• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Racinbob OFFLINE  

Racinbob
  • Member No: 55951
  • 76 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 11:34 AM

We have purchased a house in Indiana and will be moving back shortly. I just found out they are leaving a Craftsman tractor with it. Here's the picture that our realtor sent:

Craftsman tractor.jpg

I'm a Wheel Horse guy and know very little about the Craftsman tractors. I've been trying to identify it and saw the thread ericjr16 started on his Craigslist find. It sure looks like the same tractor. 18.5hp Kohler Magnum, 46" deck and all. What do you folks think?

I'll be coming up next week to close and I'll be hauling my Wheel Horses up with me. I hope they all play well together. :wave:

• KennyP said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,750 Thanks
  • 44,532 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 11:40 AM

Looks like they took good care of it.

#3 Racinbob OFFLINE  

Racinbob
  • 76 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 11:44 AM

Yea, it does from the picture. It remains to be see how it runs. They are also leaving this:

Leaf collector.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,750 Thanks
  • 44,532 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 11:47 AM

Wow!

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,114 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 11:58 AM

Quite a deal. They look in great shape.

Noel

#6 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,775 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 12:38 PM

It looks like the garden tractor version of the lawn tractor I got rid of last year.

Mine was 19 years old and had a hard life.  Knowing some of its weaknesses I wouldn't buy one, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at a free one in decent condition.

The deck came with mulching blades and a plug.  It cut very nice when the blades were reasonably sharp and the deck properly leveled.

If it's in decent shape it'll be a good mower.  I wouldn't bother with the cart for mowing, just mulch.  Cart will be handy for leaves though.

ONE THING TO WATCH OUT FOR!!!

I don't remember the details but it will collect debris around the muffler.  If you're doing dry leaves it will catch on fire.  Make sure it's out before putting it away.

Edited by MiCarl, March 02, 2017 - 12:45 PM.

• stiemmy and Racinbob have said thanks

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,741 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 01:12 PM

That leaf sweeper is a horrible attachment, if you give me your new address I will run over and dispose of it for you before you get here :poke: :poke: :poke: :D :D :D

• Racinbob said thank you

#8 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 02:19 PM

It looks like the garden tractor version of the lawn tractor I got rid of last year.

Mine was 19 years old and had a hard life.  Knowing some of its weaknesses I wouldn't buy one, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at a free one in decent condition.

The deck came with mulching blades and a plug.  It cut very nice when the blades were reasonably sharp and the deck properly leveled.

If it's in decent shape it'll be a good mower.  I wouldn't bother with the cart for mowing, just mulch.  Cart will be handy for leaves though.

ONE THING TO WATCH OUT FOR!!!

I don't remember the details but it will collect debris around the muffler.  If you're doing dry leaves it will catch on fire.  Make sure it's out before putting it away.

X2

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,960 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 03:52 PM

Solid, newer GT. The deck is thinner than the older ones, but if washed out, it'll last a long time.
As mentioned, they do like to be level for a good cut.

Now for the things you should be aware of. Not afraid of, just aware.
When you can get a model number, look up the tranny and make sure it doesn't have the splined input pulley.
They are NLA and it's best to catch issues before they fail. If it does have the splined tranny pulley, there is a fairly simple fix.

Tip on that engine... and the dash should have this tag... let it idle for a full minute before shutdown to avoid backfire. It has something to do with the muffler.
BTW Backfires will cause headgasket issues too. Pretty easy to get to the head bolts, might be good to check torque just to be safe.
Also, change the fuel filter soon. Probably hasn't been done in a while and they will act very oddly. Loss of power, sounds like spark loss was mine.

If the clip holding the fuel line up and away from the tranny breaks, the tranny can heat the line and cause vapor lock.

I assume it's a Hydro Gear. Sears says never change the fluid. Hydro Gear says you should. 90% It'll have a filter too. Make sure it's a suck, not pressure filter. Napa has them.

It'll serve you well as a daily user. It's not a 20 yr older WH, but it's a decent enough unit for the era it was made.

#10 Racinbob OFFLINE  

Racinbob
  • 76 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 04:43 PM

That's some great information. Thanks! I'll get the model # when I go up there next week and I will see how it runs. It may not be my usual red but it will still be fun.