• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#136 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • Member No: 86131
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 12:44 PM

If your head bolt were that loose that might explain the bogging down under load.  You might be losing compression reducing the amount of power the engine can produce.  That might also explain why you said the engine was getting so hot.  The exhaust gases are being vented around the head and not through the muffler.  New head gasket would be cheap insurance at this point.  
Sorry, can't help you on the governor.
Good luck.

It's been a few months since I tighten the bolts but I never checked the gasket. I think your right. Already ordered the new head gasket. :D
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#137 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,501 Thanks
  • 923 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 03:22 PM

It's been a few months since I tighten the bolts but I never checked the gasket. I think your right. Already ordered the new head gasket. :D

When you take the head off, make sure it is not warped.  You can make it nice and flat by using wet sandpaper on a piece of glass.  There is lots of information on the net of on here about how to do that.  

• 29 Chev and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#138 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 03:41 PM

When you take the head off, make sure it is not warped.  You can make it nice and flat by using wet sandpaper on a piece of glass.  There is lots of information on the net of on here about how to do that.  

Will do. Never would have crossed my mind. Thanks.

Ok, so I took the head off and the gasket seems to be good.

DSC_0043JPG_zpss5lmyb3p.jpg

I have to check the head for flatness but I noticed somethings. First, how much movement should I expect the piston to have? And second, should I expect any kind of movement for the valves? I have a feeling the exhaust valve or valve guide might be bad.

Next two pics, you can see that one side of the exhaust valve touches the block before the other side.

DSC_0056JPG_zpsxay2zxsm.jpg

DSC_0054JPG_zpsfjrnlk0b.jpg

And here is a video of it in action. If you look closely, you can see the exhaust valve move as it seats.

On a side note, I got a box blade. Anybody recognize the sleeve hitch? Owner said he had it on a cub cadet but I've been googling and I can't find one like it. This one has holes to move the mounting point to the right.

IMG_5267JPG_zpsz91olxnw.jpg

IMG_5268JPG_zpsgnx4uiln.jpg

IMG_5269JPG_zpscef3lj1k.jpg

IMG_5270JPG_zpsq1otvjvb.jpg

IMG_5271JPG_zpsvu43etn9.jpg

IMG_5272JPG_zpseyl5lmcu.jpg

IMG_5273JPG_zpsfaeyyrzc.jpg

Thanks for looking

GhoSt

#139 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,949 Thanks
  • 2,234 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 04:21 PM

Attached is a jpeg with the specs on the valve clearances from the Wisconsin Repair manual.  The piston will have some sideways movement - would think if it was really sloppy you would have heard it slapping with the engine running.  The only real way to tell is to check the clearances with a feeler gauge as per the manual.  Could not watch the video - said it was not available.  Looking at the pictures the intake valve (larger one) doesn't look to be seated quite right but it would be camera distortion. Again it is hard to tell on the clearances unless you remove the valve springs and have a good look at the seats and check the stems and guides for wear.

Attached Thumbnails

• Valve Clearance Specs On TR10D.jpg

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#140 LRCXed OFFLINE  

LRCXed
  • Member No: 87288
  • 164 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 04:49 PM

I'm with Chev, the intake valve looks warped/bent to me. Looking closely you can see dents on the edge that's closer to the valve seat. Check the combustion chamber in the head and see if you have dents in there. That would indicate the something got sucked through the carb, possibly a screw, and got rattled around in there and caught between the head and the valves bending the stems while it was running.

Either way I would pull the valves out, put them in a drill or a lathe and verify if they are indeed bent. But IMHO, they both are.

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#141 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 05:52 PM

OK you guys, try the video again.

I broke my regular lens and I've been using a small prime lens so its hard to get a close up because I can't zoom but I have some manual lenses I am going to try. The intake had no wobble so I didn't check if it was seated properly.  I will have to check.

And dam it! The more I look into it, the worse its getting lol

Edited by GhoSt85, July 18, 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#142 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,949 Thanks
  • 2,234 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 06:09 PM

And dam it! The more I look into it, the worse its getting lol

I feel your pain - the Bolens Bug is a cruel mistress - http://gardentractor...he-bolens-bug/ 

Perhaps it is time to invest in a second Bolens tractor to double your fun?

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#143 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 111 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 07:40 PM

I feel your pain - the Bolens Bug is a cruel mistress - http://gardentractor...he-bolens-bug/ 

Perhaps it is time to invest in a second Bolens tractor to double your fun?

Ha, that was dam good! Read it to my wife.... said that was me. ... I call lies though lol