Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Should I buy?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 10:26 AM

I used to write most of my own applications, did what I wanted that way, and never had to put up with someone's sloppily-written coding.  Now, not so much, can't sit and type that long, carpal tunnel, AND, the eyes, well, just don't see so good... :wallbanging:
So not knocking any of the photo applications available on the 'net, but, for me, the way I use my software, and the expectations I have of it, the only photo program I ever recommended was:

IrfanView - home page

does just about ANYTHING, including washing the sink out!!!  :rocker2:

Seriously, has always been a very well-written, and, WELL-MANNERED, FREE program.  It doesn't down-load and install a bunch of crap-ware with itself, nor try to take over and do anything but what you ask of it, and no steep-learning-curve to be able to use it... :D

Also, make sure you down-load the plug-ins and install them.

openoffice is a very good program, if you don't have MS Office, it can manipulate MS' office document extensions also.

Depending upon what programs/applications you may already have, an option available in Win-7 was Windows Virtual PC of Win-XP, was a free down-load from MS.  I don't know if that is an option available in Win-10 or not, never looked.  You might also consider a dual-boot set-up.

The only windows program I still use.  PCLOS has it set in the repos's to install it like a Linux app but also installs wine.  It also runs like a native Linux app, I can right click on an image and choose "Open with" Irfanview.  Like Daniel I've also been using it for many, many years.

• earthgrinder and ducky have said thanks

#17 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 478 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 05:53 PM

I too used Irfanview for years.  I now use XnViewMP and seem to like it better.

#18 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 478 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 06:06 PM

The only windows program I still use.  PCLOS has it set in the repos's to install it like a Linux app but also installs wine.  It also runs like a native Linux app, I can right click on an image and choose "Open with" Irfanview.  Like Daniel I've also been using it for many, many years.

How does PCLOS differ from Mint or Ubuntu 16.04?  I have fooled around with both,  but I keep coming back to Windows because I cannot find a Linux program to equal Adobe Acrobate and some other Windows base software that I really got to like.

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 07:02 AM

How does PCLOS differ from Mint or Ubuntu 16.04?  I have fooled around with both,  but I keep coming back to Windows because I cannot find a Linux program to equal Adobe Acrobate and some other Windows base software that I really got to like.

PCLOS is an independent Linux distro (meaning it does not depend on any upstream distro, as Mint does) that got it's roots back when Mandrake was a player in the Linux ecosystem.  When Mandrake started having problems Texstar took a fork and made it into an independent distro.  It uses the RPM package system with Debian package managers.  

PCLOS is a rolling release which mean's you don't normally have to do a reinstall to upgrade your system with a new version.  Although with the KDE 5 upgrade we had to do a reinstall.  The community is as helpful and friendly as folks are here.  

If you have only messed with Ubuntu and Mint then you have basically only messed with one distro, since Mint gets it's roots from Ubuntu.  You might want to give some of the other distro's a try.  You can go to Distro Watch and get an idea of all the distro's out there.  Also you can read reviews of some of the distro's in the archives.

IMHO there are far better PDF readers then Adobe.  I have Master PDF editor 4 and Okluar installed on my system. I checked our repository and we have about 7 different PDF views plus 1 editor.   I have one windows computer and it is a dual boot that I use to upgrade my firmware for my Bluetooth devices, but that my be replaced by a Macbook soon.  With the exception of Quickbooks I have not found a window program that I could not replace with an equal or better open source version.  Hope this helps.

• earthgrinder said thank you

#20 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 478 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 05:22 PM

I have also used AntiX and MX.
A PDF reader is not my concern, it is Acrobat that I use heavily to actually make PDF documents.
I have not found an easy to use scanning program that is as simple and easy to use as the Epson software for my particular scanner.
Many have said Gimp mimics PhotoShop. Maybe I am dense, but I got frustrated trying to use it after my limited PhotoShop.
I run Linux from a USB stick. I will try PCLOS on one.
I would like nothing better than give MS the boot! I detest that they continue to try and force apps you did not ask for and gather huge amounts of info on their users. I have several apps installed to limit that..
One thing for sure, no matter which distro I have tried the members of the associated forums have been absolutely a great help when I had problems!

Edited by earthgrinder, March 22, 2017 - 05:32 PM.