#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,450 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted March 11, 2017 - 10:44 PM

Numbers on my junk Sun Star are 1691528   and after  001178.   No labeling, but assume first is model and second serial. Is there place to go for figuring year and other items?   Is that considered a low serial? 

The deck is similar with   1690986 and 003325.  It also has a belt route chart for 42, 48 and 60" decks, with a number beside them looking like a model, yet does not match anything on the serial plate.  I think I have a 48" if you measure deck width. 42, seemed kinda small, even with idea there could be space under the deck not covered by blades.

I'll try Simple Tractors, but have heck of time getting around on it, never liked the site.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,450 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted March 11, 2017 - 11:57 PM

Well, signed in to Simple Tractors and wandered around aimlessly for awhile trying to find forums. I found some with number info, but don't seem to find mine, or name Sun Star in those. They go up to early 80's, which might be close, yet the numbers don't go up as high as mine, on deck same thing. I posted on a forum, think Talking Tractors to introduce myself and ask the questions.  I don't know if I will get email notices or just what?  The 169 part of these numbers seems to jibe with some, the rest is diff.  They are using models with four digits like 7100 or similar. I don't have such on my decals that I can see and not on plate. Darn things might be like Bolen's with model numbes completely diff than what the decals are saying???  I hate that!  I'm Frustrated right now, maybe time to go to bed, heh!

#3 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 538 Thanks
  • 489 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 03:51 AM

No doubt you saw this

http://www.partstree...n-tractor-18hp/

Garry

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,450 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 09:31 AM

GWest, now That's got the numbers and diagrams at least.  Thanks, saved that link.

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 12:19 PM

Hi glgrumpy, I'll try posting a link to Simplicity they can tell you the year of mfg or at least got me close on the 7790 diesel I have

Well I think that should get you to their tec support can't make it work like it should

yppgtechnicalsupport@basco.com

Edited by MNGB, March 12, 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,450 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 03:46 PM

Well, today printed manuals off here. Same were on Simplicity Co. site, but weren't as good and clear as here. Looking at mans some find differences in wiring and dashs.  They say 18hp was Briggs and 20 hp was Kohler.  On Mine is fuel gauge and volt-meter, no light switch (think is in key switch).  The diagram for 18 does NOT show those items and has wires but are noted NOT USED.  But, the 20 diagram shows those parts in it wired, AND also a switch for lights, which mine does not have. Confusing.  The manuals have date of 95 on them, and last of model number is little diff, so maybe this one is Not the right one??  Rest seems the same so far on what I have seen of mine, which isn't much yet. 

#7 inst7877 OFFLINE  

inst7877
  • Member No: 87968
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 12, 2017 - 10:16 PM

I have a sun star model 1691017 which was the first year of them.  It has a Kohler M18 in it for the engine.  They were converted over to the Briggs in mid year 1989 from what I have been able to find.  Mine also has the fuel gauge and volt meter on the dash the key switch is a three position switch. Run / lights, Run and Start.  Mine has some electrical issues and I need to get into it and track wires to get it figured out. 

Good luck with yours

DC