• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny C OFFLINE  

Kenny C
  • Member No: 86001
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 11, 2017 - 08:03 PM

I have a few David Bradley Walk Behinds and want to make the sickle bar engagement rod. I have an extra clutch rod. I have seen one photo of a rod that came in two sections. I gauged the dimensions but I want it correct. It looks like a 5/8ths inch diameter  coupler about 2 and 1/2 inches long. The end is threaded 5/16th  x 18. I talked to a guy up north and his has one continuous rod. I can make that also. Can anyone give me the measurements of the two piece. By the way, I am new to this site and love it!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Special DB Tractor photo 1A.jpg

Edited by Kenny C, March 13, 2017 - 05:53 PM.

• boyscout862 and Zekkjacen have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,132 Thanks
  • 8,859 posts

Posted March 11, 2017 - 09:06 PM

Welcome to GTT. You may find the info that you need in our manuals section. I have found that making rods adjustable makes getting the fit easier. Someone with the answer should be along soon. Good Luck, Rick

• Kenny C said thank you

#3 Kenny C OFFLINE  

Kenny C
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 11, 2017 - 09:10 PM

Hey Boyscout 862;

To bad its not 562, that was the last troop I was registered with!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,599 Thanks
  • 7,324 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 10:48 AM

Welcome to GTTalk I'll go into the garage I believe I have one to measure for you
  • Kenny C said thank you

#5 Zekkjacen OFFLINE  

Zekkjacen
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 38932
  • 145 Thanks
  • 190 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 02:40 PM

Hey,  While you're at it, can someone help me out with a clutch rod setup for the sickle mower?  Need dimentions etc.

Thanks

• Kenny C said thank you

#6 Kenny C OFFLINE  

Kenny C
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 03:09 PM

Thats what I need for the DB walk behinds. Tractorholic is working on that. I need the distance from the top cross bar with the handle down to the coupling. The length and diameter of the coupling and then the distance from the lower end of the coupling to the end of the rod. Not much hah!!???LOL 

#7 Zekkjacen OFFLINE  

Zekkjacen
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 38932
  • 145 Thanks
  • 190 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 03:43 PM

Thats what I need for the DB walk behinds. Tractorholic is working on that. I need the distance from the top cross bar with the handle down to the coupling. The length and diameter of the coupling and then the distance from the lower end of the coupling to the end of the rod. Not much hah!!???LOL 

Oh right, you said that.

I had speed changer on the brain.

I've been adding manuals on here if you need any.  I have a lot more to go, but 16 uploaded so far for the DB.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Kenny C have said thanks

#8 Kenny C OFFLINE  

Kenny C
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 03:50 PM

I have a couple, the ones I have, the rod is pictured but not dimensioned. If I don't come up with the measurements, I may have to play it by ear and scale the photo very closely and try my luck. I'll take luck almost any day.  Thanks so much for helping. I will although, make a one piece rod for the 46. That may have been the way that one came. I will do further research and make sure. It is so funny that they are so rare. Or maybe I need to get out more!

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,599 Thanks
  • 7,324 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 03:56 PM

DSCN2329.JPG DSCN2328.JPG DSCN2327.JPG DSCN2326.JPG DSCN2325.JPG

Straight rod coupled , I didn't get the the the sizes but I can get them if you can't read the tape Looks like 64 1/2" overall

• KennyP, Zekkjacen and Kenny C have said thanks

#10 Kenny C OFFLINE  

Kenny C
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 05:31 PM

Man;

I think I can work with that. I can make out the tape. This is the first real one I have ever seen.Thanks so much. 

• Alc and Zekkjacen have said thanks

#11 Kenny C OFFLINE  

Kenny C
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 09:01 PM

Tractorholic;

I did some dimensioning and this is what I came up with. As you said, I started with 64 and 1/2 inches, looks like coupling is 2 and 1/2 inches, from the very end of the rod that goes in the handle, to the center of the coupling, 32 and 1/4 inches. The other end is the same at 32 and 1/4 inches from the center of the coupling to the very end. Threads are 5/16 x 18 NC and are 3 inches long. I can guess the coupling is 5/8ths inch diameter. The spacing of the roll pins that hold the piece together are 13/16ths from each end approximately or divide the coupling in thirds and that's the hole location. If any one has  different sizing, please let me know. I am not the brightest light on ant tree!

• Zekkjacen said thank you

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,599 Thanks
  • 7,324 posts

Posted March 13, 2017 - 05:18 AM

I'll get the couplers sizes after work today ,  I wonder if the reason the rods in two pieces was for shipping the sickle bar as small as possible ?

• Zekkjacen and Kenny C have said thanks

#13 Kenny C OFFLINE  

Kenny C
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 13, 2017 - 03:12 PM

Yeah, that's what I think. I believe the fellow up north may have gotten one with a solid rod that someone made. I would have done that also to make it useful.  I want to say,thanks for all your trouble.

Kenny. 

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,599 Thanks
  • 7,324 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 05:45 AM

I never made it home last night , had a truck break down and worked late and with the snow storm coming I just stayed at my inlaws that live a few blocks from work here last night

• KennyP, Zekkjacen and Kenny C have said thanks

#15 Kenny C OFFLINE  

Kenny C
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 05:24 PM

Hey man, no worries. It's not like I am on my death bed and this is my dieing wish. When you get it, you get it. Thanks so much.