#16 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,474 Thanks
  • 9,312 posts

Posted March 13, 2017 - 03:02 PM

Really interesting technology. Can you imagine if Ford or GM built a truck transmission inside the frame without a case?

• Achto said thank you

#17 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted March 13, 2017 - 08:57 PM

Really interesting technology. Can you imagine if Ford or GM built a truck transmission inside the frame without a case?

Sure would've made them easier t work on :D. Some of the early Mack trucks did use an exposed chain drive to the rear wheels.

#18 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 10:11 PM

To make the final drive pulleys I needed to have a pulley & sprocket on the same hub. To achieve this I purchased a W weld on hub to fit the 8" pulley, I then turned the other side of the hub down to a V hub size. I'll share an action pic first.

drive 5.jpg

A pic of an original hub next to one altered to fit my needs.

drive 10.jpg

I welded the sprocket to the hub, faced the sprocket surface so the bushing will seat correctly. After welding the pulley on I had a finished part. This process was repeated for the opposite side.

drive 15.jpg

It took almost a barrel of sand to get the rust removed from the parts. Most of the parts are ready for paint.

Chassis 50.jpg

Hopefully I will have time to paint these parts next weekend.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#19 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,349 Thanks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 11:48 PM

I am having a hard time deciding if you are restoring a tractor  or building one from scratch :D Don

• KennyP, sacsr, 637Yeoman and 2 others have said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,786 Thanks
  • 44,563 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 06:07 AM

I am having a hard time deciding if you are restoring a tractor  or building one from scratch :D Don

Me Too!

• Achto said thank you

#21 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 10:08 AM

:D  I have the same feeling. With the alterations that were made by PO's and the very poor condition of the tractor when I bought it, it does feel like I'm building from scratch. Luckily I found a person that owns a McLean, he has provided me with the info I need to get things back to the original design.  

Oh, there are more parts to be made yet. I just can't start on them until I get some paint laid down.

Thanks to all who are following along.

• Alc, 637Yeoman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#22 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,094 Thanks
  • 715 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 11:00 AM

I'm a lurking follower,in to much awe to say anything,are you retired from Lockheed-Martin,Boeing,NASA?looks like rocket scientist working on old iron,countdown to launch is great
  • Achto said thank you

#23 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 12:43 PM

I'm a lurking follower,in to much awe to say anything,are you retired from Lockheed-Martin,Boeing,NASA?looks like rocket scientist working on old iron,countdown to launch is great

Thanks Jimmy, No formal training here. I'm just a back yard hack blessed with a mechanical mind... and cursed with a need to do things to the absolute best of my ability. :smilewink:

Edited by Achto, March 20, 2017 - 12:47 PM.

• Alc, Cvans, classic and 1 other said thanks

#24 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 07:37 AM

After this weekend this lil tractor has me seeing RED :mad2: . Lots of beautiful red. :thumbs:

58d81bf3d8744_paint5.thumb.jpg.6210f53798c458aecbe97d10ebb2d89b1.jpg

Keeping all my painted parts cozy & warm in the house for 1 week of cure time.

58d81bfd529db_Paint10.thumb.jpg.fa454cfed00b21cd8b08bbaa3f5e52681.jpg

I can't wait to start some final assembly & to finish making the rest of the parts.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#25 MolonLabe ONLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 547 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 09:29 AM

That is a truly unique tractor design, lots of "thinking outside the box" went into them. Your craftsmanship is outstanding!

• 637Yeoman and Achto have said thanks

#26 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 08:20 PM

I was able to throw a few parts together this weekend. It's starting to look like a tractor finally.

assy 20.jpg

assy 25.jpg

Edited by Achto, April 02, 2017 - 08:21 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#27 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted April 05, 2017 - 08:33 PM

On Monday I got done with work early, do to computer server issues. I took my time off to get a lil shop time in. I thought that I would share a pic of the simple throttle set up on this thing. Just a simple bent 1/4" rod held to the body with a clip. The clip also provides tension to keep the throttle in position.

assy 30.jpg

Now that the throttle was hooked up I decided that it was a good day to pull the rope on my freshly rebuilt K91 for the first time. I'm very happy to say that it fired up after 3 pulls & purred like a kitten. :dancingbanana:  Now I'm getting anxious to be able to go for a ride.

• KennyP, Cvans, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#28 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 08:33 AM

I worked on some of the parts for the differential. The arm for the belt tensioner was fairly easy. The L shaped arm that is used to release belt tension took a couple of tries. The difficult part to over come was having enough room for the back swing. For going into this part of the build with only a concept and no pattern I think it turned out OK. I still need to connect the L shaped arm to the steering.

drive 20.jpg

The old girl also got new shoes.

assy 35.jpg

Edited by Achto, April 16, 2017 - 08:35 AM.

• KennyP, Cvans and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#29 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 10:01 PM

I was able to make some great progress. The differential is in working order now. The pics are from the right side of the tractor. When the front wheels are turned left the release arm is moved away from the tension arm.

drive 25.jpg

When the front wheels are turned to the right the release arm pulls the tension arm forward to release tension on the belt so the inside drive wheel can slip.

drive 30.jpg

With this mechanical step finished I moved on to sheet metal. All of the sheet metal was heavily rusted and damaged. I spent some time trying to repair the original pieces, but decided that it would be better to make new pieces. The belt guards were easy, a little bead rolling and a 90 degree bend. Pics show the new & old belt guards together.

Body 25.jpg

Body 30.jpg

In order to make the hood I needed to make rounded bends on the out side edges. To accomplish this I threw together a press brake that would fit in a hydraulic press. A couple pieces of angle iron, a piece of 1" round stock, a few other scraps & an hour later the press brake was ready.

Body 36.jpg

Using the press brake to form the hood.

Body 40.jpg

With the hood fitted to the grill & mounted on the tractor, this project is getting real close to completion.

Body 50.jpg

Edited by Achto, April 26, 2017 - 07:38 AM.

• KennyP, 637Yeoman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,786 Thanks
  • 44,563 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 07:43 AM