4 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 403 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 02:59 PM

Hi Guys,

Curious if anyone is familiar with Eshelman? I don't remember Eshelman ever being discussed on this forum is why I ask. 

From what I've read, Eshelman was based out of Baltimore, MD and manufactured walk behind garden tractor, then riding tractors, micro cars of various sizes, then full size cars and other stuff. They must have had their own foundry as every piece seems to be casted. From what I've read, Chester Eshelman was very unique, interesting guy.

I did some horse-trading with a good friend and ended up going home with this pair of Eshelman's; a 1954 tractor and 1956 Child's "sports car" which is powered by a 2.5hp Briggs 6B engine. 

Really unique little machines that I'm excited to learn more about!

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• Eshelman's.jpg

• Gtractor, hamman, tiretrx and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 330 Thanks
  • 334 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 04:48 PM

nice machines, greatscore

• boyscout862 and oldiron1 have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,240 Thanks
  • 4,621 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 05:17 PM

Saw that on FB and thought it was a peddle car, but now I see it is gasoline engine "powered".

Very nice find!

• boyscout862 and oldiron1 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,989 Thanks
  • 8,776 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 06:40 PM

Years ago it was easy to subcontract to a foundry. You had to have the patterns made and then you brought them to the foundry. Since they were using green sand casting it was easy to do almost any quantity, or size, or shape(within limits). Good Luck, Rick

• oldiron1 said thank you

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,449 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 07:05 PM

Yeah, have seen them up in WI shows. I have also seen these exact replicas somewhere else?  Ebay or sales place?  Seems we recently were discussing these here, there is another forum posting here, don't recall all that was said.  Seems was also a little history or a link to web page with such, also may have been linked in same posting??  I'm not sure how to search on here for old postings.  The tractors I had seen in WI were pretty crude devices, one had sort of a hood on it. Don't recall any brakes, and seems the engines were pretty small for what they had to do. More like Museum stuff to me.