• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted May 09, 2017 - 08:34 PM

This may seem like a strange victory but I thought that I would share. I wanted strait head screws in order to keep this project period correct.

Well, evidently the new industry standard for strait head screws is the dual head screw (strait / Phillips). After checking multiple stores I found a couple old stock strait heads at a local hardware store. After finding these I started digging, well dumping their bins out & looking for old stock at the bottom. After some strange looks from employees and a half hour of searching, I found the hardware I wanted. Ready for paint.

body 70.jpg

A little dilemma I was having was what to do with the cast grill. It was the roughest piece of cast that I had seen in a while. The perfectionist in me wanted to make it baby's butt smooth. The purest in me wanted to let the roughness shine through, as I'm sure the factory did not spend much time smoothing it out.

After a heated debate between these two a compromise was finally reached. 3 coats of urethane primer and wet sand with 400grit before painting. This smoothed out the 36 grit looking cast but left enough character behind to show that it was made of cast iron.

body75.jpg

I added some 85w-140 to the transmission. Not having knowledge of the factory correct level, I filled it until it was high enough so that every thing has a chance to dip in the oil.

final 0.jpg

With a good running engine, the differential linkage figured out, and a tranny full of oil I decided to go for a test ride. No sheet metal, but it sure felt great to finally go for a ride. :D

final 5.jpg

It's not real fast but, it is faster than a vehicle with no brakes should be.

Edited by Achto, May 09, 2017 - 08:36 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#32 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 08:16 PM

Well my restoration adventure has finally come to a end. I'd like to thank all who followed along and commented on this project. Here are some final pics of the restore.

DSCN1528-min.JPG DSCN1529-min.JPG DSCN1531-min.JPG DSCN1532-min.JPG DSCN1533-min.JPG

I'm not great at video's but I gave it a try.

Edited by Achto, May 15, 2017 - 07:25 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, Cat385B and 5 others have said thanks

#33 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 12:52 PM

Well my restoration adventure has finally come to a end. I'd like to thank all who followed along and commented on this project. Here are some final pics of the restore.

attachicon.gifDSCN1528-min.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN1529-min.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN1531-min.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN1532-min.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN1533-min.JPG

I'm not great at video's but I gave it a try.

Good job! That little bugger looks fast

• Leonard VanCamp, Mark 149 J. and Achto have said thanks

#34 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,083 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 02:36 PM

Fine job, thanks for having us along :rocker2:

• Achto said thank you

#35 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 02:54 PM

Good job! That little bugger looks fast

Too fast for not having brakes. I may down size the engine sprocket some more. I'm also thinking of putting a back blade on it, if for no other reason to use as a brake if I need to stop fast.

• KennyP and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#36 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 02:55 PM

Too fast for not having brakes. I may down size the engine sprocket some more. I'm also thinking of putting a back blade on it, if for no other reason to use as a brake if I need to stop fast.

No brakes?? Thats crazy!

• Achto said thank you

#37 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 03:30 PM

No brakes?? Thats crazy!

I agree!! A ride on with no brakes just don't make sense. In the research that I've done ( & there was a lot of it) I have found no previsions for brakes on these tractors. It does slow down pretty fast when you push the clutch in. Trust me there will be no driving this one on or off of the trailer when I take it to shows.

• KennyP and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#38 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,094 Thanks
  • 715 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 05:37 PM

You are tractor restorer extraordinaire,was a great build,thank you for sharing
  • 637Yeoman and Achto have said thanks

#39 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,860 Thanks
  • 2,146 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 06:34 PM

Great job! I really enjoyed seeing all of the fabrication work that you put into this machine. That sure is something to be proud of, congrats!

#40 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,741 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 07:02 AM

Nice finish to the restore, good looing tractor.

Love the Mullet :rocker2:  :rocker2: :rocker2:  :thumbs:  

#41 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,786 Thanks
  • 44,563 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 06:42 AM

That is sweet. I know you have it all together now, but could a go-kart style brake be put on the axle between the frame rails? Looks like it would be easily done, hardest part would be linkage and a pedal. Or a hand lever.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#42 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 09:23 AM

That is sweet. I know you have it all together now, but could a go-kart style brake be put on the axle between the frame rails? Looks like it would be easily done, hardest part would be linkage and a pedal. Or a hand lever.

The axle is welded to the body & the hub/wheel assembly turn on the axle. I have thought about a scrubber brake with wood shoes to use against the rear drive pulleys on each side. I could do a hand lever brake set up that way fairly easy.  

• steve b and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#43 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 112 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 02:09 PM

Achto, Thanks for a great restoration thread. It is nice to see another Mclean product They are seldom seen. I have a 3 wheel Mclean Husky. I have a short thread on the walk behind forum about it. Steve
  • Achto said thank you