• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 181 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 09:01 PM

I've started the resto on my McLean tractor. For those wondering what is a McLean, here is a link to some info on McLean tractors.http://www.tractorfr...entractors.html I started on the front end.

chassis 15.jpg

I shattered the pulley for the chain steering and had to make a new one. I don't have a way to cast new parts so I turn a new pulley on the lathe out of some aluminum round stock.

chassis 20.jpg

I had to make new parts for the steering so that the differential will work once I get that far. below is a pic of the front end mocked back together.

chassis 40.jpg

The most difficult part was rebuilding / making the transmission. Almost every piece in the transmission  except for the shift pawls was either made or altered by me. This is a pic of the original input shaft with the one that I made. This was the most difficult rack to make.

Trans 30.JPG

This is a pic of the newly made transmission assembled.

Trans 45.JPG

I Have a long way to go yet but I have a good start on things.

Edited by Achto, March 08, 2017 - 09:05 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, sacsr and 9 others have said thanks

#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,547 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 09:24 PM

what you have done looks really good, make sure to keep us updated! and good luck on the resto

• boyscout862 and Achto have said thanks

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,906 Thanks
  • 3,243 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 09:25 PM

My Lord that is quite a feat my friend pretty work, can't wait to see it finished since I never heard of or seen one best of luck.
  • tiretrx, boyscout862, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,760 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 10:14 PM

This is the type of thing that I really like to see. Bringing something back that is this far gone is an incredible feat. You are doing an excellent job with the reconstruction of this machine!
  • boyscout862, HANKG, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 5,797 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 10:21 PM

This is one you don't see everyday. Thanks for letting watch your progress. 

• boyscout862, HANKG, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,706 Thanks
  • 43,747 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 06:20 AM

Glad you are taking us along. I've not seen one of these either.

• boyscout862 and Achto have said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,049 Thanks
  • 9,089 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 07:56 AM

Very early technology and a wonderful job of replicating it!

• Achto said thank you

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,727 Thanks
  • 5,576 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 08:16 AM

Wow, that's incredible, you got some great machining skills.

• HANKG and Achto have said thanks

#9 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 1,722 Thanks
  • 1,069 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 08:19 AM

Loved reading the company history and background. Bet the McCleans would be happy and proud to see one of their machines being brought back. I'll definitely be following your progress :thumbs:

Very nice work replicating the tranny rack. The work of a skilled machinist. Just curious, how did you do the gear tooth profiling?

• Alc, LilysDad and Achto have said thanks

#10 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 181 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 09:09 AM

Thank you every one for the complements.

Loved reading the company history and background. Bet the McCleans would be happy and proud to see one of their machines being brought back. I'll definitely be following your progress :thumbs:

Very nice work replicating the tranny rack. The work of a skilled machinist. Just curious, how did you do the gear tooth profiling?

I was able to use all of the old pieces as a size reference. The spur gears I purchased with a smooth bore hole. One of them I finish bored to 3/4" then inserted a 5/8" i.d. bushing. Then turned down part of the collar to fit a weld on sprocket. The other spur gear just need a key way cut into it.

The pieces for the input shaft were made from a piece of 1 ton GM truck axle, after turning and milling I welded the sprockets on and then faced the front of them smooth again so that the bushings would sit flush. BTW truck axle does not machine very easy, it's not a material that I wish to work with again. Some tooling was wrecked in the making of 5 these parts.

One mistake that I made was to think that the factory used #40 chain. When I test fit things I found that I had clearance issues. After looking more closely I realized that they used #41 chain. To cure this issue I faced the sprockets down to .225" thickness so I could use #41 chain and gain the clearances that I needed.  

I will keep posting as I progress.

• Alc, KennyP, tiretrx and 1 other said thanks

#11 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 1,722 Thanks
  • 1,069 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for walking us through it. Truck axles would be hardened, I'm sure. That eats high speed steel, and even coated carbide doesn't hold up well, in my experience. Again, nice work, thanks for sharing :thumbs:

• Achto said thank you

#12 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 1,091 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 10:57 AM

Alot of good craftsmanship in those parts! I would like to see more of how you made some of themy as I make alot of parts also and find it very interesting
  • Achto said thank you

#13 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • 181 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted March 13, 2017 - 09:57 AM

[

Alot of good craftsmanship in those parts! I would like to see more of how you made some of themy as I make alot of parts also and find it very interesting

I failed to take many action shots while I was making parts but I do have a pic of the pieces for the input shaft before they were complete.

IMG_20170114_110324799.jpg

Here is a pic of the rear of the tractor. A P.O. had installed a live axle so every thing on the rear had to be cut away so that I could put things back to the original design.

IMG_20170115_125528429.jpg

The centers were so messed up on the rear rims that I decided to cut them out & start over.

IMG_20170310_163635402.jpg

To make the rim / hub assembly I needed to start with a tube. Finding a tube with the correct i.d. to fit bushings proved to be fruitless. I wanted to get 1 1/2" tubing with .125" wall so that I could just install 1 1/4" x 1" bushings but all the tubing I found had .120" wall. Instead I ordered 1 5/16" o.d. bushings and bored the hole larger in the tube. This actually should work out better any way. I only bored the hole to the depth of the bushing leaving a positive stop inside the tube so that the bushing can not walk out of place. 

IMG_20170303_153643515.jpg

After welding my new center on to the tube the next challenge was to get it centered on to the rim. After some head scratching I came up with a fairly simple solution. I took some 1" round stock and turned part of it down to 1/2" so that I could put it in the drill chuck on the lathe. Then I placed the rim on to the lathe chuck and got every thing centered with a dial indicator. At this point I could slide the tube and center on to the 1" stock to hold every thing true for welding.

IMG_20170311_130815227_HDR.jpg

Next weld the sprocket on to the hub and weld the hub to the tube.

IMG_20170311_154715038.jpg

After making the rim / hub assembly I cut the new axle to length and tapped each end for 1/2" 20 bolts. I left the axle long enough to have .01" end play on each hub. The axle was then welded to the chassis.

IMG_20170311_155508071.jpg

I have a lil clean up to do on the chassis and then I should be ready to sand blast & paint a bunch of the tractor. 

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP, Cvans and 6 others have said thanks

#14 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 1,091 posts

Posted March 13, 2017 - 10:18 AM

Thank you for the details I really enjoy doing that kind of stuff too. Alot of good ideas for that rim /hub assembly I will put that in my memory bank!. Really nice work you do. I can appreciate the thought that goes into making those parts.
  • Achto said thank you

#15 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,610 Thanks
  • 957 posts

Posted March 13, 2017 - 10:22 AM

Nice work!

Edited by Mark 149 J., March 13, 2017 - 10:24 AM.

• Achto said thank you