#16 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,842 Thanks
  • 8,955 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 03:24 PM

Just a thought; If Yeoman doesn't help you, there are a lot of Wheel Horse tractors in Ohio, Indiana, and Pennsylvania. They are simple, sturdy and easy to work on and get parts for. I would think a look on Craigs List would bring up something.

Edited by LilysDad, March 08, 2017 - 03:25 PM.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#17 chris937 OFFLINE  

chris937
  • Member No: 86063
  • 21 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 03:43 PM

This will fit in a minivan

would be willing to meet at a halfway point no extra charge

Man that is gracious of you. I'm not sure if it'd clear the rear gate or rear AC in my Expedition. I'd also still be $100 into gas. My ideal budget including travel is $200. I'm probably going to have to pass but I really do appreciate the offer.

it does run, motor is rebuilt, but the tranny needs a new plug, which should be simple enough, and new gear oil. i can try to get pictures if your interested

Pictures would be great. I'm trying to keep the overall costs low so that definitely has my interest. Having a freshly rebuilt engine is a big perk.

A little more about the plan: The eldest loves spending time in the garage with me. She calls it our bonding time. I've been teaching her the use of hand tools, how to safely operate a drill, and things of that nature. There isn't a lot for her to help with right now and we don't have a project we can work on together. 

Last year I bought and fixed up a 500w electric ATV but she'd outgrown it by winter. Since then she has wanted something to call her own, wrench on, clean up, love on, y'know. She did get a big kick out of riding the old turd (a worn out '98 Yard Machine) so buying her a tractor to learn to work on and grow into seems like the right approach. Plus I can employ her to mow the lawn when she's older.  :D

#18 chris937 OFFLINE  

chris937
  • 21 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 03:52 PM

Update, it all depends on what size you are looking for, i have a variety. i have a smaller wonderboy 401, with a deck, runs and drives, all new belts. also 100$ then i have bigger ones, so its all up to you what you want in size and function

Well shoot. That's when I need to start considering what I want versus what is the best approach for her learning. We have a couple of hills on the edge of the yard that someone could flip on if they got rowdy.  Do the smaller rear engine models like the wonderboy offer more tip resistance or lower center of gravity?

Just a thought; If Yeoman doesn't help you, there are a lot of Wheel Horse tractors in Ohio, Indiana, and Pennsylvania. They are simple, sturdy and easy to work on and get parts for. I would think a look on Craigs List would bring up something.

I can't find any Wheel Horse under $700 on CL nearby besides a junky looking 108-3 with bent tin where there should be a discharge chute for $200.

• LilysDad and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#19 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,576 Thanks
  • 2,578 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 04:04 PM

try doing an advanced ebay search with the words tractor and mower (any words, any order) within 100 or 200 miles of your zip code

• chris937 said thank you

#20 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,576 Thanks
  • 2,578 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 04:05 PM

I'm just south of you. 

I have an old Speedex, I think it's a S23 model. motor is not locked up, but it is complete. It will need a rear tire or a patch put over tear and tubed. I've had it for 3 yrs now, just sitting in storage, not sure what it will take to start or what it will need.

attachicon.gif1385751375570_zps2ca2a5af.jpg

I also have a few lawn tractors I can part with. 

send that speedex to me!!!

#21 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• Member No: 8763
  • 1,806 Thanks
  • 993 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 04:27 PM

I will have to check but I know of a John Deere 70 that is in of a paint job and motor work.

DSC02474.JPG

It would need a lot of on hands work.

In Rossville, IL probably around 100 to 150

Edited by Traill95, March 08, 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#22 637Yeoman ONLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 05:20 PM

Well shoot. That's when I need to start considering what I want versus what is the best approach for her learning. We have a couple of hills on the edge of the yard that someone could flip on if they got rowdy.  Do the smaller rear engine models like the wonderboy offer more tip resistance or lower center of gravity?

I can't find any Wheel Horse under $700 on CL nearby besides a junky looking 108-3 with bent tin where there should be a discharge chute for $200.

While the wonder boy may be more suited to your daughter, i.e size, speed, and ease of control, they are known to pop wheelies, but only if you try. the mower deck being on helps a ton with that. also, it dosent have an exorbitant ammount of traction, which prevents it from climbing steep inclines. If you are looking for a cleaner upper persay, i would suggest that one. it is in great original condition, and would clean up easily. The 627 also is mosltly original, but the dash and wheels have been painted. that would be more suited to a resto. both the tractors have original tires 

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,842 Thanks
  • 8,955 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 05:52 PM

Sounds like a deal to me!

#24 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,659 Thanks
  • 887 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 06:29 PM

Good for you giving the kids the experience.  Personally I'm biased toward the Speedex - there is just something neat about a big wheeled tractor.  Most of the parts can be got at the hardware store or easily made.

You might also look into this facebook group: https://www.facebook...33028410101273/

There is always stuff for sale there and a lawn/garden tractor graveyard in Indiana advertises there.

• 637Yeoman and chris937 have said thanks

#25 chris937 OFFLINE  

chris937
  • 21 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 07:26 PM

Well now I'm torn... The Speedex looks so dang cool and appeals to the child in me. I went to a lot of tractor shows as a kid and it hits me right in the nostalgia.

I was showing my daughter pics and she digs the wonder boys, especially because it's "tiny." We had quite the talk about how she could make money mowing lawns for folks. I told her about a guy I knew in high school who mowed lawns and bought himself a Chevy truck and trailer by the time he turned sixteen. She was sold on the idea. In fact, she's so sold that she says she wants a mower with a deck, not just a tractor to ride around on!

Knowing her, I think a cleaner upper would be the best starting point. We could tackle the basics as they come along. I'd like to restore something but this isn't all about me.

The good news is my fiance is on board 100% with whatever I choose. She likes the idea of teaching responsibility and is happy that whatever I buy won't go 20 mph.

#26 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,659 Thanks
  • 887 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 10:05 PM

If she's going to mow that's a different kettle of fish.  Get her a tractor that has some modern safety features like a dead man switch and disabling the starter if the blade is engaged.  Belt guards would be nice too.  That will rule out most of the Speedex tractors.

I started out mowing on a tractor (Cub 100) that would start and go with the blade engaged and no one in the seat.  Most of us survived equipment like that.  Still, now that there is a better way..............

#27 chris937 OFFLINE  

chris937
  • 21 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 10:45 PM

I do not intend to let her mow in the near future. She's too young to fully understand the potential consequences of her actions. That will come in time as she shows responsibility. We were thinking age 12 or 13. That's when we started using ride-ons ourselves. We started driving them a lot earlier than that. Learning to operate and maintain a lawn tractor will be the first step in that journey. 

As for safety, I was planning on installing a block off plate on the blade engage if we purchase a mower with a deck. I also intend to adapt a magnetic lanyard kill switch as an additional safety measure.

As for the Speedex, my fiance is apparently interested in restoring something like that for herself. Who'd have guessed! I don't think that model would be the best starter for our daughter. It could be fun for all of us to work on together though.

Edited by chris937, March 08, 2017 - 10:46 PM.

#28 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 768 Thanks
  • 667 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 10:08 AM

For low center of gravity and sized for a child thru an adult.  Look into the older Wheel Horse suburban series with the engine in the middle just in front of the seat.   Also, go over on Red Square website, much more WH guys willing to help out with a project like this and a much greater selection.  I got the decals for my autism horse donated to me by a wonderful gentleman over there.   Mike

• KennyP said thank you

#29 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,117 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 12:33 PM

Hmmmm, no one suggested a Bolens tube frame?? Tube frames can be had at a fair price with several attachments. They are strong, reliable, and shaft driven. They are built like a tank and can take a lot of abuse! The mower decks have full coverage over the belt and spindles and all other belts on the machine are pretty well hidden and would be pretty hard for your daughter to get into trouble with. I started mowing on a Bolens when I was 4 or 5 yrs old. Most of their trans have 6 speeds, 3 low speeds and 3 high speeds, so you can make the tractor creep along at snail speed, or choose the 3 high range gears which is comparable to other GT's normal operating speeds. The Bolens also offers a differential lock which allows you to lock both rear tires together to get you out of muddy situations. I started my own business with a Bolens 1050 when I was 12. I would mow, snow blow, lawn roll, and clear leaves for people on my street. The 1050 never failed me and is still running today(I'm now 35yrs old) and the old wisconsin motor hasn't been rebuilt yet.  Bolens is definitely a tractor you should keep an eye on in your search too. Just my .02.

#30 chris937 OFFLINE  

chris937
  • 21 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 12:54 PM

For low center of gravity and sized for a child thru an adult. Look into the older Wheel Horse suburban series with the engine in the middle just in front of the seat. Also, go over on Red Square website, much more WH guys willing to help out with a project like this and a much greater selection. I got the decals for my autism horse donated to me by a wonderful gentleman over there. Mike

I went ahead and posted over there too. Thanks!

Hmmmm, no one suggested a Bolens tube frame?? Tube frames can be had at a fair price with several attachments. They are strong, reliable, and shaft driven. They are built like a tank and can take a lot of abuse! The mower decks have full coverage over the belt and spindles and all other belts on the machine are pretty well hidden and would be pretty hard for your daughter to get into trouble with. I started mowing on a Bolens when I was 4 or 5 yrs old. Most of their trans have 6 speeds, 3 low speeds and 3 high speeds, so you can make the tractor creep along at snail speed, or choose the 3 high range gears which is comparable to other GT's normal operating speeds. The Bolens also offers a differential lock which allows you to lock both rear tires together to get you out of muddy situations. I started my own business with a Bolens 1050 when I was 12. I would mow, snow blow, lawn roll, and clear leaves for people on my street. The 1050 never failed me and is still running today(I'm now 35yrs old) and the old wisconsin motor hasn't been rebuilt yet. Bolens is definitely a tractor you should keep an eye on in your search too. Just my .02.

There's a handful of older Bolens on CL but they are way out of budget for me. That is one cool story though!

850 with attachments for $600: https://dayton.craig...6013777141.html
1468, pretty clean for $700: https://limaohio.cra...5992764342.html
H-14 with plow and weights (extra $) for $600: https://muncie.craig...6025587289.html

The best deal I've seen on CL was probably this:

WH 308-8 in Thornville, OH for $325 with a deck and chains: https://columbus.cra...6025490241.html

Keeping it on a budget is the hardest part. I already have a good enough lawn tractor for the yard (and it was free!). We've hardly got enough snow to shovel these past few winters so the extras would spend a lot more time taking up valuable garage space than in use.

Edited by chris937, March 09, 2017 - 01:04 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted