• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,562 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 02:12 PM

I found this on a local auction site , seems unusual , I cant tell if it is a home built frame or if it came this way ?

It really appeals to me and for a few bucks it might be fun to tinker with .

Any idea's. I haven't been able to find anything that looks like this.

comp.jpg

Do you think the deck was salvaged and then framework and wheels added ? The motor is not stock - it says so in the Ad.

• CRFarnsworth, Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,832 Thanks
  • 991 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 02:21 PM

Boy if that's a home built frame someone did a first rate job in it.

• boyscout862 and MGP59DB have said thanks

#3 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,562 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 02:26 PM

That's what I thought ... I can put a few bucks into it to make it a working mower .

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 739 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 03:10 PM

That would be a great mower,can't tell from pics but guessing deck floats on rear wheels or roller
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,192 Thanks
  • 8,898 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 04:05 PM

Cast deck, its probably from the 60s. May be the same age as your DB. Good Luck, Rick

#6 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,202 Thanks
  • 1,473 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 05:17 PM

Maybe made by Roof?

#7 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 309 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 05:19 PM

Not a Roof

#8 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 739 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 07:59 PM

Just came across some info on these mowers buy chance in a lauson engine search,it is called a level-lawn,made by goodall mfg,1950's,would have had a lauson engine originally

#9 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,562 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 08:04 PM

Yes I just found that out and a lot more .

(copied from a thread on smokestack 2009)

This article bring new information to this thread and to the history of the Goodall mower, Lauson’s involvement in the company, and the early vertical shaft engines that Lauson produced.

The Article stated that Goodall began work on a new mower around 1937 and by 1939 he had devised and developed the Rotary mower well enough to market it commercially. He founded his company in that same year to manufacture and market the “Goodall Rotary Cutter”. While he was in charge of the company he applied for three patents and was granted the first on July 23, 1940, the second on April 7, 1942 and the third on August 20, 1946.

The article goes on to sate that Goodall always thought that his major contribution was that of creating a “vertical crankshaft mower” or “vertical direct drive power mower” and that this characteristic was more important to him than creating a “rotary power mower”.

The first advertisement for the Goodall Rotary Cutter was printed in the Warrenburg Star Journal on June 1, 1939; the mower sold for a price of $98.50. The first National advertisement was in the October 1941 edition of The Maytag News; the engine used at that time was a Maytag twin, mounted vertically.

The war nearly put Goodall out of business; he did not elicit any government contracts during the war. Since Maytag engines were not available during the war Goodall used engines from another company that remains unnamed in the article. These engines apparently proved unsatisfactory.

The article goes on to state that as the war closed, Goodall investigated procuring engines from Maytag, Lauson, and Briggs and Stratton. After some negotiations, he signed a contract with Lauson. The agreement was that Lauson would supply completed vertical crankshaft engines with an oil pump which Goodall helped develop. Lauson also agreed not to sell vertical crankshaft engines to Goodall competitors for a period of five years. The article does not state the specific date that this contract was signed, but it does state that the contract was formed near or at the close of the war in 1945. This contract resulted in Lauson being the standard engine for the early Goodall mowers. The article includes a picture of a very early 1941 Goodall mower with a Lauson RSC vertical shaft conversion and a 1956 model Goodall with what appears to be a Lauson SLV (yes- 1941 is the date as specified in the article). A copy of this picture is included with this post. Leonard Goodall with the 1941 mower is on the left and Charles Baston (a chief corporate investor) is pictured with the 1956 mower on the right.

The article states that a 1947 Goodall mower sold for $110 to $174 which would have put it out of the price range of most buyers. The Goodall mower was considered the “Cadillac” of mowers in it’s day.

One final note about Goodall; the Goodall rotary mower patents were infringed upon many times. Goodall never contested these infringements upon the advice of his lawyers who felt that the cost of defending the patents would have proved too costly for his small company to successfully undertake.

It seems Goodall invented the Rotary mower and they were considered top of the line . This is a pretty nice find and I am going to pick it up if I can.

Would have had one of these on it.

lawson.jpg

Edited by MGP59DB, March 03, 2017 - 08:19 PM.

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#10 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 739 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 09:28 PM

Lol,I just seen that on smoke stack,I have a goofy vertical with two horizontal pto's and I think I just found what it went to,the self-propelled version