• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#16 captaindemo17 OFFLINE  

captaindemo17
  • Member No: 78684
  • 29 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 08:04 AM

Curious as to what size your control rod is and what you used for the bushing it slides through ? I used 5/8" rod but couldnt find any tubing that I could slide it through without being somewhat sloppy.

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#17 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • Member No: 86131
  • 79 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 11:03 AM

I use 1/2" iron pipe for the pin, but I run a 41/64" (just over 5/8") through it, You do not want to 'pin' that plow so it can't s
swing. Let it have a little movement (swing). It will center up when it goes in the ground.

You have a nice tractor and the hitch came out good too . You might want to start a thread in the Tilling and Plowing forum for setting the plow correctly . That plow on a walkbehind will swing side to side out of the ground but if set up correctly will plow straight behind . My garden is on a slight slope so I made stops so when I got to the end and turned the plow it wouldn't swing so far . Others with sleeve hitches might have some good ideas for you.

Aw ok. So it does need to have some swing. Ill check that subforum. Thank you!

Curious as to what size your control rod is and what you used for the bushing it slides through ? I used 5/8" rod but couldnt find any tubing that I could slide it through without being somewhat sloppy.

Hey Captaindemo, I used a 1/2in sch40 pipe. The id should be close to 5/8". Like Kenny said, if you can find a 41/64 bit. Run it through or use a 5/8 bit and wiggle it around on both side so it stays uniform until the rod can slide through. Which is what I did since thats what I had on hand. It doesnt take much since the original hole is almost the right size.

Thanks for looking and your help guys!
Ghost
  • KennyP said thank you

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 7,035 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 03:50 PM

I don't think it needs to swing but maybe members that have done a lot of plowing will be of some help
  • GhoSt85 said thank you

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,197 Thanks
  • 42,670 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 06:58 AM

I don't think it needs to swing but maybe members that have done a lot of plowing will be of some help

Yes, sleeve hitch plows do need some swing. If you do take all the swing out, how would you know if the plow is straight behind the tractor? A plow will find that by itself. You just need to limit the swing so it stays close to centered. 

Another issue with locking it is it won't drive down the furrow straight, tries to turn the tractor left or right.

• Alc, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 2 others have said thanks

#20 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 79 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 12:32 PM

Yes, sleeve hitch plows do need some swing. If you do take all the swing out, how would you know if the plow is straight behind the tractor? A plow will find that by itself. You just need to limit the swing so it stays close to centered. 

Another issue with locking it is it won't drive down the furrow straight, tries to turn the tractor left or right.

Ok, So I've been messing with it and reading up on plowing. I do need to make a bracket to keep it from swinging all the way to the left or right but I think I am on the right track.

Thank you guys!

I also went and order some things. First! Thank you Bolens1000 for your fast shipping!

5118942861_zpsn2djemmw.jpg

5118942801_zpshtmome28.jpg

DSC_0159JPG_zpshpd4apyr.jpg

Just a good rule of thumb that I should have known, install the new throttle cable and measure it that way, I used what was on there which was also a replacement and because I never really payed attention didn't realize that it was a little to short but... it still works! Just have about 1/4" less travel.

And second! Got some clutch liners from Samsbolens. Fast shipping from them too!

DSC_0165JPG_zpsjhwkhkzw.jpg

Now, I have searched a bit but nobody explains how to remove the remaining old clutch liner. Could someone explain or point me in the right direction? Also, these liners seem a little on the thin side compared to what the old pad used to look like from my google search. I hope I wont have to replace them again in like 3 months.

Thanks for looking!

GhoSt!

Edited by GhoSt85, March 23, 2017 - 12:37 PM.

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, Austen and 1 other said thanks

#21 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,921 Thanks
  • 17,713 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 06:48 PM

The OEM discs were about 1/8'' thick  I believe

The originals  were made of asbestos so a wire wheel to remove them is not the best option, A cold chisel usually is good to break the discs free then all you have to do is clean up the glue residue.

• boyscout862, Newpaws493 and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#22 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 79 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 08:34 PM

The OEM discs were about 1/8'' thick  I believe

The originals  were made of asbestos so a wire wheel to remove them is not the best option, A cold chisel usually is good to break the discs free then all you have to do is clean up the glue residue.

Oh ok and thank you! Working pretty good!

Here are the pics of the clutch taken apart. At first I thought it was stuck so I was pounding away with a mallet and a 1x2. Turns out all I had to do was unscrew the one side that has the threads lol :wallbanging:

DSC_0167JPG_zpsgaeafxa1.jpg

DSC_0170JPG_zpsn1ajhflc.jpg

DSC_0171JPG_zpsckhttefk.jpg

DSC_0177JPG_zpsrqttxpvb.jpg

DSC_0179JPG_zpsswjtzjdr.jpg

DSC_0180JPG_zps93iwjn1h.jpg

DSC_0181JPG_zpsebbv7hxe.jpg

I do have a question, if you look at the brake plate, it wore out uneven. Although its not much, there is a groove on the side that looks cleaner. Would that be an issue or is it safe to use it like that?

I will also be replace some bearings. The needle bearing are good but since I am going to press them out, might as well replace them. And the bearing on the press plate stops almost as soon as I spin it so Ill be replacing that one as well.

Thanks for looking,

GhoSt

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#23 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,921 Thanks
  • 17,713 posts

Posted March 24, 2017 - 05:18 AM

The plate dosent look too bad the main thing is getting the surface flat so the adhesive sticks to it.

I guess you were right about the discs being wore out!

If you have trouble sourcing the bearings local I stock all of those if needed.

• boyscout862 and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#24 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,147 Thanks
  • 702 posts

Posted March 24, 2017 - 04:42 PM

Nice work! :-)

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#25 captaindemo17 OFFLINE  

captaindemo17
  • Member No: 78684
  • 29 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 25, 2017 - 07:15 AM

What I did was to chisel the remaining liner off and make sure I was not getting the chisel into the metal. Then I ended up using a hand style sandblaster and going over the area where the disks would be mounted. The blaster cleaned the remaining clutch disk off and also at the same time giving me a nice rough area for the glue to stick to once you bake the new ones on.

• 29 Chev and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#26 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 79 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 08:24 PM

The plate dosent look too bad the main thing is getting the surface flat so the adhesive sticks to it.

I guess you were right about the discs being wore out!

If you have trouble sourcing the bearings local I stock all of those if needed.

Hey Bolens,

I did source out some bearings but I will be getting the ones I didn't from you. Thank you!

Nice work! :-)

Coming from you and what you are doing with your Bolens, I have to say thank you! Your tractor looks really stout with its new tires and spacers!

What I did was to chisel the remaining liner off and make sure I was not getting the chisel into the metal. Then I ended up using a hand style sandblaster and going over the area where the disks would be mounted. The blaster cleaned the remaining clutch disk off and also at the same time giving me a nice rough area for the glue to stick to once you bake the new ones on.

I am chiseling off the liner but I have no access to a sandblaster. :( Was thinking of hitting it with a wire brush afterwards. Hopefully that's not to aggressive on the surfaces. Thank you for the tip!

GhoSt

#27 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 79 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 10:05 AM

Hey Guys,

I am going over what I need for the clutch since I have it removed and as I was looking under the tractor to see why the brake lever doesn't return back, I noticed I was missing the torsion spring. Does anybody have one to spare that they are willing to let go?

Ref. No.    Part No.    Description

272           1721253   Torsion Spring

Thanks in advance,

GhoSt

#28 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,921 Thanks
  • 17,713 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 10:27 AM

I have those instock if you need one :)

• boyscout862 and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#29 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 79 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 10:38 AM

I have those instock if you need one :)

Really? I looked for it and couldn't find it. Let me give it another go. Might have made a typo. Thank you!

#30 GhoSt85 ONLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 79 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 10:40 AM

No sir, not under the part number. Do you think its listed under another? I tried searching it under torsion spring and nothing either.