This may seem like a strange victory but I thought that I would share. I wanted strait head screws in order to keep this project period correct.
Well, evidently the new industry standard for strait head screws is the dual head screw (strait / Phillips). After checking multiple stores I found a couple old stock strait heads at a local hardware store. After finding these I started digging, well dumping their bins out & looking for old stock at the bottom. After some strange looks from employees and a half hour of searching, I found the hardware I wanted. Ready for paint.
A little dilemma I was having was what to do with the cast grill. It was the roughest piece of cast that I had seen in a while. The perfectionist in me wanted to make it baby's butt smooth. The purest in me wanted to let the roughness shine through, as I'm sure the factory did not spend much time smoothing it out.
After a heated debate between these two a compromise was finally reached. 3 coats of urethane primer and wet sand with 400grit before painting. This smoothed out the 36 grit looking cast but left enough character behind to show that it was made of cast iron.
I added some 85w-140 to the transmission. Not having knowledge of the factory correct level, I filled it until it was high enough so that every thing has a chance to dip in the oil.
With a good running engine, the differential linkage figured out, and a tranny full of oil I decided to go for a test ride. No sheet metal, but it sure felt great to finally go for a ride.
It's not real fast but, it is faster than a vehicle with no brakes should be.
Edited by Achto, May 09, 2017 - 08:36 PM.