Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How many of you let other people borrow your equipment?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 09:00 PM

As a general rule, If you borrow my tools, you borrow me too! There are very few people that I would loan tools to no questions asked...Coincidentally, they're the same people that I would (and have) trust my life to! I've also been known to allow people to use my tools, in my presence, in my shop. They're usually family though! My tools are almost like a collection to me. I have many specialized tools and have built a good many as well. I bought my fist Craftsman tool set at the age of 16 and still have 90% of the original pieces. I have been adding to it for almost 26 years now and the value of that collection greatly exceeds that of the building that they're stored in LOL!

#17 Encrypt OFFLINE  

Encrypt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 502
  • 9 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 10:38 PM

I have to agree with the saying that if you borrow one of my tools you borrow me as well. Too many people I have lent things to items come back messed up beyond repair or something major has happened to it and they just drop it off and continue on their way. So for that being said I always go where my tools go just for that fact. Now family on the other hand is different. Outside of my Dad is the only time that if he needs to borrow something I'm okay with not having to go along with it. But for some reason I always get roped into "Hey why don't you bring your so and so down" that way I'm the manual labor for it too! LoL!

#18 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 10:43 PM

So, obviously we all care, and look after our tools.
Here's a story of someone who doesn't
About 10 years ago, I started harping on a buddy to clean up his shop.
It took about 3 years. All the while, we constantly listened to him whine
about how he had no money.
No kidding, in the end when he finally did clean up, he had 56 9/16" wrenches.

#19 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 01:21 AM

So, obviously we all care, and look after our tools.
Here's a story of someone who doesn't
About 10 years ago, I started harping on a buddy to clean up his shop.
It took about 3 years. All the while, we constantly listened to him whine
about how he had no money.
No kidding, in the end when he finally did clean up, he had 56 9/16" wrenches.

That is quite funny. I too am guilty of buying tools when they are on sale. But I know that I don't own that many of one size wrench.

#20 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 01:23 AM

Anyone who wants to is welcome to borrow my riding mower - just don't take it out of the yard. ;)

I like your thought on the subject.

#21 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 03:09 PM

I never Loan My work tools out. Period. I make my living with the tools in the shop. No one is allowed to use them except me. That includes the mill Lathe TIG and MIG welder and the Plasma. If something needs to be done I will help and use my tools.

Now the Tools at home are a tad different there are only 3 people that I will loan my stuff out too. and half the time my good buddy wont even ask me to borrow something I will se that he needs it and offer it to him to use. Like while I am freshening up his homelite riding mowers engine. he has my snapper to keep his yard tame. and last year when his chainsaw broke down I without hesitation offered up my older sthil which he still has but I know it is probably in better care then when I have it.

#22 tm140 OFFLINE  

tm140

• Member No: 2418
  • 1 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 09:33 AM

Only certain people can borrow my stuff, some have brought my tractor back missing parts with the whole back smashed in and didn't even want to pay to fix it.

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 11:14 AM

Only certain people can borrow my stuff, some have brought my tractor back missing parts with the whole back smashed in and didn't even want to pay to fix it.

I like the reserve the right to damage my equipment for my own personal use. Hence anyone that drives my tractors does so with me breathing down their neck in a wide open space where not much can go wrong, therefore, it won't go wrong. This doesn't mean I haven't been chased around the yard by my own equipment though lol. I rather be chased than to have to run after it though, gives me more control over the direction they turn the steering wheel. :bigrofl:

#24 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 01:47 PM

On the same topic my mower is loaned out right now (Rear engine snapper) Told hime that the rear tire is loosing air slowly. Got an email from my buddy saying he will drop the mower off once he has the rear tire repaired. I really enjoy helping friends out when they respect your property.

#25 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 02:06 PM

Borrowed lawn cart from BIL. It was an extra he had gotten. 1 tire wouldn't hold air so I was going to replace it. On my way to buy a new one I stopped at a yard sale. Brand new tire and wheel!,$1.00!!! Just shows ya it pays to do the right thing for others.

#26 jhn9840 OFFLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 126 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:09 AM

As a general rule, If you borrow my tools, you borrow me too! There are very few people that I would loan tools to no questions asked...Coincidentally, they're the same people that I would (and have) trust my life to! I've also been known to allow people to use my tools, in my presence, in my shop. They're usually family though! My tools are almost like a collection to me. I have many specialized tools and have built a good many as well. I bought my fist Craftsman tool set at the age of 16 and still have 90% of the original pieces. I have been adding to it for almost 26 years now and the value of that collection greatly exceeds that of the building that they're stored in LOL!

Exactly:thumbs:

jhn9840
John

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:31 AM

On the same topic my mower is loaned out right now (Rear engine snapper) Told hime that the rear tire is loosing air slowly. Got an email from my buddy saying he will drop the mower off once he has the rear tire repaired. I really enjoy helping friends out when they respect your property.

Now there's a rare guy! That's a good friend to have!

#28 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4710
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:10 AM

I let people borrow, im like others i never borrow what i cant buy. I grew up in a very small town. everyone leaves there barns vehicles and equipment with the keys in them and unlocked.

If i call you a friend ill loan my stuff to you. I dont call everyone i know a friend though.

People borrow my truck and trailor pretty often.

i loaned out my old shop vac last yr the motor burned out while they were using it they brought me back a brand new one. I didnt except it but i told them i might borrow it if i need one. Mine was old i dont think they abused it.

#29 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:44 AM

i only loan stuff out to my dad (whatever he wants) and my best friend (certain things only). other than that i will gladly bring my OPE/tractor/tools to your house and do what needs done.

#30 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 08:54 AM

I basically made my living with tools for about 40 yrs. I remember my first toolbox was an old .30 cal ammo box with some of my dads hand me downs and tools I found laying in the road,( Lots of those). I would loan to my dad and brothers and a few(2 or 3 ) friends who have loaned to me in time of need. No to BIL and cousins etc. I did loan my neighbor a 3lb hammer to bump a dent out of his JD deck. Figured it would be pretty hard to hurt a hammer! One of my good friends agreed to loan me his Browning .410 O/U skeet gun for 5 months! I was pretty surprised at that but I did bring him a case of jalepeno jelly which he loves.