• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 250 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 08:20 AM

I want to start working on my JD patio among all my other projects and thought I would throw this topic out there. It is a 1969 110 hydraulic lift in red. The front of the hood has a piece cracked (like most 110's) and I definitely need to re-cover the seat. I also have the original belt cover and NOS rear hub caps (still looking for fronts). My plan was to do a restoration and re-paint with some nice two stage paint and codes I found making sure I document all along the way so it is known to be authentic. However, with the collector value of these patios should it be left original? If it was in real nice shape I would no doubt leave it original but I thought to restore it with how bad the paint is. Just seeing what people think would give it the most value... should I do a restoration (factory correct restoration) or just clean it up, get it running, and leave it as it is?

post-57994-0-55723600-1447946556.jpg

• 637Yeoman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,681 Thanks
  • 904 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 08:59 AM

I like to restore (not always original) because it helps to reverse time. As far as value is concerned I don't care if it adds or lowers value I just do it so that I don't have to look at my equipment rusting away.

If selling it I feel that keeping it the way it is is probably the way to go , its hard to get the time and money spent back out of these garden tractors. 

• boyscout862 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#3 Kster526 OFFLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 728 Thanks
  • 474 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 09:06 AM

Tough decision.  I like to clean them up at least but a few friends have said "Their only original once" and I hear them but I think that one I would restore.

I am thinking of buying another right now that will need lots of loveand a full  restoration my hang up is storage space for the herd. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,104 Thanks
  • 2,319 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 09:18 AM

I would say that given the condition of the paint to leave it as is would only take away from its value in the future as the rusty areas will only get worse.  My question is what do you plan to do with it - admire it and look at, get it running and use it ,resell it or ??  Will you be satisfied looking at it year after year in its present state or will it bother you?  I would say to document it as you go and make it look nice so that it will not deteriorate any further.  Very few people ever break even on the parts and time invested in a proper restoration - just my opinion.  

Edited by 29 Chev, March 09, 2017 - 10:15 AM.

• Lmiller3358 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#5 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 250 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I should have clarified that I don't plan to sell it whatever I do; I have always wanted one and they are hard to find so I plan to keep it in my collection. I usually make the call whether or not to restore based on condition so this condition I would typically restore; I was only concerned with messing this one up in case they are considered better original as they are rare and valuable. If I do restore it there will be lots of photos and documentation and probably leave the underside of the hood un-touched. I personally thought it was too rough to leave original but wanted to see what other people thought as I sometimes get blinded by my plans for something.

#6 DZG ONLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 536 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 10:18 AM

Personally, id leave it as is. But this is coming from a guy who loves original patina that can only come from years of service.

That being said, if you redo it, the next buyer will pry be a "collector", which means you might make a few more bucks, but youll also have more into while limiting its appeal.

If you leave it, youll have less into it, appeal to more buyers (restorers, someone who wants to put it to work, as well as a few collectors).

From my personal standpoint, i wouldnt want to pay more for a machine id be afraid of scratching.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT.

After actually reading your last post, lol, it depends on what you want to do with it. If you wanna show it, then restore it, if youre gonna use it, id keep it the way it is.

Dont kid yourself, it doesnt matter HOW careful you are, theres always that proverbial one cart in the parking lot out for justice.

Edited by DZG, March 09, 2017 - 10:20 AM.

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 10:53 AM

I would clean it up good and repaint it.  Stop the rust and make it look a whole lot better and not have a tone of work and $$ in it.  Can always do the restore down the road if you want but I am not into the restoration end.  Get them mechanically sound and looking good an they are ready to do what ever I chose on that day. 

#8 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 02:58 PM

A tractor like that is way more valuable original. Remember, they are only original once..

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,138 Thanks
  • 9,617 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 03:27 PM

My opinion:

A Patio is a collector's item. If I had one, it would be for show. Therefor l would restore it.

Edited by Cat385B, March 09, 2017 - 03:28 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#10 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 761 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 03:27 PM

If it was mine i would repaint the white and try buffing the hood before thinking of repainting.

The rust areas on the white will only get worse if not taken care of

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 03:51 PM

I guess it depends on what your intentions are later down the road, if you are doing it for the pure enjoyment and taking it to shows then a restore would probably be better as this one looks a bit rough as it sits, however you will never get your money back you put into it if you restore it.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,354 Thanks
  • 7,733 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 04:06 PM

I would rather see a nice shiny one, repaint or not, over a rusty JUNKER!   The most expensive item of these is the Seats, getting Thousands if a new one, quite rediculous!  NOW have even learned the Yellow patio is a diff color and diff seat with texture backside and etc. Sheesh!  Buy new yellow and die it, heck with orig.

#13 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,224 Thanks
  • 2,907 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 05:03 PM

If you can find a decent red seat for it I would restore it.But your looking at a major expense rite there.I've seen patio seats in rough but usable condition sell on ebay for $300-500 and a NOS orange seat sold last spring for $1500. 

PPG Paint code for the Red is Patio Red: RS903A - Centari

If you do it up correctly it could sell for Big money at auction.A fully restored Red Patio sold at auction in 2013 for $6700.Which you won't get but you might get close if it's well advertised. That would fund some cool toys wouldn't it?

If I had one it would get fully restored and Sold.Then I would start the search for a Diesel GT or possibly a good used 4x4 diesel with loader.

As is it's worth around $800-$1000?

#14 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,978 Thanks
  • 3,289 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 06:52 PM

I think that tractor should be restored.

#15 BigFlash ONLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 241 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 08:24 PM

I think that one is due to restoration if you're planning on keeping it in your collection. If your planning on selling it. I wouldn't put alot of time into it.

Im all for original tractors when they're in excellent condition. But to me a patio tractor had aesthetics in mind from factory.