• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,305 Thanks
  • 3,232 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 10:46 PM

I like a lot of others want & need to convert from the old florescent to LED. I seen these fixtures on FB. Has anyone used these or know anything about them. I'm waiting for a reply about the lumen info.
https://www.facebook...45363855711657/
  • hamman and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,305 Thanks
  • 3,232 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 12:25 AM

I'm going to pass on these, not enough info on them.
  • hamman said thank you

#3 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,103 Thanks
  • 913 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 12:28 AM

Tried to look at the link but have no facebook account and could not. Bought 4' led at Costco. It has been working great for 4 months. Don

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,261 Thanks
  • 2,522 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 04:08 AM

I too have the 4' type from Sams club. ( same as costco's ) they work fine and the newest one i picked up comes with hardware to attach together or daisy chain them in series . 

• hamman, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,308 Thanks
  • 7,149 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 06:26 AM

A while back Rural King had some on sale but by the time I decided to order they were sold out , I saw these they have now  and order 2 to try http://www.ruralking...3200-lumen.html

right now I took them to my sons to use as work lights while I spackle his bathroom, just leaning them against the wall  , they seem pretty bright but if you notice they have a pretty small reflector so the light might be a little to focused  if mounted on a garage ceiling . I do like the pull chain and 6' cord  

• hamman, Sawdust and secondtry have said thanks

#6 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,589 Thanks
  • 5,513 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 09:23 AM

I bought a set of the plug and play tubes from Costco, seem to work okay, but I don't use them that often. I also bought 2 of their LED fixtures for the carport, need to get them up as soon as weather breaks some and I get 5 mins.

• Alc, hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,169 Thanks
  • 2,776 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 09:49 AM

The ACE hardware where our son works just replaced all their fluorescent bulbs with led bulbs. You need to replace the tombstones on each end of the light and remove the  ballast and rewire it. takes about 20 min once you get the hang of it. They only replace one bulb and have found that it produces more light and has saved them a lot of money. They have 5 stores altogether and are in the process of replacing all of them. I am toying with the idea of replacing all of mine with the LED bulbs etc.. I know they last a lot longer and they give out more light, and cost less to run. I have replaced all  my incandescent bulbs in the house wit led. Roger 

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,211 Thanks
  • 1,400 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 09:56 AM

I replaced the florescent 4 foot tubes in a 2 tube fixture with ballast bypass led tubes 2400 lumens each and they work great and easy to install by bypass the ballast wiring. With 2400 lumens each they are bright and instant on no flickering.

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,305 Thanks
  • 3,232 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 10:55 AM

I replaced the florescent 4 foot tubes in a 2 tube fixture with ballast bypass led tubes 2400 lumens each and they work great and easy to install by bypass the ballast wiring. With 2400 lumens each they are bright and instant on no flickering.

This is what I wanted to do. I have ten of the old T12 fixtures I salvaged from a commercial job I done years ago. I was surprised they still worked after being in storage for over twenty years. This past winter I spent a lot more time in my shop than last year. Our electric bill was outrageous. I'm running ten fixtures with eighty watts each not to mention the aggravation of flickering & slow warm up time. Could you give me more info on what tunes you used & what ever else you had to do to convert. Thanks

#10 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,485 Thanks
  • 913 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 11:31 AM

I also use the Feit brand at Costco.  They're about $12 (with instant rebate) but usually they're about $20 for two 4 ft. led bulbs with the small ends.  All I do is remove the old bulbs and simply put in the new ones with no modification to the wiring or fixture.  They work great and seem to put out a much brighter light and instant light especially during cold days.  In the past they've also sold a complete fixture w/led bulbs for about $30.

https://www.costco.c....100235288.html

Edited by Mark 149 J., March 08, 2017 - 11:33 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,589 Thanks
  • 5,513 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 12:02 PM

I also use the Feit brand at Costco.  They're about $12 (with instant rebate) but usually they're about $20 for two 4 ft. led bulbs with the small ends.  All I do is remove the old bulbs and simply put in the new ones with no modification to the wiring or fixture.  They work great and seem to put out a much brighter light and instant light especially during cold days.  In the past they've also sold a complete fixture w/led bulbs for about $30.

Exactly what I used, the replacement tubes were regularly $17.99, they seemed to fit my T12 fixture without a problem.

complete fixture was $30

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#12 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,211 Thanks
  • 1,400 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 12:07 PM

those work great also but the ballast bypass does not use the ballast and saves energy by not using the ballast

• Sawdust, Mark 149 J. and secondtry have said thanks

#13 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,485 Thanks
  • 913 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 01:02 PM

those work great also but the ballast bypass does not use the ballast and saves energy by not using the ballast

When you say ballast bypass are you disconnecting the ballast completely?  Could you explain what you did?

#14 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,211 Thanks
  • 1,400 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 01:46 PM

When you say ballast bypass are you disconnecting the ballast completely?  Could you explain what you did?

Here is a video like the tubes i used with power only applied to one end of new led tubes

Edited by jms180, March 08, 2017 - 01:54 PM.

• EricFromPa, TomLGT195, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks