Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How many of you let other people borrow your equipment?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 08:31 PM

Primarily your two stroke equipment? My sister came over the other day and they needed to borrow a chainsaw. There was no way I was going to let anyone ever borrow my Stihl MS362 but I have two little Dolmars that I have decided will be my lend out saws. There is also no way I would ever lend out a saw or any other two stroke equipment without handing them a can of mixed gas and bar oil if it is a chain saw. I also explicitly state that if they melt it down they buy a new one :D

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 08:49 PM

I don't loan stuff out except to my BIL meangreen. And he has most anything he needs anyway. Heck, I borrow his trailer at certain times when mine are loaded or whatever. Fred will take care of anything he uses. We used to loan out our 16' trailer years ago, but it always came back with either the tail lights busted off, the jack bent, hitch safety clip missing, sometimes all 3! There are always certain people you can trust with your life, and each of us know who these are & gladly loan whatever to them, but to the rest....

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 08:51 PM

Never a borrower or lender be.
My dad told me that.

That's a tough one George.

He also told me, what goes around goes around.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 09:09 PM

I borrowed a friend's stihl weedeater the other day cause our's would not run and the weeds were taller than me!! lol
He does lawn care for a side business and he loaned me an old one of his weedeaters (he was gonna loan the brand new one! lol). He was going to have me mix up a fresh batch of 2 cycle fuel but said "This ain't the new one, so no warranty, just use your 2 stroke fuel, it will be fine, if not I have the new ones in the shop." he would have done the weed eating for us himself if it hadn't been for his mild heart attack last week, which he is now doing well by the way. I didn't use it long just because I was borrowing it ya know, just did the worst of the weeds that HAD to be done.

Now, on the borrow/loan circle, it's very small with us. the loop is less than half a dozen of us. And the policy is, "You break it, you fix it." No one gets too excited about broken parts while it is loaned out just as long as when it comes back it has the minor breakages repaired, and the major breakages owned up to with the question "How do you want me to fix your item??" It is better to let the loaner know what happened before you just fix it because they may want you to fix it a certain way.

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 09:20 PM

I like to be helpful to others. Sometimes it's a tough to make a decision about loaning things to certain people. I really try not to borrow things from others that I know I couldn't afford to replace.

#6 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 09:24 PM

I DON'T THINK SO!!! :madhop: ~~ Grnspot

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 09:32 PM

One thing I just thought of, a buddy of mine has 2 sets of tools in his garage (which he lets others use with permission). One set is locked up, the Snap-On set. The other set is the loan out set, which are all cheap foreign made tools. He won't let anyone in the shop again if he finds them take anything! It is a good system.

#8 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 09:47 PM

My lending rule is pretty much the same as Sherwoods. All of my manual operated woodworking tools were inherited from my Dad. When he was alive if I wanted to use them I could BUT, at his shop. When friends ask if they can use them I simply reply, sure just bring your project to my shop and you can use all the tools you want. My BIL asked to borrow my chainsaw once and I said no problem what time do you want ME and My saw at your house?

#9 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 11:18 PM

Anyone who wants to is welcome to borrow my riding mower - just don't take it out of the yard. ;)

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 11:51 PM

The most I let anyone use my tractors is a joy ride, but never out of my sight (35 feet). If I let them actually do anything with it, I am within 12 feet cause I want to hear everything. And I rarely let anyone on them, no one likes to use em cause I am always breathing down their neck lol.

#11 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 07:25 AM

I don't and won't borrow stuff out except to one's who will take care and fix any problems that they cause.I've borrowed a trailer off my wifes boss and of course the stippulation was that it needed to be fixed before I could use it. Lights [wiring was bad] needed a wheel brg plus one tire was shot. I fixed it up so I could use it and use it only once.Next time I asked to borrow it the answer was it needs a new floor if you fix and replace it you can use it.That's when I decided to buy my own and the heck with always fixing OPs stuff when ever I'd want to borrow.I've also borrowed from my cousin who'll go out of his way to let me use his stuff [he'll even deliver it to my place]of course I'll do the same for him.And anything that needs fixing etc: is done by either of us. Larry

#12 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 02:29 PM

I am generally pretty generous when lending things out as I have had to borrow before. (still do sometimes) Two-stroke stuff- I have 1 chainsaw that I will lend out, only to my youngest son, only because he bought me the saw. I'm like Rossboyle52, If you borrow my chainsaw, you borrow me to run it.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 05:10 PM

I will loan stuff out to a couple of people, borrow from the same people too. I am missing a few things, from lending in the past, but i figure you can't mistrust everyone all the time... Hope for the best I guess.

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 05:23 PM

When you have a reputation of having some pretty bizarre overkill tools like we have you get a lot of people that need to borrow them because there are no others of that tool in the tri county radius lol.

#15 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 08:27 PM

I steal Dad's brush trimmer once in a while, he uses a tractor here and there. Family is a little different. I don't loan out tools to friends period, be it powered or not. Last time I let a guy from work borrow my angle grinder it came back separate from its cord... that was the last straw.