30 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,198 Thanks
  • 8,902 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 10:25 AM

When a carb floods after running awhile whether it be a small engine, a Holley, a Rochester, or any other brand the problem is the float. It is either sinking because of a slow leak or is hanging up on its pivot or valve. Good Luck, Rick

The only way to check the float is to take the carb apart. Remember on those that the needle valve and its long seat need to be removed before you take the top screws out.

Edited by boyscout862, March 10, 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#17 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,810 Thanks
  • 18,058 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 10:51 AM

Those flow jets are very simple to take apart and clean/ repair

Personally I'd put a kit in there , and like others have said check the float.

I believe the Genuine B&S floats have now all superceeded to plastic on the flow jets, they make aftermarket floats in brass but I stopped carrying them as the cheap spot welds on the float brackets were breaking off!

• Alc said thank you

#18 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 2,032 Thanks
  • 1,350 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 11:07 AM

The emulsion tube on the flojets seems the be the biggest problem. They can be hard to get out. The threads are not standard bolt threads, so if they get boogered up when trying to get the tube out, you have to buy the B&S tap. Over threading when chasing the threads will cause the bowl to flood when parked.

I took a chance on the new Chinese repops about 4 months ago. I have not used the machine much, but it does start and run good and doesnt leak when not running.

Even if you are good at rebuilding carbs, the last 3 guys that worked on the thing over the last 45 year may not be as good and you have to try to fix what they jacked up. Sometimes it is easier to start from scratch. 

#19 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,466 Thanks
  • 1,412 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 02:09 PM

I found the perfect flat head  1/4 inch screw driver for removing that  long seat at my local True Value hardware store. Ground just a whisker off each side on the bench grinder so it doesn't bugger the threads ! A little soak in PB Blaster or WD-40 doesn't hurt either !

• Alc and karel have said thanks

#20 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,470 Thanks
  • 1,184 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 02:23 PM

I have had good luck just taking them apart and cleaning. Reassemble with all original parts unless I see obvious damage. If you are thinking about replacement any way what do you have to lose except time. Most carb problems I run into are solved with careful cleaning and adjustment. Don  

#21 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 607 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 02:33 PM

I think i am gonna rip it apart and just try a good cleaning, but heres a question, while i got it apart does the float in this style carb the same as this one...

20170310_142924.jpg
upload facebook pictures

Cause if it is i might install this one just to rule that out as well. It came off another briggs carb.

#22 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 3,358 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 02:48 PM

If it were me I would buy a new cheapie on Ebay they work well .

#23 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 607 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 03:03 PM

If it were me I would buy a new cheapie on Ebay they work well .

If i go that route, i see the air cleaner plate on the replacment carbs are in the wrong spot, mine has another tube that attaches and curves up toward the muffler, do the plates on the new ones come off or do i gotta cut?

#24 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,424 Thanks
  • 1,555 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 03:55 PM

On a whim, I sent for a carb from iSaveTractors for my 12hp K Kohler.....It was $59 US plus shipping.....works great

I also sent for one of the eBay Chinese made cheapies.......$25 shipped......havent tried it yet, but it looks much the same as the iSaveTractors one.....will see when I strap it on something. 

• Alc said thank you

#25 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 03:57 PM

I think i am gonna rip it apart and just try a good cleaning, but heres a question, while i got it apart does the float in this style carb the same as this one...

20170310_142924.jpg
upload facebook pictures

Cause if it is i might install this one just to rule that out as well. It came off another briggs carb.

Depends. is it a two piece also? if its a one piece it wont work. or if it is a different size two piece it wont work

#26 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 607 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 04:21 PM

Well boys (and maybe girls?) Heres where im at...

Yanked the carb, pulled it apart, nothing looked to bad, however, the needle valve is suspect, i closed it with my finger and shot wd 40 in, and it came thru, i have another needle here im gonna use, i also have the float submerged in gas to see if it will float after being under for a while.

Soaking all parts, cleaned the body up, so we'll see. If its a no go ill pry just replace the damn thing.

And no, that float in the picture is different. It was from a one piece style.

Edited by DZG, March 10, 2017 - 04:22 PM.

#27 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 04:39 PM

Well boys (and maybe girls?) Heres where im at...

Yanked the carb, pulled it apart, nothing looked to bad, however, the needle valve is suspect, i closed it with my finger and shot wd 40 in, and it came thru, i have another needle here im gonna use, i also have the float submerged in gas to see if it will float after being under for a while.

Soaking all parts, cleaned the body up, so we'll see. If its a no go ill pry just replace the damn thing.

And no, that float in the picture is different. It was from a one piece style.

The one piece style will not work. they are too small

#28 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,922 Thanks
  • 1,296 posts

Posted March 11, 2017 - 12:43 AM

I have a briggs 10 hp with one of those on it. its never happy. always surging. And i'm always playing with it. Does lowering the float stop the surge?

#29 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,922 Thanks
  • 1,296 posts

Posted March 11, 2017 - 12:46 AM

If it were me I would buy a new cheapie on Ebay they work well .

I picked up an engine with one of those on it. It scared me so I changed it out. Are they really any good?

#30 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 975 Thanks
  • 742 posts

Posted March 11, 2017 - 11:40 AM

I had good luck rebuilding small,med,large flojets, I like them. Only problem is with the large flojets sometimes the top warps. It's the damn tecumseh,Walboro I have problems with.every old briggs horizonal with a flojet dribbled gas when I shut them down.