8 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,020 Thanks
  • 8,796 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 01:14 PM

It has been unusally warm here for a week. Last night the temp dropped and we have about 3 inches of snow. Tonight and for the next week we are supposed to have unsusally cold weather. I will clear my deck and walks but I don't think that I should plow the driveway.

My driveway is gravel and right now it is soft. I plow with my Ford 2000. It has an FEL and works good when the driveway is frozen. When it is soft, I end up gouging the driveway and putting gravel off the side of the drive. It later takes a bunch of shovelling time and a couple of hours with my Earthcavator on my Simp 3310 to restore the drive..

I'm thinking of waiting a few days for the gravel to freeze before plowing. It may be more than a few days because the snow insulates the gravel from the cold weather. This gives an advantage that the frost will come out sooner when the warm weather returns.

Or, I could just plow it now and do the restoration later. They are forecasting a big storm on Tuesday but they aren't sure if it will be snow or a warmup with rain.

For now, I'm leaning towards waiting until Monday to plow if the forecast decides snow on Tuesday. I don't really need to go anywhere until Monday. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 01:46 PM

Well, time pullin an earthcavator is never a bad thing.. i say go for it!

• propane1 said thank you

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,371 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 01:48 PM

Taylor 015.jpg

I have to plow mine as there is a hill to get out which turns to ice if I dont. Otherwise I wouldnt bother for a bit of snow that would pack down....If you have to plow, back drag it, less damage. 

• KennyP, boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,128 Thanks
  • 3,932 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 02:55 PM

I would not plow, but the earthcavator sounds like fun. I have soft driveway now too and it's very difficult to keep the JD 140 H3 thrower from digging down into the soft stuff. Lost about two shovel fulls of driveway into the woods last week from the thrower digging down. That's one thing I don't like about the JD 49 snow thrower.

Noel.
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 03:11 PM

We had gotten 6" or so out of this storm and I was considering not plowing but the temps are suppose to stay down and I despise ice so I plowed with the quad since the plow is light and if I am careful I can and did plow without excavating, even though I left a thin layer of snow the afternoon sun melted it all off and now there will be no ice.  I would not have taken the compact with 6' plow out, I think the plow weighs more than the whole quad setup.  The WH and the blower sit in the shed also, wouldn't have taken that out either, just make a mess or damage the blower, and I didn't feel like swapping out for the plow. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,002 Thanks
  • 6,171 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 03:48 PM

You can drive through 3" with no problem.  I don't think about move any except off the sidewalk for 3" or less.  It will melt and give you a lot less work and save the mower blades, windows, bldg's, etc. from flying rock come mowing time.

• Gtractor, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#7 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,498 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 03:59 PM

It has been unusally warm here for a week. Last night the temp dropped and we have about 3 inches of snow. Tonight and for the next week we are supposed to have unsusally cold weather. I will clear my deck and walks but I don't think that I should plow the driveway.

My driveway is gravel and right now it is soft. I plow with my Ford 2000. It has an FEL and works good when the driveway is frozen. When it is soft, I end up gouging the driveway and putting gravel off the side of the drive. It later takes a bunch of shovelling time and a couple of hours with my Earthcavator on my Simp 3310 to restore the drive..

I'm thinking of waiting a few days for the gravel to freeze before plowing. It may be more than a few days because the snow insulates the gravel from the cold weather. This gives an advantage that the frost will come out sooner when the warm weather returns.

Or, I could just plow it now and do the restoration later. They are forecasting a big storm on Tuesday but they aren't sure if it will be snow or a warmup with rain.

For now, I'm leaning towards waiting until Monday to plow if the forecast decides snow on Tuesday. I don't really need to go anywhere until Monday. Good Luck, Rick

Try this if you want, get a 10' piece of schedule 40 2" PVC conduit cut to length, if you have a table saw or use of one rip a kerf length wise about an 1/8" narrower than your cutting edge on bucket, start it on you may have to pry it open to get it started, then take a soft blow mallet and drive it home , the PVC will spring enough to slip over but snap back and hold tight. Buddy of mine suggested to me when I complained about have to rake all the 2A limestone out of the grass every spring, inexpensive and no more gouging or pushing the gravel it gets the snow and glides right over the gravel.
  • Gtractor, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,926 Thanks
  • 4,984 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 04:08 PM

It could turn to ice when it gets colder. Be a solid rock that breaks every thing.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,020 Thanks
  • 8,796 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 04:40 PM

The sun came out and the snow has now settled to about 1 1/2" so, no plowing. Did a bit of cleanning up and my back said no more. I did a bunch of firewood yesterday so I'm beat. Thanks for the comments. Good Luck, Rick
  • propane1 said thank you