#1 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,243 Thanks
  • 9,185 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 02:53 PM

I'd like to know if there is someone on here that is a proffessional paint and body man? I'm thinking there are plenty of people on here who could benefit from a tutorial on painting how-to.

In the mean time, I have a question about primer; How do you decide what color of primer to use, or does it matter?

• Alc, backwoods, case1man and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,204 Thanks
  • 4,588 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 04:37 PM

I am not a professional painter, nor do I portray one on TV, but I think primer color is somewhat depandent on the final color you plan to use.

Also, the primer and the final paint need to be compatable with each other.

My wife says she is going to learn how to paint with a spray gun...The Gilson resto last year made her want to NEVER use a "rattle can" again!

• backwoods, LilysDad, case1man and 1 other said thanks

#3 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,681 Thanks
  • 4,845 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 04:40 PM

The primer color isn't real critical but it can affect the final color coat. If the final color is light, use a light primer. If you are doing major body work, you can use different colors of primer for each coat and you will be able to tell where your at when you sand down through it.

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,819 Thanks
  • 6,051 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 06:38 PM

You use a rattle can just like a spray gun.  To many hold the nozzle down and move the can all over the place and get runs and bare spots.  Same thing will happen with a spray gun if it is not used correctly.

• LilysDad, case1man and MGP59DB have said thanks

#5 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,486 Thanks
  • 710 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 06:56 PM

These are all good tips , I'd add that another mistake is to try to hurry and cover too much at one time , more than 1 lighter coats yields better results in my experience . I am not a pro. But I do know how to spray with a gun as well as rattle cans .

Most of what you need to know is on the side of the can :smilewink:

• backwoods, LilysDad and case1man have said thanks

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 12,243 Thanks
  • 9,185 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 07:02 PM

I have found that some nozzles are better than others. The nozzle on the Valspar tractor paint has a much better pattern than the nossle on Rustoleum which is circular and too narrow. Unfortunately, companies make their nozzles different so they won't interchange.

• case1man, MGP59DB and secondtry have said thanks

#7 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 07:09 PM

I like to make the primer and top coat enough different in color to make it easy to tell what I have covered and what I haven't. Don

#8 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 07:28 PM

I have found that some nozzles are better than others. The nozzle on the Valspar tractor paint has a much better pattern than the nossle on Rustoleum which is circular and too narrow. Unfortunately, companies make their nozzles different so they won't interchange.

That is one reason a spray gun is good, always the same tip. So then you only need to concern your self with air pressure, moisture content, and temperature of the paint, air and surface. Professional painters use a paint booth to control all of this and dust. It just matters how much time effort and money you are willing to invest 

• backwoods, LilysDad and case1man have said thanks

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 12,243 Thanks
  • 9,185 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 08:15 PM

I only use a can to do small items that I don't want to dirty a gun for. I mostly use Valspar IH red in a spray can or gun. My question concerned the effect of different primer would be. From the answers I take it that the difference from flat black to red primer under red would be noticeable.

Another question; Do I need to wait for primer to entirely dry before top coating,( which is what I've been doing)? Or can I treat the top coat as if it was just another coat of primer? (See, there are plenty of us dummies who need help.

• backwoods and case1man have said thanks

#10 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,993 Thanks
  • 1,467 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 09:03 PM

for primer colors I mostly use light gray, if I paint white I use red oxide. if I paint yellow I use flat white primer.
for painting with rattle cans use same brand I had issues with lifting mixing brands mainly with krylon primers, I like rustoleum automotive grey in can I have good results. I use light grey for red.
as for top coat in color depends on dry time. perfect sunny dry day a couple hours, humidity adds more time for primer.
let the primer dry 100%
once in primer too don't handle it and keep away from any silicon sprays to prevent fish eyes,
as for clear coats if used I spray either 15 minutes after last coat of color after it "flashes" or sets up, or I will clear 2 weeks after to let the paint fully cured
any other questions feel free to ask

Edited by jabelman, March 05, 2017 - 09:05 PM.

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,574 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 09:09 PM

Ok guys I'm not a full time painter/ body man but I have 6 years schooling in the trade an have been PPG certified. As far as primers go I know some paint manufacturers offer primer in different colors an this can either help or hurt the final finish as well as either use less top coat or more or affect the final shade of the top coat. Impo with the gts I've done so far I try to stay with a standard gray primer an sealer before I go onto either base coat/clear coat or enamel. Now this coming weekend I'll be helping fellow member truck 21 paint two tractors I'll talk with him an see about a basic how to video, my paint guns are hvlp (high volume low pressure) gravity fed but I use the 3m pps paint system as it saves material an the need to have a lot of thinner on hand.
  • KennyP, LilysDad, case1man and 2 others have said thanks

#12 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 169 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 10:58 PM

It always helps to use a sealer over primer as you will have better coverage and the the paint will hold up better . I buy a single stage sealer at the local paint store its cheap insurance.
  • backwoods and LilysDad have said thanks

#13 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 12:14 AM

I know a man who uses a harbor freight HVLP sprayer and says it works fine. I have also watched the same man paint a car with an Electrolux vacuum so I am looking for a second opinion. Any experience with the HF version. Don Can one of the Moderators help me out by moving this so that I'm not being an idiot and hijacking LilysDads thread. Don

Edited by secondtry, March 06, 2017 - 12:23 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,574 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 07:29 AM

I know a man who uses a harbor freight HVLP sprayer and says it works fine. I have also watched the same man paint a car with an Electrolux vacuum so I am looking for a second opinion. Any experience with the HF version. Don Can one of the Moderators help me out by moving this so that I'm not being an idiot and hijacking LilysDads thread. Don

The paint gun question imo is related to painting the one thing i can say is ive used alot of paint guns over the years an the hvlp gravity feed guns have less paint waste, as for the quailty of the gun how much an how often do you plan to paint should help you decide on the gun you buy. Personal preference is either sharpe or devilbiss but im also painting cars too. ive thought about getting a harbor freight $10 gun just to try it an then i can give an honest opinion of it to help guys that are just starting out with a paint gun.

• Kster526 and secondtry have said thanks

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,163 Thanks
  • 9,631 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 07:34 AM

I use the HF hvlp gun and like how it lays paint down. Easy to clean, easy to regulate.
  • backwoods said thank you