• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 909 Thanks
  • 397 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 12:11 PM

was setting idling warming up, and just stopped running like ignition switch was shut off.

HUMMM maybe the coil just went bad. Removed the coil and did a test and it tested fine. checked the voltage from the battery and it tested 5 + volts but nothing I have found tells me just how many volts it should have. Emptied the distributor, of points and condenser, Points didn't appear bad but I ran a file a couple swipes and way And did a alcohol wipe then reinstalled them set gap at .1700 per book. Condenser I had no way to test even if I did know how, so I got the new one I carry in the old 74 pickup then installed it.

Now every thing I can check as far as ignition is fine and it is getting plenty of fuel. turn the key and it will start right up fine. Let go of the key so it goes back into the run position and it just quits like you turned the key off.

that part of the wiring diagram also leaves a whole bunch to be desired so I am unsure on where to go next? 

I am starting to think the ignition switch is bad and why it will not run with the key in the run position.

thanks for any help as I am at the end of my rope and about to choke.

:D    Al

#2 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,565 Thanks
  • 841 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 12:19 PM

The fact that it will start when cranking tells you that the points, coil, distributor are probably all good.

Cars of that era used a ballast resistor between the coil and the + with the key in the run position.  Its purpose was to reduce current through the coil and points to extend their life.  When cranking the resistor was bypassed to give a hotter spark.

When the resistor failed they would do exactly what you're describing.

A bad ignition switch could do the exact same thing.

I assume it's a 6 volt system (3 caps on the battery).  Check for 6V at the (+) terminal of the coil with the key in the "run" position.  Work your way back toward the switch until you find the problem.

Edited by MiCarl, March 04, 2017 - 12:21 PM.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#3 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 974 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 12:46 PM

In my experience the resistor on the old systems was only used on 12 volt vehicles. It reduced the effective voltage to 6 volts in the run position when the engine was running. If the engine was not running and the points open and key in the run position the voltage on both terminals of the coil would be 12. I like to remove the cap from the distributor and turn it up so it is like a up. I then roll the engine usually by hand, until the points are open. then with all wires still attached and the ignition in the run position I short the hot point to ground.with a well insulated screw driver. The coil should fire very bright.   Don

#4 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 795 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 04:34 PM

Many coils have the ballast resistor in coil on 12v. systems like yours(if you have external resistor it will be between coil and distributor),if you have two wire's going into the coil you have one start wire and one run wire,if one wire going in you have a bad switch from what I read,check for cross over wire's and connections at switch

Edited by jimmy G, March 04, 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#5 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 909 Thanks
  • 397 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 05:32 PM

It is a 12v system, Coil has one wire for voltage in from Ig. switch and one wire out to the points.

Thanks for the reply's, I think Jimmy G like my self has the problem pegged.

:D  Al

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,537 Thanks
  • 5,606 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 09:47 PM

If it is a 12v system I'm guessing it is negative ground. Run a jumper from the positive post of the battery to the + terminal on the coil and start it. The motor should keep running when the switch returns to the run position. If it does then you need a new switch. You will have to pull the jumper to kill the engine so keep that in mind. 

#7 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 909 Thanks
  • 397 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 05:37 AM

I figured I could do that and install a toggle switch till a new switch came if that is the problem.

:D   Al

#8 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 909 Thanks
  • 397 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 11:44 AM

Well that didn't go so well. I installed from + on the coil to a toggle switch and then to the + on the battery. As soon as I flipped the toggle switch the wire stared getting hot and smoking. Quickly shut the toggle switch to off and decided I should remove the wire that runs back to the switch and tried again. Once again I had smoking hot wire.

Now I am wonder in the coil is short out inside even though my OHM  test said it was a good coil?

Losing a lot of hair on this one.

Then today it is supposed to be warmer but the wind is so bad it will cut the meat off any exposed skin if you expose any body parts.

#9 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • 795 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 01:27 PM

If it's positive ground negative is feed

#10 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,565 Thanks
  • 841 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 02:59 PM

Take a look at the battery.  The ground lead will go to the chassis, the other to the starter relay.  If it's the (+) lead that goes to the chassis you have a positive ground system and need to hook the battery (-) to the coil (-).

#11 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 909 Thanks
  • 397 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 05:33 PM

It is a negative ground and I do have the wiring diagram too.

Parts are not very clear how ever.

https://www.google.c...=A0gAPKI2jFEsEM:

#12 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,785 Thanks
  • 3,346 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 04:57 AM

Make sure you turn the key on before hooking up your jumper wire! It may switch to ground to kill ignition.
You have a bad ignition switch!
Especially if its a 6volt system.
They put huge amp loads to the terminals causing them to give up.
You want to replace it with a good brand too or it will fail in no time. Been there done that way too many times...
Best thing I ever did to my old Ford 1801 was convert it to 12v! You want to talk about start! This tractor starts just thinging about it! -40° out and it starts instantly!
And they have nice kits to convert them easy peasy.
As for ignition switches..Standard or Grote, it could have a Lucas.... I hope not.. they are a pain to find a good one. All the tsc crap is just that,crap! Look for a good one if your not desperate.

#13 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 909 Thanks
  • 397 posts

Posted March 17, 2017 - 10:18 AM

Well decided to just throw money at it. drove to Stieners and got a new switch. couldn't install it as it turned to cold to work with out gloves then a death in the family kept me busy. I did get it installed this morning and it runs but I need to re hook up some of the wires as I have a little problem.

Just thought I would let people know.

• Alc, KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,537 Thanks
  • 5,606 posts

Posted March 17, 2017 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry to hear about the death and hope your life gets back to normal soon. 

#15 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • 795 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 17, 2017 - 11:22 AM

Just thought I would let people know.

:D Al

that is good news,I really like to hear how the story ends with a running tractor,to often the last chapter is missing,A+ on your fellow member etiquette,I am sorry to hear about your loss and problems,some things are just more important than tractors,this site has support in more ways than one and I like that venting is safe here
  • KennyP said thank you