drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,155 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 04:01 PM

Worked on my original today.Figured out why my steering was not working,one of the front tires was seized upand some one previously,must have done a hercules to the steering and broke the cam follower it is just danglingcould not get the steering wheel off so letting it soak overnight and will put some heat to it tommorow,and try to get the front tire turning.As for the seat it has no welds but it is cracked part way around where it is bolted,do not know if i will weld it or try something else,worked in the fiberglass industry for a while might try to get some glass to bond to it and the bottom of tower that is rusted away,it is worth a try if it does'nt work i can sand it off,also in all the numbers i had going thru my head yesterdaythe actual number that is stamped is 2359 a little bit earlier than my earlier mistake

#17 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 04:28 PM

On the steering wheel, the best way to get them off without damage is as follows. Get yourself a fine threaded nut and bolt. I think it's 3/4 off the top of my head. Take the acorn nut off the steering column and thread the other nut on halfway. Now thread the bolt into the other half of the nut and lock them together with the steering column. Sit on the seat of the tractor and with your feet on the floorboards brace your knees up under the steering wheel putting pressure on the wheel from the underside. Now get yourself a BFH(really big hammer) and give the end of the bolt a few good wallops. Should pop the steering wheel right off of the shaft without damaging the threads on the column or the wheel. I've used this trick on many wheels and it works every time.

With the seat I would take a small drill bit and drill on each end of the crack to stop it from cracking further and then weld it up. If not it will more than likely keep right on going until the crack is much worse.

As for the serial number, 2359 will still be a February of 61 tractor.
  • drbish said thank you

#18 drbish OFFLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,155 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 05:55 PM

Update on my project,the plate for the cam follower is stripped out,took steering assembly off and it was just hanging,someone tried to get the locked up steering to turn,upon further inspection and the handy manuals,on this site i found out the grease zerts had been broke off.I would guess that they had not been greased in a while,not is all lost though,my gt buddy that got me hooked told me that any sandblasting,machining he can do at work,he has restored several wheelhorses,a speedex ,and the old mustang,that i postedat anearlier tractor show,one of his horses is in the background.Would like to thank everyone for all the help just getting me this far.Looking forward to postng progress in the near future

#19 drbish OFFLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,155 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 04:19 PM

She fired up,i have finally got the steering working and reassembled.Checked all the wiring to make sure it was wired right,all the neccesary stuff to see if she will fire,the starter turned her over and shefired up but would not say running.Had to come in and cool off and do a little research.By the wayi have had everything off off the tractor and put it back on except the motor and clucth assembly,lots off pb blaster