• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 03:39 PM

So, i went out to push some dirt with the 860, and my belt is so shot that it slips in 1st gear under a load to where it dont even spin the tires (with no added weight).

I pulled the belt guard and theres pry...4-5 inches of slop and the keeper on the idler tensioner is whacking the fuel tank...

I looked in the manual and it said it needs a 78 inch belt...my question is should i run a 78...or do you think a 76 would hurt it?

Im just wondering because im not sure how much that belt is really stretched, it doesnt look *that* bad.

Pry a dumb question, but humor me :) lol.

EDIT.

Part number on belt is 754-0217 (branded MTD), according to google it is a 79 inch belt...

Edited by DZG, March 07, 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,383 Thanks
  • 5,801 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 04:02 PM

I would use the length of belt the mfg says to use.  Also don't use auto parts store belts. They won't last and lot of time not the right pitch for the pulley. 
Check with one of the suppliers on this forum.  One of them will be able to fix you right up.

• Bolens 1000 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 04:33 PM

belts dont stretch but often wear on the sides causing them to slip lower in the pully giving the impression of them stretching.

My dealer interchange shows a 79'' belt , regular size (Nothing special)  so any good Kevlar belt will replace it.

As chieffan mentioned do not use an automotive belt

If you cant source them local I can always get them for you 1-2 days away

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,097 Thanks
  • 2,811 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 05:25 PM

Is the belt on the adjustable Adler pulley? Is the pulley in good condition? It should turn smoothly with no drag. You can adjust the belt tension with the adjustable tensioner.

Here page 10 of this manual.It to adjust till you have 1/2" of deflection.That means tighten till you can push Up on the belt with your ringer 1/2 inch.

http://gardentractor...860a-144-960a/ 

I had to put a belt on my MTD Fourteen Hundred.The chipmunk that was terrorizing me a couple years ago chewed the heck out of most of my belts.After it chewed up the belts in my tractor it found a small hole in the corner of the shed and went in and chewed up 20+ belts I had in my stash.Luckily it had a liking for the cheaper 1/2" belts and not the 5/8" belts.Little sucker chased me out of the shed a couple times.Neighbor got a good laugh at me running out of the shed with a mad chipmunk hot on my heels after whacking it with an old broom lol. Had to put poison out to get rid of the darn thing.Didn't want to shoot the shed full of holes trying to get him.It was pretty funny though.Wasn't expecting the little (insert Bad word) to charge at me like that.

Edited by EricFromPa, March 07, 2017 - 05:39 PM.

• Leonard VanCamp and DZG have said thanks

#5 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 05:33 PM

I bought the reccomended belt, i got it from napa, but it is an actual mower belt.

I seen the tensioner, but the old belt was so worn that the clutch pulley was hitting the fuel tank.

I just got it on, and everything seems to be good just starting it up, i still gotta reinstall the guards and rear tire.

I was in a bit of a rush is why i got the belt i did, hopefully it lasts, if not ill know how to do it eaiser next time

Edited by DZG, March 07, 2017 - 05:37 PM.

#6 old coot ONLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 72 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 03:30 AM

i get most if not all my belts from napa..like you said they are mower belts, I never had any problems with them