6 replies to this topic

#1 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 12:18 PM

I decided to post this in a separate thread from my brake question to avoid confusion. I seem to remember reading somewhere on the internet about a tune up kit for CC tractors. It included a spark plug, head gasket, maybe an air cleaner. I think it was referred to as a "restore the power", kit. Does something like this exist and is it less expensive than buying the parts per each? I noticed that the Kohler manual recommended cylinder head service every year. I have never had the head off this 106 in 15 years. Should I pull it now??
Larry

#2 chjr69 OFFLINE  

chjr69

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3330
  • 5 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 01:17 PM

I don't know about the kit being cheaper but they did and I believe the still make them. As for the head gasket I pulled the head off a few times but I was already doing something to the motor, if it was not burning oil the head and piston were clean.
Good luck

#3 jhn9840 OFFLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 127 Thanks
  • 186 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 02:01 PM

Personally I wouldn't pull the head unless there was some type of problem to justify doing so.

jhn9840
John

#4 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 02:11 PM

I pernsonally would pull the head if it hasnt been off in many years. Its good to clean out the combustion chamber for added power and better fuel "yardige"

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 04:14 PM

They also sell an ignition tune up kit for Kohler engines which has the spark plug, condenser, points and the push rod for the points. I think it is around $30 or so. It is a good idea to clean the carbon out of the head if it hasn't been done in a very long time as already suggested. As for the whole tune up kit I am not sure.

#6 loggerhenry OFFLINE  

loggerhenry

• Member No: 4232
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 05:09 PM

i pulled the heads off of my 582. a mechanic that used to work on them told me to take them off every 150-200hrs to brush the carbon buildup in the dome and around the valves.

#7 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 11:35 AM

i pulled the heads off of my 582. a mechanic that used to work on them told me to take them off every 150-200hrs to brush the carbon buildup in the dome and around the valves.

Yeah, I guess I better plan on doing that soon. The trouble is I will want to repaint and do a lot of other work if I tear it down now and I don't like mowing with the push mower. Hmmm, that would be a good excuse to buy another CC.:smile1:
Larry