Edited by 29 Chev, May 04, 2017 - 08:30 PM.

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#95 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 78 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 09:27 PM

I assume the lever that you push down on is the parking brake lever and the issues is the brake pad is still rubbing against the brake hub? Check out the Tube Frame Service Manual and make sure you have the brake mechanism adjusted properly - http://gardentractor...ervice600-1155/ - Section 5-10 (page 84 of the pdf) lower part of the page - Models 1000 and later with 6 speed transmission. If it is adjusted properly something may be binding or the spring that returns the arm may need one more turn to cause the arm to move away from the brake drum.

Hey Chev, thank you! Ill take a look tomorrow!

Thank you!
Ghost

Edited by GhoSt85, May 06, 2017 - 09:28 PM.

#96 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 78 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 11, 2017 - 09:43 PM

Hey guys small update,

After checking the brakes, the rod is slightly bent so it binds keeping the brake from releasing. I'll keep it like that for now until I take care of a more important matter.

Sooo... after opening the generator, the bearing by the pulley was completely seized and there is wobble in the rear bearing.

rsz_dsc_0163_zpsp6dyrjof.jpg

I will order the bearings this week. Everything else seems to be in good shape.

I have also been thinking about attachments that I want and need. These are what I would like to make or acquire In no specific order.

Dump Cart

Cultivator

Box Blade

Rake

Loader

Tiller

First on the list, I will attempt to make me a dump cart!

26687_zpszrw2uvqp.jpg

I got this wheelbarrow at a yard sale for $5 that I will use.

rsz_dsc_0140_zpsuplsejja.jpg

Since I want to get the tractor running first, I would like to design it in the mean time. Maybe those of you who own one can pitch in and guide me? Would be nice to be able to make it look somewhat like the original. :D

Thanks for looking,

GhoSt

Edited by GhoSt85, May 11, 2017 - 09:55 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#97 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,709 Thanks
  • 2,364 posts

Posted May 11, 2017 - 10:38 PM

http://gardentractor...-110-dump-cart/

This is a link to some info on the Brinly dump cart.  ...You can get an idea of what the brackets look like.

I don't own one any longer, but maybe some kind owner of one can provide dimensions for you.

• Bolens 1000 and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#98 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 78 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 08:52 AM

http://gardentractor...-110-dump-cart/

This is a link to some info on the Brinly dump cart.  ...You can get an idea of what the brackets look like.

I don't own one any longer, but maybe some kind owner of one can provide dimensions for you.

Thank you! :thumbs: :D