• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• Member No: 6127
  • 117 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 07:02 AM

Hello. Thisis not really a tractor question but maybe someone could point me in the right direction. I am looking for a set of plates for a Little Wonder corn grist mill. Mine are worn out and will not gind much any more. I will get some pictures later. just wondering if anyone has these or knows where to find them. thanks for any info.   

• Zekkjacen said thank you

#2 Zekkjacen ONLINE  

Zekkjacen
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 38932
  • 145 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 12:43 PM

Hello. Thisis not really a tractor question but maybe someone could point me in the right direction. I am looking for a set of plates for a Little Wonder corn grist mill. Mine are worn out and will not gind much any more. I will get some pictures later. just wondering if anyone has these or knows where to find them. thanks for any info.   

Sorry,  not sure.  Are you any good with a welder?  It's cast I'm sure, but it can be welded?  It might take some time, but you could build the plate back up.

P.S.  Nice Bolens!

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 09:34 PM

If they're shaped like I think, welding might warp them rendering them pretty much useless. I'm waiting for the pics.

Mike

#4 Zekkjacen ONLINE  

Zekkjacen
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 38932
  • 145 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted March 13, 2017 - 07:43 AM

If they're shaped like I think, welding might warp them rendering them pretty much useless. I'm waiting for the pics.
                                                       Mike

you would have to weld fast and only little bits at a time. Keeping it heated.

#5 Kenny C OFFLINE  

Kenny C
  • Member No: 86001
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 08:59 PM

If you use a mig gun, you can pulse the wire and move from place to place.This will only heat spots and if you allow the plate to cool then hit it again, you can get lucky and build it up. That is of course if you have a welder that mig welds. Pulsing is a term that describes pulling the trigger and then depositing weld in the form of a round button like appearance then let go of the trigger and go to another spot/place. I did it welding a new cross bar in place of a real rusty cross bar on a 917.57560. It will not burn through because the weld does not have time to melt the surrounding metal, only the spot you want to fuse. In your case, it will keep it from warping. You must allow it to cool then as I said, and, hit it again. Done in a row, it looks rather nice. Practice on scrap. The metal must be sanded or wire brushed clean. No paint, or rust.

• Zekkjacen said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mills, little wonder, corn, plates