The weather guessers have been hyping a big storm for Tuesday and into Wednesday. It is supposed to be falling heavy by tomorrow morning and winds to 60mph. The totals vary from 10" to 22" in CT but MA may get hit worse in some areas.
The Scout motto is "Be Prepared" so I brought an extra trailer of wood up to the house and will cut it up and bring it in today. Yesterday, went to check on my MTD 860 but the battery was dead and the tractor blocking it has flats. I decided that the easiest set up would be to put the snowblower on the Case 222. It went on much easier than I had thought it would be. I've used the Case for pulling carts but had not used the mowing deck, blower, or deck for it. I put the Case in the heated garage and found the new belt for the blower and put it on. Tomorrow while the storm rages, I'll service the Case. It isn't due but oil and grease are cheap compared to failure. I will set the shoes to leave an inch and a half of snow so that I won't dig into the gravel driveway. I'm thinking of them putting the plow on for final cleanup. I'll bring the plow in today.
The Case will be my backup snow remover. I've never used a tractor mounted snowblower before but, it gives me an option if the main machine has trouble. My primary machine is my Ford 2000 with an FEL. In the 30 years I've owned it, it has only given me trouble twice in bad storms. Once was the regulator went bad(a common occurance with these LUCAS regulators) and the second was my fault when I put summer diesel in(it was January). The diesel plugged the filter at the bottom of the fuel tank. I blew back through the line to get it flowing so that I could drive it home and into a heated garage where I added conditioner. Diesel tastes terrible.
I plan to wait until Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning to start clearing. I don't want to go out when the wind is really whipping. If I get the 10" to 14" predicted for my town, it will take about 4 hours plus a break in the middle for me to thaw out for awhile. I have a cab for the 2000 but haven't gotten around to mounting it.
As an added safety net, I will dig out two back up generators, just in case. Good Luck, Rick
Edited by boyscout862, March 13, 2017 - 10:38 AM.