81 replies to this topic

#1 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • Member No: 86131
  • 71 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted March 13, 2017 - 10:32 PM

Hey guys,

**Just signed up last night while I was searching for a hitch sleeve. If anybody has one they are willing to part with, please let me know.**

EDIT: Full story on how I got the tractor: http://gardentractor...ctors/?p=754747

I got this tractor about a month ago. Accidentally stumbled on it. It was in a dozen different pieces but never seen a tube frame before, got curious and googled it. Didn't take me long to tell myself I wanted it. Convinced my wife to let me get it and brought it home.

FullSizeR1_19_zpsoe2yrh9f.jpg

FullSizeR1_16_zpslkkroqme.jpg

FullSizeR1_12_zpsymhbtvrg.jpg

FullSizeR1_11_zpsp7ruo59p.jpg

I don't know about these tractors much but I already have a million different pdfs downloaded and I've been reading over sorting whats for me and what to delete. I must say that before this tractor, I had never heard of the brand before but its been fun learning it. Its been worked hard and from what seems to me, not much maintenance has been done to it.

Maintenance I've Done: Replaced engine and transmission oil. Greased all the zerks, lubricated all other moving joints. Tighten the rear axle end play. Adjusted the carb best I could and have been using Marvel Mystery Oil with High Octane fuel (Manual recommends no lower then 91). Good working front plow.

FullSizeR1_13_zpsdyk56drs.jpg

The Bad: Where do I begin lol. Engine still dies if I let go of the clutch to fast on the highest gear. All other gears are fine. Clutch is down to a hairline. Throttle cable keeps going in slowing the engine down. Its a replacement that doesn't lock. Break lever stays where ever it is left and the brake pad is all gone. PTO leaks. Engine idle pulley needs replacement. Had to retighten all the headbolt because they were all loose and one fell out. All bearings and pulleys are bad on the mower deck and thanks to Bolens1000 figured out it was a frankenstein deck.

FullSizeR1_14_zpskdbyipbs.jpg

But the good news is even with what is wrong, it still runs strong and I am enjoying it. Also, I just bought a plow today. Just need a sleeve hitch to mount her up!

DSC_0079JPG_zpsayslucew.jpg

DSC_0081JPG_zpsu5po9qs9.jpg

DSC_0084JPG_zpspudkherq.jpg

Thanks for looking

GhoSt

Edited by GhoSt85, March 13, 2017 - 10:50 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 6 others have said thanks

#2 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,044 Thanks
  • 1,558 posts

Posted March 13, 2017 - 10:43 PM

I would love to own that tractor!
  • boyscout862 and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 7,410 Thanks
  • 7,054 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 02:02 AM

Painting in plans? Better color? That deck looks right,or at least Bolens. Have fun with clutch, major teardown to get all the shaft out. I'm new to Bolens too, found them a little different to work on.

Just got home and seeing this on puter now. HMMMM! The color is much different on here. My phone was showing a real bad greenish mint color on it. Here now looks more white, still an odd tint, but much nicer than my phone was showing. Should be good on that then.

Edited by glgrumpy, March 14, 2017 - 07:27 AM.

• boyscout862, stiemmy and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,629 Thanks
  • 17,571 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 07:29 AM

Welcome!

Those white wall tires were optional equipment back then!

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,793 Thanks
  • 8,083 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 07:37 AM

First, nice looking GT and you are attacking the problem intelligently. The stalling sounds like carb and governor problems. The clutch and brake linings can be replaced. Pay close attention to the steering gears as they are the weak point on TF Bolens.

I don't like to play with old carbs. I just rebuild them. There is usually a bunch of junk in them(shelac or corrossion) and passages blocked. Test the float too. Then check the governor. This should eliminate the stalling in high gear. I recommend that you then replace the clutch and brake linings. The brake is very important because it prevents grinding the gears when changing gears.

Tell your wife that she made a good decision letting you get this. Its a great hobby, it usefull, and not very expensive. Share the hobby, get your wife a tractor too. I tell people that I collect GTs because I can't afford Corvettes. If you ever get a chance to drive an old Bolens Large Frame, you will want it.  Good Luck, Rick

• blackjackjakexxix, stiemmy, Paulgo and 1 other said thanks

#6 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 5,753 Thanks
  • 1,900 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 07:45 AM

Welcome to the forum - the Bolens Bug is hard to shake once you are infected.

If you have the means (or a friend) there are plans in post #2 of this thread link that you could make a sleeve hitch from - http://www.mytractor...eeve-hitch.html .

#7 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,621 Thanks
  • 1,911 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 07:50 AM

Welcome aboard,I always liked those white wall tires,as stated get the brake linings as soon as you can

#8 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,044 Thanks
  • 1,558 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 08:10 PM

I think your rig looks great!!! It definitely has a unique look that I personally have never seen, and I think the paint combo looks great!!

Whatever you decide will wear well, good luck with her;) Cheers

Edited by stiemmy, March 14, 2017 - 08:10 PM.

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#9 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 71 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 09:03 AM

I would love to own that tractor!

It looks a lot nicer in picture but thanks!

Painting in plans? Better color? That deck looks right,or at least Bolens. Have fun with clutch, major teardown to get all the shaft out. I'm new to Bolens too, found them a little different to work on.

Just got home and seeing this on puter now. HMMMM! The color is much different on here. My phone was showing a real bad greenish mint color on it. Here now looks more white, still an odd tint, but much nicer than my phone was showing. Should be good on that then.

I think your rig looks great!!! It definitely has a unique look that I personally have never seen, and I think the paint combo looks great!!

Whatever you decide will wear well, good luck with her;) Cheers

Yea, its a weird color. Not bad looking. It is very light blue with a hint of green. Would probably leave it on there if it were not for the fact that  they painted over the original stickers and you can kind of see them. Its not for this year because I need to get it mechanically right before I decided to paint it but when I do, I am thinking either original colors, Black frame/White panels or Red frame/White panels.

Welcome!
Those white wall tires were optional equipment back then!

Wait, are you telling me, those tires might be originals!!! I am going to have to check on them. Think they had DOT #s back then? If they are, they are going on my wall and putting center covers with some bolens art on them.

I will also be getting some parts from you this week. Specifically the clutch and locking throttle cable. It is a pain constantly holding mine trying to keep it from going back in and some minor pieces as well. Do you also carry the carb rebuild kit? I don't believe I saw it when I browsed through your website.

Thanks again for your help.

First, nice looking GT and you are attacking the problem intelligently. The stalling sounds like carb and governor problems. The clutch and brake linings can be replaced. Pay close attention to the steering gears as they are the weak point on TF Bolens.

I don't like to play with old carbs. I just rebuild them. There is usually a bunch of junk in them(shelac or corrossion) and passages blocked. Test the float too. Then check the governor. This should eliminate the stalling in high gear. I recommend that you then replace the clutch and brake linings. The brake is very important because it prevents grinding the gears when changing gears.

Tell your wife that she made a good decision letting you get this. Its a great hobby, it usefull, and not very expensive. Share the hobby, get your wife a tractor too. I tell people that I collect GTs because I can't afford Corvettes. If you ever get a chance to drive an old Bolens Large Frame, you will want it.  Good Luck, Rick

I was told it could be the carb from several people on the other forum but I have been shying way from working on it. They don't seem to complex but I have not had much success with them. The machines tend to end up worse after I am done with them. One thing I have noticed, when I move the throttle cable, the butterfly mechanism that its attached to seems to lag behind for a bit. The movement is not immediate, is this normal?

Welcome to the forum - the Bolens Bug is hard to shake once you are infected.

If you have the means (or a friend) there are plans in post #2 of this thread link that you could make a sleeve hitch from - http://www.mytractor...eeve-hitch.html .

Thank you for the link! Currently working on it :D

rsz_dsc_0092_zpsuivylnzz.jpg

Welcome aboard,I always liked those white wall tires,as stated get the brake linings as soon as you can

Thank you! Will do! Haven't driven it much just in case. Don't want to replace more then I have too.

Thanks for looking and help to you all!

GhoSt

• Bolens 1000, Alc and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#10 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 981 Thanks
  • 932 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 11:13 AM

In all the years I have never seen those old white wall tires I love them. You will enjoy that tractor. 

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,793 Thanks
  • 8,083 posts

Posted March 15, 2017 - 04:42 PM

It is not hard to rebuild a carb if you get the right kit and instructions. You can download the Wisconsin Manual from our Manuals Section. Our sponsors can provide the correct kit. You have to be patient, work slowly, and be carefull. Since you are nervous about it(which probably means that you care to do it right) try a practice carb. Pick up a freebie small engine(probably in an old mower) and try rebuilding it. Don't waste money on new parts for it, just learn how to disassemble, clean, inspect, and reassemble. When you have problems post your questions with clear pics and we will help. A big part of this hobby is learning. Good Luck, Rick

• Newpaws493, 29 Chev and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#12 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 71 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted March 17, 2017 - 10:22 PM

In all the years I have never seen those old white wall tires I love them. You will enjoy that tractor. 

Yea, now that I've been paying attention to them, they are pretty cool. Its been a great joy seeing its progress and using it. :D

It is not hard to rebuild a carb if you get the right kit and instructions. You can download the Wisconsin Manual from our Manuals Section. Our sponsors can provide the correct kit. You have to be patient, work slowly, and be carefull. Since you are nervous about it(which probably means that you care to do it right) try a practice carb. Pick up a freebie small engine(probably in an old mower) and try rebuilding it. Don't waste money on new parts for it, just learn how to disassemble, clean, inspect, and reassemble. When you have problems post your questions with clear pics and we will help. A big part of this hobby is learning. Good Luck, Rick

Great idea! I do have one I can use that actually needs cleaning and I can test it. I will practice on it and let you guys know if its not working out. I always thought that I was messing up with the floater and needle it attaches to but now that I think about it, after practicing on adjusting the jets on the Bolens, that is one thing I never touched when messing with carbs. I have a tendency to skim over the instructions. Bad habit, I know. Hell I always thought that the bottom bolt was just to keep the float cup from falling off and getting a good seal. :wallbanging:

Thanks for your comments and help guys, I appreciate it much!

GhoSt

#13 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • 71 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted March 17, 2017 - 10:57 PM

Also have a small update. Since I kind of jumped the gun, figured I'd finish it before I'm off to another repair. Almost done with the hitch sleeve. All that is left is the aesthetics. I did make some mistakes which I will correct if it does present a problem. First, the two middle bolts, I had weldable nuts in 3/8" but after all was said and done, they look really small. And the center sleeve, I did not have 1"OD X 5/8" ID and I could not source it locally so I went with I believe is a 1/2" sch 40 piece of pipe. If it breaks. Ill use that size pipe and weld into to a 3/4" sch 40 pipe. (Hope I am getting my sizes right). And cut the two pins shorter.

DSC_0104JPG_zpspwte30qu.jpg

DSC_0108JPG_zpsbwhwjg7g.jpg

DSC_0110JPG_zpsekstgpsz.jpg

DSC_0111JPG_zpsofriavnq.jpg

DSC_0114JPG_zpsctoljwo6.jpg

DSC_0115JPG_zpskknxizyx.jpg

DSC_0117JPG_zpsp5a54kh3.jpg

DSC_0119JPG_zpshczp6wup.jpg

DSC_0125JPG_zpshbo2qfxg.jpg

Also, I could not find much on this plow. From my research, it is a Sears plow made by David Bradley, Part # 917-57552 and it is from a walk behind tractor.

I am presented by a problem that I am not sure what to do yet. If you see the above picture, I have no way to keep it still or adjust it from side to side. It has two tabs that I assume were for a 3rd point. Now where the plow connects to the hitch, it has enough surface ares that might work if I make one of these with enough travel.

d4fc81a6-f6fa-42e7-ab79-a84e255e187e_zps

Or I was thinking of using those two free points and that arm for the lift lever to make some brackets with an adjustable link to adjust side to side angle

17862fae-9bc0-4197-b7fb-8355005ed63a_zps

So that's the dilemma I am presented with currently.

Thanks for looking

GhoSt

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 32,212 Thanks
  • 42,021 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 04:31 AM

I use 1/2" iron pipe for the pin, but I run a 41/64" (just over 5/8") through it, You do not want to 'pin' that plow so it can't swing. Let it have a little movement (swing). It will center up when it goes in the ground.

• boyscout862, Newpaws493 and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,996 Thanks
  • 6,921 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 05:38 AM

You have a nice tractor and the hitch came out good too . You might want to start a thread in the Tilling and Plowing forum for setting the plow correctly . That plow on a walkbehind will swing side to side out of the ground but if set up correctly will plow straight behind . My garden is on a slight slope so I made stops so when I got to the end and turned the plow it wouldn't swing so far . Others with sleeve hitches might have some good ideas for you.
  • boyscout862, Newpaws493 and GhoSt85 have said thanks