• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 170 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 09:25 PM

I work at the Mack garage here in town. Not hard for a diesel tech to find a job around these parts. I don't know about 88 miles, that's a good hump.
  • 637Yeoman and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#17 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 1,091 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 09:41 PM

I work at the Mack garage here in town. Not hard for a diesel tech to find a job around these parts. I don't know about 88 miles, that's a good hump.

I was working at Cleveland brother before that. In indiana
  • Xrperry and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#18 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 870 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 10:05 PM

Looks real nice tecumseh

#19 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,183 Thanks
  • 2,873 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 11:50 PM

The one longer emulsion tube in the box is for the one LMH if you can clean it up enough to get the other one out.The other one has a serviceable emulsion tube in it allready.

Blocks are alot different between the red and grey saws but the jugs should be identical with the exception of the cast liner in the older saw.

I would hone it but the bore is nickle plated in the newer one where the older one has a cast iron liner.You can tell the difference by looking in the exhaust port.You can see the cast liner once ya clean the port up a bit.All newer mid 1980s? to present 2 strokes have nickle plated jugs.

It's cheaper and easier to just replace the jug then worry about burning through it with a hone.If you burn through the nickle plating the piston and rings will gull up and seize pretty fast.

Block has to come apart to change the crank seals.It's a pretty time consuming job for a cheap saw lol.

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,727 Thanks
  • 5,576 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 08:12 AM

Looks pretty nice.

Where do you get your engine rebuild parts for the Tecs?

#21 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,658 Thanks
  • 1,180 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 08:34 AM

Nice job on the Custom 10 TP it looks great

Edited by MNGB, March 09, 2017 - 08:35 AM.

#22 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,438 Thanks
  • 1,091 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 09:47 AM

Looks pretty nice.

Where do you get your engine rebuild parts for the Tecs?

I got the rings from MSC. The crank seals from ebay, they were Tecumseh ones, and the piston came from ebay also. The shim for the crank bearing I made from shim stock that I cut with tin snips on the out side and a hole saw for the inside. I made the pto gasket and valve breather gasket from gasket material and caterpillar gasket sealer. Head gasket I think I got from bolens parts and supplies. I would have tried to find Tecumseh rings. If I knew the MSC rings had the one piece oil ring. I'm not sure how that will be. Not a fan of it. It was locked up because it had a slight ring of rust around the top of the ring on the cylinder the piston was at bottom dead Center so I honed it . It took it out, it wasn't deep enough to have to worry about or oversize. I used to build cylinder heads for caterpillar so I have a Valve grinder and a seat cutter at home I did the valves here

Edited by Tecumseh power, March 09, 2017 - 09:48 AM.

• TAHOE, MNGB and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#23 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,183 Thanks
  • 2,873 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 03:00 PM

I was working at Cleveland brother before that. In indiana

Oh cool. Both of my brothers work at Cleveland Bros in Harrisburg. My youngest brother Jason has worked in the CAT HYMAC division building in the Chambers Hill building for 12 years now and my other brother Shawn is there head CNC operator/tech just up the road at the Derry Street buildings. He's worked for them for 17 years now. They send Shawn up to the Indiana and Pittsburgh shops to deliver the odd ball cylinders when work is slow.

They hook me up with cool stuff. I must have 2 dozen CAT hats,a couple pair of boots,mechanics gloves and a set of good CAT badged Carhartt overalls lol.

• nitro, 637Yeoman and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#24 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,438 Thanks
  • 1,091 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 05:21 PM

Small world eric
  • EricFromPa said thank you

#25 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,183 Thanks
  • 2,873 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 07:34 PM

Grey saw is messed up.Just pulled it apart and found out why it was running poorly and why the jugg and piston are scored up in the exhaust port. Took it apart and it clearly wasn't used much.It was super clean inside the block.

1 of the Jug bolts was super tight and the other one was darn near falling out. The jug gasket was blown out around the loose bolt. More than likely that's where the dirt entered and chewed up the piston and cylinder. Must of been a factory mess up because they still had the factory loctite on the threads.

I'm bidding on another old 2.3ci power sharp saw and a couple parts on ebay. So I should have enough parts to put 2 together out of the 3. Doesn't take but 1 for me to get addicted lol.

Red one still surprises me with how much power it has.It cuts rings around Dads newer 38cc Poulan Wildthing and it's a good bit lighter.  

Edited by EricFromPa, March 09, 2017 - 07:36 PM.

#26 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,438 Thanks
  • 1,091 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 07:42 PM

Grey saw is messed up.Just pulled it apart and found out why it was running poorly and why the jugg and piston are scored up in the exhaust port. Took it apart and it clearly wasn't used much.It was super clean inside the block.

1 of the Jug bolts was super tight and the other one was darn near falling out. The jug gasket was blown out around the loose bolt. More than likely that's where the dirt entered and chewed up the piston and cylinder. Must of been a factory mess up because they still had the factory loctite on the threads.

I'm bidding on another old 2.3ci power sharp saw and a couple parts on ebay. So I should have enough parts to put 2 together out of the 3. Doesn't take but 1 for me to get addicted lol.

Red one still surprises me with how much power it has.It cuts rings around Dads newer 38cc Poulan Wildthing and it's a good bit lighter.

Those red ones are some of the strongest motors on a saw I have ever used especially for being 38cc I have a new husqvarna 440 and that red one had more power. And it's 44 cc

#27 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 382 Thanks
  • 351 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 10:53 PM

Nice tractor. You sure put a lot of work into it. Any before pics?

• EricFromPa said thank you