• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 07:39 AM

My 860 keeps flooding out after it runs a while, its beginning to get aggravating.

Ive rebuilt and been inside many carbs, but theyve all been automotive ones. Skill to do it isnt in question.

However, i have heard that small engine carbs arnt very receptive to rebuilding, that they are never "quite" right afterwards.

So my question is, should i spend 20 bucks on a rebuild kit, or 55-60 for a carb to bolt on and go?

Also, has any experience with rebuilt carbs from various online places are welcome, good or bad.

Its an 11hp briggs horizontal model # 252417.
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#2 637Yeoman ONLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 07:43 AM

I personally have never had an issue with rebuilding carbs, and them 'not running quite right.' So im not too sure what is happening there. I rebuilt my 637's one piece flo-jet and it ran like new, with no problems. This intrigues me. looking forward to seeing what others think. 

Im gonna go out on a limb and say thats a two piece flo-jet, and NAPA sells high quality kits for cheap. 

Edited by 637Yeoman, March 10, 2017 - 07:55 AM.

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,480 Thanks
  • 809 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 07:55 AM

I have had no issues with rebuilding carbs either. I have come across a few that were no longer rebuild able due to deterioration but thats only been a few out of the many.  

#4 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,827 Thanks
  • 1,214 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 08:02 AM

I've rebuilt my fair share. Dam things all have a different personality.

#5 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 08:02 AM

Ive never done a small engine carb, just have heard that on a few other forums.

Like i said ive rebuilt quadrajets, holleys, edelbrocks, and more of them little 2150 motorcraft 2bbls then i care to count, and never had an issue. I wasnt sure why a little engine would be different, which is why i asked lol.

This is the carb...im guessing this is the flo jet youre talking about.

392587.jpg
image upload

#6 637Yeoman ONLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 08:04 AM

Ive never done a small engine carb, just have heard that on a few other forums.

Like i said ive rebuilt quadrajets, holleys, edelbrocks, and more of them little 2150 motorcraft 2bbls then i care to count, and never had an issue. I wasnt sure why a little engine would be different, which is why i asked lol.

This is the carb...im guessing this is the flo jet youre talking about.

image upload

Yesser thats the one. Two piece flo-jets on their own can be temperamental, so that might be changed with a rebuild, or enhanced. 

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,141 Thanks
  • 7,580 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 08:13 AM

I've had issues with changing tune, each time I ran the one I have in Speedex at one time. When it warmed up, had to turn Main jet down or rich, yet when first stared, had to turn up to get it to idle when colder. I took suggestions from here in forums to LOWER the float level a  bit from the stock height shown in the manuals, AND it worked!  I also fixed the drip it had when shut-off. Didn't want to drip while running, but always would if you left the gas tank valve on while parked. I don't have that anymore either. Might try this if having issues. Biggest thing on dis-assembly of this carb is taking the MAIN jet tube out of it BEFORE seperating the halves, top and bottom. Remove main get on bottom, reach in with screwdriver that fits, unscrew the main jet tube.  It will not clear and have to be bent to seperate if you don't do this. It will bend and wreck the tube, needing replacement.

• Alc and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#8 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 08:16 AM

Yesser thats the one. Two piece flo-jets on their own can be temperamental, so that might be changed with a rebuild, or enhanced.

Im starting to get that about them. Ive never had one. I went thru and set everything on its intial setting, then tweaked it from there, it runs good sometimes, other times itll completly flood, or run lean. Im pretty sure the float and/or needle are sticking, maybe ill just rebuild it and see what happens.

Cant be no worse then it is now.

#9 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 08:20 AM

I've had issues with changing tune, each time I ran the one I have in Speedex at one time. When it warmed up, had to turn Main jet down or rich, yet when first stared, had to turn up to get it to idle when colder. I took suggestions from here in forums to LOWER the float level a bit from the stock height shown in the manuals, AND it worked! I also fixed the drip it had when shut-off. Didn't want to drip while running, but always would if you left the gas tank valve on while parked. I don't have that anymore either. Might try this if having issues. Biggest thing on dis-assembly of this carb is taking the MAIN jet tube out of it BEFORE seperating the halves, top and bottom. Remove main get on bottom, reach in with screwdriver that fits, unscrew the main jet tube. It will not clear and have to be bent to seperate if you don't do this. It will bend and wreck the tube, needing replacement.

These are EXACTLY the issues im having. It takes forever when cold to run without choke, so i richened it and it fires up easy when cold, but after it runs 20 minutes it will flood.

I also get the drip if i dont shut the fuel off to it. I even tried shutting the valve half way when it begins to flood, then it exhibits lean symptoms.

At first i thought it was an ignition issue, but it throws plenty of spark

#10 637Yeoman ONLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 08:21 AM

Im starting to get that about them. Ive never had one. I went thru and set everything on its intial setting, then tweaked it from there, it runs good sometimes, other times itll completly flood, or run lean. Im pretty sure the float and/or needle are sticking, maybe ill just rebuild it and see what happens.

Cant be no worse then it is now.

I dont know why they do it. Im assuming just overall design. But it seems like it varies between carbs, The carb on my landlord in my profile, runs great, and stays adjusted. The one on my planet jr does not. at all. 

#11 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 08:25 AM

I dont know why they do it. Im assuming just overall design. But it seems like it varies between carbs, The carb on my landlord in my profile, runs great, and stays adjusted. The one on my planet jr does not. at all.

Honestly...that seems to be true of all carbs lol

#12 637Yeoman ONLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 08:26 AM

Honestly...that seems to be true of all carbs lol

To a certain extent yes.

#13 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 08:29 AM

To a certain extent yes.

I still prefer them to the over complicated mess that is fuel injection though.

#14 637Yeoman ONLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 08:59 AM

I still prefer them to the over complicated mess that is fuel injection though.

When a carb messes up, its a way simpler task then when fuel injection does

• DZG said thank you

#15 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 552 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 10:23 AM

I haven't had much luck cleaning/rebuilding the newer fixed-jet carbs.  I've cleaned/rebuilt bunches of older adjustable carbs and they are great.  I have a flo-jet on an old Briggs that works great, but I do have to adjust it every time the weather changes.  It's the only flo-jet I've fooled with.  It's good to know that it's "normal"!  :D