Time to vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How many of you let other people borrow your equipment?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 05:53 PM

Theres really only three things i wouldnt let anyone other than family borrow and thats my car, chainsaw or logsplitter, anything else is fine..as long as i know who you are.

#32 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,296 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 06:26 PM

My wife has recently acquired an Oliver 1650 diesel for the farm from a nephew temporarily out of the farming biz. It is definitely her tractor - I only get to use it. However she asked me after hay was made , honey how do you start it? !!!! And I said , well there is warm weather starting , cool weather starting , and Froedtert starting - ( you try pronouncing Z's and D's below zero ) and if you use too much ether the engine no like this . Still her tractor , must teach owner ..

Edited by Sparky, July 13, 2011 - 06:56 PM.

#33 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 08:47 PM

My wife has recently acquired an Oliver 1650 diesel for the farm from a nephew temporarily out of the farming biz. It is definitely her tractor - I only get to use it. However she asked me after hay was made , honey how do you start it? !!!! And I said , well there is warm weather starting , cool weather starting , and Froedtert starting - ( you try pronouncing Z's and D's below zero ) and if you use too much ether the engine no like this . Still her tractor , must teach owner ..

:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

#34 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,296 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 09:21 PM

Since this is an equipment borrowing forum , there might be another embeded joke in my post - as Jay Leno says - a Friday night joke !! :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

#35 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 451 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 11:36 PM

For most of my stuff, and most people, I go with my tools. Instead of loaning someone my tractor:mad2:, I offer to show up with it and help them get the job done. I don't want to see anyone get hurt with my stuff or tear it up. But we live in the country and country folk help each other - least around our area they do!

I DO have a cheap set of hand tools that I loan out unaccompanied. But many of my good tools belonged to my Father (auto mechanic) and were handed down to me when he passed. They don't leave the shop.

I do have a couple neighbors who can borrow my stuff- but they are more obsessive than I am, and are the kind of folks who clean stuff (and sometimes change the oil! - and have researched what kind of oil I use!!!) before they bring it back.

One trusted neighbor borrowed a come-a-long one day. I was busy and couldn't help him out that day, so I told him to go get the tool and bring it back when he was done. He called me end of the day and asked if he could keep it another day to finish up. When he brought it back the next day, it had a new cable on it. He had broke the cable, so made up the story about not being done so he could go into town and replace the broken cable before he gave it back. And appologized to boot, explaining why he had lied to me! Shoot! that man can borrow my DOG if he wants! Well, maybe the little dog.......... :bounce:

#36 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 12:25 AM

I have a very simple rule for lending things out. I won't lend anything to anyone that I wouldn't give them. The list is very short, but it does exsist.

#37 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 08:35 AM

I try not to say no to family,most are pretty good but i have this one brother in law who thinks he can fix or operate anything and whenever he just looks at something it just seems to break or wont start. I just cringe when he wants something!

#38 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4719
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 08:50 AM

I try never to borrow, especially if I can’t afford to replace it. However I have two neighbors I would loan to and borrow from. Both of them have used my grandfather 212 with the tiller for their gardens. I now automatically park it at one neighbors house after I till my garden. In a couple of days in appears in my shed clean and full of fuel, I then drive to my other neighbor and park it in his garage. Same thing in a couple of days he comes driving down the road with a beer a couple of beers in his hands. He also will change oil and filter. I have borrowed from them as well. I usually just borrow space in their garage ( I don’t have one) and the one neighbor with the beer is a really good mechanic and he helps me when I get over my head. I have a good set up. I have had this house for about eight yrs and Just got to know my neighbors about two yrs ago. So the spring fall tilling has just started but I hope it becomes a lasting tradition.

#39 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 11:44 AM

I lend out my walk behind snowblower to whoever needs it on my street. I keep it as a backup and for when the snow is really deep. Almost everyone on the street has their own machine but nobody seems to do any maintenance. So I get to loan it to someone every winter when theirs quits or won't start. As far as tractors, nope, it's just too easy to damage something - tractor or property. I will plow out the neighbours myself though. I loan hand tools as well and power tools to people I can trust and who know how to use them and respect the limits. Some people can't be trusted with any power tool. They don't have any idea what the limits are for reasonable use and will often end up injuring themselves. I have a Craftsman 1/2" socket set that I've had since about 1975. My mother worked for Sears back then and they got me tools for my birthday, christmas etc. I think I still have all the pieces 36 years later. I used it the other day to change the oil in the car. They will outlast me!
By the length of the responses I see that this topic really resonates with a lot of people.

#40 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 06:10 PM

We do lend out hand tools (rakes, shovels, posthole digger..... the cheap weedwhacker is the only power tool. We do lend some power tools to a neighbor who is a great friend and tries to replace things if something breaks but often if we want it back we have to go get it unless we specify we want it back when he is done with it. He is only three houses down the street so it isn't to bad to go get a lent out tool from his garage. It does get frustrating though when it is lent out when we need it.

When I get my own place I am not sure I would lend my tools out though. I try to go for the good tools that will last and if one is lost I wouldn't be happy. Maybe should get a good set for me and a cheep lending set cause I hate to say no when we are about the only place in the neighborhood with tools other than the store.

NONE of my tractors leave without me or my brother though and that is final.

#41 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7141
  • 78 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hate to say it but I don't like to loan out tools, there is a small group of people who I will allow to borrow stuff but the list is short. Never any 2 cycle equip. If someone needs my saw like a few of you I come with it, ( I hate sharpening chains)

#42 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,351 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 11:29 AM

As a rule,I never loan tools or equipment.Unless I go with them.

#43 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,156 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Kids and kids-in-law get to use the tools in the shop or driveway. I also have a set of throwaways the grandkids get to play with in the shop. I am the only one who can leave the property with them.

I always tell them if the needed to borrow it more than twice it is time they buy their own.

#44 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,351 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 01:29 PM

I like your idea of a "throw away set".

#45 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 04:41 PM

I only loan to family and a few select friends. I don't borrow from any other than those just listed. If I borrow, I make it same or better condition as I got it when it's returned.

I have never loaned out two cycle stuff. I always come with it.