• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 3905 Thanks
  • 4558 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 09:47 AM

Looking at a Broadmoor on CL. No engine, another one bought to pirate the engine out of, supposed to have all the pulleys and blade clutch, etc. Seller said that it had a 16hp Vanguard on it. Put that on a Conquest he has.
Although it is a few HP less, I have a single cylinder 13hp Tecumseh OHV collecting dust that I think would be enough to run it, were all the Vanguard engines a v twin? And will a Broadmoor accommodate an engine whose exhaust exits downward?
I bought this engine for something else and tcould not use it for what I wanted because I couldn't make it work with the exhaust coming out where it does on this Tecumseh.

#2 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Tractorfanatics.com

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14751 Thanks
  • 10288 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 10:26 AM

Vanguards are V twins, yep.

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3905 Thanks
  • 4558 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 10:44 AM

Is bolt pattern standard or something weird?

#4 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 489 Thanks
  • 413 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 08:23 PM

I have seen vanguard Singles but I don't think they were used on any Simplicity's.

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3905 Thanks
  • 4558 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 01:20 PM

OK been looking around and see Broadmoor models with 14hp singles or 16hp twins so I think that what I am wanting to do might just work.

#6 rickpilgrim OFFLINE  

rickpilgrim
  • Member No: 86105
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 10:18 PM

I had a 16hp version of that Techumseh single in a early 1970's Broadmoor pulling tractor.
Power wise you shouldn't have much trouble but on your newer Broadmoor there are other considerations.
First- I had loctite red on my pulling Broadmoor as the vibration from the single would shake things apart. Those early ohv Techumseh singles are not very refined in NHV.
Secondly does your 13hp have enough alternator power to run an electric clutch and lights plus charge the battery? On my Hustlers we repowered with Briggs twins I had to change alternator/flywheel to get the 9-10 amps needed to run the electric clutch and have 2-3 amps for battery charging. If your Techumseh was a lawn tractor engine it may have 1 wire for lights and 1 for battery charging which will not work for electric clutch.
Other than that it should bolt in and you can modify your throttle cables and muffler and wiring to make it work for you.

Edited by rickpilgrim, March 07, 2017 - 10:20 PM.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3905 Thanks
  • 4558 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 10:17 PM

I believe it came from a LT, I bought just the engine from a guy via Craigslist, I bought it for another machine but it would not work on that machine because of the bottom exit exhaust. I was gonna put it on my Swisher tow behind. Judging by the wiring harness that came with the engine I would guess that it came from some kind of mower. I remember looking at the alternator plug at the time but don't remember now what I figured out.

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3905 Thanks
  • 4558 posts

Posted March 11, 2017 - 03:05 PM

Well it's gone, have to wait for the next decent tractor needing a vertical shaft engine comes along, hoping for something else better than typical box store brand, which was why I would have liked to have gotten this simplicity.