• Sponsor
  • Member No: 86116
  • 46 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 10, 2017 - 04:27 PM

DIY electric garden tractor, and it could be charged by solar, zero pollution

Little Eddie 

2hrs cutting approx 2 acres or 8-10 hrs pulling trailer on a charge

Converting to battery power is a great idea for a garden tractor I converted one 15yrs ago, I used the 3 separate motor design and it is still cutting grass on a daily basis, it is amazing how it never breaks down and needs almost no maintenance, I renew the batteries every 7 yrs I am just on my 3rd set now, my design will cut up to 2 acres on a 50cent charge there are no belts or pulleys and no oil on the entire tractor, it can pull a trailer for about 8hrs on a charge, because battery run time is the most important aspect of most conversions I paid particular attention to the most efficient design, I used 3 separate small motors one for the drive with electronic speed control and two smaller with a cutter blade mounted on the shaft of each cutter motor ,total amperage when cutting grass is approx 40amps, (2000watts) this design only uses the battery power req to do the job, very little wasted battery power, it uses magnetic breaking of both tractor and cutter blades and automatically applies parking brake when you stop or get off the seat, an amazing tractor.            electrictractor.net

Video #5  Ploughing Snow  

Video #4 Ploughing Veggie Garden

Video #3 The Little Electric Tractor That Can! cutting grass 

Video#1 on youtube    

and https://youtu.be/9LWjfUjQ8a0

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00458.jpg
  • 179 KB.png

#47 chris937 OFFLINE  

chris937
  • Member No: 86063
  • 21 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 11, 2017 - 09:49 AM

Finally got around to posting a picture, sorry for the delay.  

attachicon.gifpost-77049-0-18027600-1489148972.jpg    attachicon.gifpost-77049-0-69172300-1489148989.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-77049-0-12866800-1489149013.jpg    attachicon.gifpost-77049-0-07968800-1489149034.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-77049-0-08773500-1489149051.jpg

*Not too sure why they are sideways, but I apologize. 

I do wish you were closer. That'd be a good starter for her and it's well within the budget. Like I said in the messages, I'm not ruling it out just yet.

DIY electric garden tractor, and it could be charged by solar, zero pollution

Little Eddie 

2hrs cutting approx 2 acres or 8-10 hrs pulling trailer on a charge

Converting to battery power is a great idea for a garden tractor I converted one 15yrs ago, I used the 3 separate motor design and it is still cutting grass on a daily basis, it is amazing how it never breaks down and needs almost no maintenance, I renew the batteries every 7 yrs I am just on my 3rd set now, my design will cut up to 2 acres on a 50cent charge there are no belts or pulleys and no oil on the entire tractor, it can pull a trailer for about 8hrs on a charge, because battery run time is the most important aspect of most conversions I paid particular attention to the most efficient design, I used 3 separate small motors one for the drive with electronic speed control and two smaller with a cutter blade mounted on the shaft of each cutter motor ,total amperage when cutting grass is approx 40amps, (2000watts) this design only uses the battery power req to do the job, very little wasted battery power, it uses magnetic breaking of both tractor and cutter blades and automatically applies parking brake when you stop or get off the seat, an amazing tractor.            electrictractor.net

I PM'd you before I realized you included a link to the website. I'm very interested in how you did the conversion and probably have more questions about the build than you have time to answer. 

I doubt an e-conversion is affordable for me right now. Based on my approximation, you're using 4x 12V 80Ah deep cycle SLA's which looks to run about $400. Add on motor's and ESC's and we're well out of range of what I can pay, especially when I already have a good working unit that does the job just fine.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#48 chris937 OFFLINE  

chris937
  • 21 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 12:31 PM

Well folks, I appreciate all the helpful responses and tractors you've offered. Unfortunately, my daughter has decided she'd rather go swimming with her grandmother today when the plan was to go down to Marty's to see what he has available for us to work on. I gave her an ultimatum and she chose to back out on our plans. I'm not the type to reward that type of behavior so this search is coming to a premature end.

I was hoping to teach her the value hard work and how there is more to life than instant gratification with this project. For now, it seems that instant gratification has won. If she decides to apologize for her behavior and attitude, I may well pick up where I left off. 

So I want to extend one more genuine thank you to all involved in my search. I wish you all the best and wholeheartedly appreciate the advice. I'll still be around on the forums and will do my best to not be a stranger!

Thanks again,

Chris

Edited by chris937, March 12, 2017 - 01:16 PM.

• KennyP, MGP59DB and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#49 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,829 Thanks
  • 8,943 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 03:46 PM

Yeah, kids don't have a long attention span and in a few more years she'll be all about boys and clothes. If you want to work on tractors, you need to do it for yourself and not use your daughter as an excuse.

• KennyP, 637Yeoman and chris937 have said thanks

#50 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,377 Thanks
  • 4,084 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 04:01 PM

Yeah, kids don't have a long attention span and in a few more years she'll be all about boys and clothes. If you want to work on tractors, you need to do it for yourself and not use your daughter as an excuse.

I agree, Logan spent a lot of time with me, and helped on several tractor restores while he was growing up. Learned to do quite a few things including oil changes. He has moved out with his Mom and I only see him every other weekend now. Not really enough time to get him involved with a restore now, but we do have fun still loading up and going to shows, and other things. A trip to Ripley's is planed for next weekend. I would say find one "You" would like to restore, and involve Her when you can. Don't force it.  

• 637Yeoman and chris937 have said thanks

#51 chris937 OFFLINE  

chris937
  • 21 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 05:54 PM

I hear ya. The only way I could really justify buying a second lawn tractor/garden tractor was if we made it a family project. I made a deal with her when I sold an electric quad she outgrew last year that I would put the money towards something bigger we could work on together. We don't have enough yard for anything really fast (atv, go kart, etc) so a lawn tractor was what we all agreed upon. If she's not interested anymore, that's okay. At least I found out before I bought something.

I agree, Logan spent a lot of time with me, and helped on several tractor restores while he was growing up. Learned to do quite a few things including oil changes. He has moved out with his Mom and I only see him every other weekend now. Not really enough time to get him involved with a restore now, but we do have fun still loading up and going to shows, and other things. A trip to Ripley's is planed for next weekend. I would say find one "You" would like to restore, and involve Her when you can. Don't force it.  

That's the route I'll be taking in the future. I'm going to find something that I really want to work on and get her involved when she's not too distracted.

On the bright side, she loves testing tubes when I'm out in the garage working on amps. I had 100+ used tubes in storage and she worked her way through all of them in just one sitting. I may as well count my blessings on her still wanting to be involved in anything I do lol.

Edited by chris937, March 12, 2017 - 05:58 PM.

#52 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,377 Thanks
  • 4,084 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 06:23 PM

Funny thing with Logan, when trying to explain (with hands on visuals) Pistons, valves, carb, starter the attention span was like 10 seconds, but when something needed sanded, wire brushed, or detailed with the little dremmel he would be focused for hours. He seems to more enjoy taking things apart than putting them together. Here is Logan from about 4 years to 10 years old.   

Attached Thumbnails

• Logan Start Tractor.jpg
  • P1010879.jpg
  • P1010882.jpg
  • P1080340.JPG
  • P1110249.JPG
  • P1110252.JPG
  • P1120399.JPG
  • P1150284.JPG

• LilysDad and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#53 oldmanmopar OFFLINE  

oldmanmopar
  • Member No: 55570
  • 123 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted March 16, 2017 - 04:06 PM

I have some david bradley and several other unfinished projects. The Iron wheel is a Standard twin and there is a walk behind that runs for parts. I also have the rubber tires and wheels for it. Father and son poijects galore. North east Pa.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1802.jpg
  • 01010_c5Lot2kF1od_600x450.jpg
  • Best (1).JPG
  • 00v0v_v2PRRSdIh6_600x450.jpg
  • camera 1 117.jpg
  • camera 1 116.jpg
  • camera 1 109.jpg
  • camera 1 110.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted