Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,863 Thanks
  • 2,430 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 04:16 PM

Here's another page of info about the D/R starter-generators used on Bolens tractors which may prove useful.

http://gardentractor...-starter-parts/

• Bolens 1000, 29 Chev, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#92 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • Member No: 86131
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted May 01, 2017 - 08:02 PM

Attached are cleaned up pages for the starter generator and carb parts from the service manual - the carb theory is also explained in them.

Here's another page of info about the D/R starter-generators used on Bolens tractors which may prove useful.

http://gardentractor...-starter-parts/

Awesome, Thanks you guys! :firejumper:

#93 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 05:25 PM

Hey Guys,

Small update. Just finished my brakes. I am still having one issue with it. It is not returning all the way. I have to push down on the lever when I press the clutch and release it or the brake will remain somewhat engaged. Is there some adjustment I can do or is this normal?

DSC_0087JPG_zpsmxqpssyb.jpg

If you guys do this, use tape. Never used JB Weld so I put it on and walked away for a bit. Came back to it flowing over the piece and threw the hole. cleaned it up and used tape to keep it all in where I wanted.

DSC_0126JPG_zpszba0irxl.jpg

Used a flat file and sand paper to sand it down and drilled a new hole.

DSC_0131JPG_zps0cnzjsgf.jpg

Gave it a couple of whacks with a hammer. Not pretty but did the job nicely.

DSC_0135JPG_zpsdbr85uvf.jpg

When you put it back. Make sure you mock it up and mark how the brake goes so you don't install it wrong.

DSC_0137JPG_zps1l66yrlf.jpg

And there it is!

Next I will be working on the gen/starter and probably getting a new battery.

Thanks for looking

GhoSt

Edited by GhoSt85, May 04, 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#94 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,105 Thanks
  • 2,321 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Just finished my brakes. I am still having one issue with it. It is not returning all the way. I have to push down on the lever when I press the clutch and release it or the brake will remain somewhat engaged. Is there some adjustment I can do or is this normal?

I assume the lever that you push down on is the parking brake lever and the issues is the brake pad is still rubbing against the brake hub?    Check out the Tube Frame Service Manual and make sure you have the brake mechanism adjusted properly - http://gardentractor...ervice600-1155/   - Section 5-10 (page 84 of the pdf) lower part of the page - Models 1000 and later with 6 speed transmission.  If it is adjusted properly something may be binding or the spring that returns the arm may need one more turn to cause the arm to move away from the brake drum.

Edited by 29 Chev, May 04, 2017 - 08:30 PM.

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#95 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 09:27 PM

I assume the lever that you push down on is the parking brake lever and the issues is the brake pad is still rubbing against the brake hub? Check out the Tube Frame Service Manual and make sure you have the brake mechanism adjusted properly - http://gardentractor...ervice600-1155/ - Section 5-10 (page 84 of the pdf) lower part of the page - Models 1000 and later with 6 speed transmission. If it is adjusted properly something may be binding or the spring that returns the arm may need one more turn to cause the arm to move away from the brake drum.

Hey Chev, thank you! Ill take a look tomorrow!

Thank you!
Ghost

Edited by GhoSt85, May 06, 2017 - 09:28 PM.

#96 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted May 11, 2017 - 09:43 PM

Hey guys small update,

After checking the brakes, the rod is slightly bent so it binds keeping the brake from releasing. I'll keep it like that for now until I take care of a more important matter.

Sooo... after opening the generator, the bearing by the pulley was completely seized and there is wobble in the rear bearing.

rsz_dsc_0163_zpsp6dyrjof.jpg

I will order the bearings this week. Everything else seems to be in good shape.

I have also been thinking about attachments that I want and need. These are what I would like to make or acquire In no specific order.

Dump Cart

Cultivator

Box Blade

Rake

Loader

Tiller

First on the list, I will attempt to make me a dump cart!

26687_zpszrw2uvqp.jpg

I got this wheelbarrow at a yard sale for $5 that I will use.

rsz_dsc_0140_zpsuplsejja.jpg

Since I want to get the tractor running first, I would like to design it in the mean time. Maybe those of you who own one can pitch in and guide me? Would be nice to be able to make it look somewhat like the original. :D

Thanks for looking,

GhoSt

Edited by GhoSt85, May 11, 2017 - 09:55 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#97 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,863 Thanks
  • 2,430 posts

Posted May 11, 2017 - 10:38 PM

http://gardentractor...-110-dump-cart/

This is a link to some info on the Brinly dump cart.  ...You can get an idea of what the brackets look like.

I don't own one any longer, but maybe some kind owner of one can provide dimensions for you.

• Bolens 1000 and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#98 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 08:52 AM

http://gardentractor...-110-dump-cart/

This is a link to some info on the Brinly dump cart.  ...You can get an idea of what the brackets look like.

I don't own one any longer, but maybe some kind owner of one can provide dimensions for you.

Thank you! :thumbs: :D

#99 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 11:57 AM

Hey guys,

Still here. I have a couple of pics to share but haven't taken the time to upload them yet. They are coming but... I did get my deck going thanks to bolens1000 :D

IMG_4911_zpsd476i7yu.jpg

But now I have a problem. I can't seem to get the tractor to run right with it. I know the deck is good because when I disengage the PTO, the blades keep going for a couple of turns before coming to a stop. So it spins freely.

Here is my problem, tractor drives great under no load. Tractor runs great when I turn on the blades. But I can't seem to do both. Depending on adjustment it will either just die out or it will start strong and begin to slowly die down. I can probably get around 5 feet before it bogs out and dies.

I've messed around with the main jet and messed with the governor a bit and I can't seem to get it to run right with the deck on.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Jesse

Edited by GhoSt85, June 30, 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#100 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,952 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 12:12 PM

Looks Good,

When you made the carb adjustments did you do it after the engine got to operating temperature (About 10-15 minutes of running)

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#101 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 998 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 01:11 PM

It sounds like it's not getting enough fuel. 

Does it put out any black smoke or smell like a lot of raw fuel isn't being burned when it bogs down?

Does it start back up right away?

Does it run really hot?

A lean running engine will bog easily and run hot.

Edited by Mark 149 J., June 30, 2017 - 01:11 PM.

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#102 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 01:17 PM

Looks Good,

When you made the carb adjustments did you do it after the engine got to operating temperature (About 10-15 minutes of running)

Yes. Warmed her up and took her for a small drive. Then proceeded to shortest patch of grass. Tried easing on the PTO and the clutch as well but to no avail. So then started messing with the main jet. I couldn't get it to mow more then 5-10ft but by the end of it, it was down to a crawl and the whole tractor would shake. Adjusting it even further any direction would just cause it to die. All adjustments were done 1/4 turn at a time and played with the clutch to keep it alive to give it time to adjust to the new settings. I looked up the manual to adjust the governor and did some research. I adjusted to the spring to have just enough tension to keep the spring from sagging. Moved the spring to different holes and resetting the carb back to the 1 1/4 turn and proceeded to adjust it and still nothing.

Now, I can't keep it alive on any gear. :wallbanging:  I doesn't just die though. Turns on beautify and when I put it in gear and go, it takes off great and proceedes to bog down and die slowly. Gaahhhhh!!!! The frustrations lol

I am probably just trying to find solutions where there are non but one thing I am thinking might be attributing to my problem is my fuel line. If I am not mistaken, this engine is gravity fed, I have a slight dip after the fuel tank which might be causing my engine to starve under load. Is this possible even thought the line seems to be full of fuel?

IMG_4913_zpsejwozdig.jpg

Thanks in advance

Jesse

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#103 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 01:26 PM

It sounds like it's not getting enough fuel.  That is just what I thought!!!!

Does it put out any black smoke or smell like a lot of raw fuel isn't being burned when it bogs down? No black smoke and I haven't payed attention to the smell. Ill be sure to keep my nose open to it.

Does it start back up right away? Yes, starts right back up

Does it run really hot? It does... But then again, I have no clue what hot is for this engine since I've never really had it running top notch for to long because then something else needed repair. But I can tell you is that, I just put a heat shield on the engine and the air coming out blows right next to the exhaust and it is HOT! its been a pain adjusting the main jet.

A lean running engine will bog easily and run hot. I think you are on to something!!! :firejumper:

This gives me some hope. I will change the fuel line because that one is stiff and shorten it so the fuel doesn't dip so low. Reset everything else and try it again.

Thanks again guys!

GhoSt

#104 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 998 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 03:21 PM

It probably wouldn't hurt to shorten your fuel like you suspect but I have a feeling that it not part of the problem.  I think you have a plugged passage way in the carb.  Has the carb been taken apart and clean up?  Did you blow compressed air through any of the passages.  I have also used speaker wire to make sure a passage way was clear.  Good luck!

Edited by Mark 149 J., June 30, 2017 - 05:31 PM.

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#105 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 04:38 PM

It probably wouldn't hurt to shorten your fuel like you suspect but I have a feeling that it not part of the problem.  I think you have a plugged passage way in the carb.  Has the carb been taken apart and clean up?  Did you blow compressed air through any of the passages.  I have also used speaker wire to make sure a passage way was clear.  God luck!

It didn't do much. I am still having the same problem. I have cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and compressed air but I'll reclean it again. Think I am going to buy the gasket kit this time around and rebuild it as well. Hope that fixes the problem.

Thanks again for helping me out.

GhoSt