• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 08:10 AM

I have been wanting one of these for awhile , I finally pulled the trigger .(pun intended)

id.jpg

1/2 Drive Electric Impact , and 37 piece sockets

sock.jpg

Last summer when working on my truck my uncle brought his over and it was great for removing the tires and other stubborn things.

Yes -it is not the best quality , But It was on special at Harbor Freight for a very good price.

On another note I was watching an online auction nearby and was keeping an eye on this generator .

coleman.jpg

8HP B&S  Coleman 4000watt 120/240

I couldn't resist when I was able to pick it up for less than $50 . I had been there and looked it over yesterday . Clean tank had compression and hot spark . If nothing else It has parts on it that are worth more than I paid for the whole thing. 

I think it will be a good runner and hope the thing works , you never can tell . I know the motor will run .

Edited by MGP59DB, March 02, 2017 - 08:25 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,366 Thanks
  • 5,789 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 08:37 AM

You will wonder how you got along without that impact.  I have a 1/2" and 1/4" DeWalt and they are my go to impact drivers. 

• hamman, boyscout862 and MGP59DB have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,188 Thanks
  • 43,308 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 08:41 AM

Nice additions to the tool box.

• boyscout862 and MGP59DB have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,417 Thanks
  • 8,451 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 08:48 AM

Nice acquisitions. Those generators have two possible problems that are easily fixed and several that aren't. The early generators used a standard grease in the outboard bearing. I've found many that they just needed their brushes and commutator cleaned. I used carb cleanner and qtips to do the job. The second easy fix is to excite the field. With the generator running, plug in a variable speed drill. Pull the trigger. If the drill doesn't spin, grab the chuck and give it a spin. This will usually create just enough current to activate the field and make the generator work again. The drill will take off so, be carefull. I've also had to replace diodes but I don't know where to get the correct ones any more. Sometimes the field is burned out because the user just drew too much amps. Good Luck, Rick

BTW For everyone with a good engine and bad generator, I've found a good generator with a blown engine. People don't put oil in their new engines.

Edited by boyscout862, March 02, 2017 - 08:52 AM.

• KennyP and MGP59DB have said thanks

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,169 Thanks
  • 2,776 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 11:25 AM

I have been wanting one of these for awhile , I finally pulled the trigger .(pun intended)

attachicon.gifid.jpg

1/2 Drive Electric Impact , and 37 piece sockets

attachicon.gifsock.jpg

Last summer when working on my truck my uncle brought his over and it was great for removing the tires and other stubborn things.

Yes -it is not the best quality , But It was on special at Harbor Freight for a very good price.

On another note I was watching an online auction nearby and was keeping an eye on this generator .

attachicon.gifcoleman.jpg

8HP B&S  Coleman 4000watt 120/240

I couldn't resist when I was able to pick it up for less than $50 . I had been there and looked it over yesterday . Clean tank had compression and hot spark . If nothing else It has parts on it that are worth more than I paid for the whole thing. 

I think it will be a good runner and hope the thing works , you never can tell . I know the motor will run .

Let us know how that works. I have been looking at it and wondered how it will do. I mainly want it to keep in my truck for the use of removing and replacing lug nuts on our truck and 5th wheel trailer. I will soon have a 800 watt inverter mounted under the hood of the truck. Hopefully  it will run this without a problem. It will be run off the extra battery in the truck.                                                                                                                Roger

• MGP59DB said thank you

#6 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 397 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 01:54 PM

I am considering buying an electric impact I have several 1/2 in air impacts and all are apperently wearing out ,None will remove lug nuts on a car anymore unless  you break them loose first.My 3/8 and 1/4 in impacts work fine for their respective uses and I have all the air pressure and volume in the world(both 50 gallon compressors are tied together and each outlet in the shop has a pressure regulator and there are 6 of those).All other air tools appear to work as they should so I am guessing they are wore out.Oh I have 125 psi available at ea outlet.but it seems strange that all 4 of them chose now not to function well??????They are all mid range priced impacts so there should be some quality and they dont work any better in my shop at home versus my big shop(1- 25 gallon air compresser at home)Any Ideas on what could be wrong or are they just shot???I do oil them regularly.none are more then 7 years old and use is fairly light really

• KennyP said thank you

#7 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 02:21 PM

Let us know how that works. I have been looking at it and wondered how it will do. I mainly want it to keep in my truck for the use of removing and replacing lug nuts on our truck and 5th wheel trailer. I will soon have a 800 watt inverter mounted under the hood of the truck. Hopefully  it will run this without a problem. It will be run off the extra battery in the truck.                                                                                                                Roger

Like I said , My Uncle has the same tool and I have used it - that is what made me realize that for the price ($39.00 w/ coupon) I could afford to have one around the shop . I like it and know I will use it , at that price if it takes a crap in ten years , Meh- big deal.

I don't have much experience with pneumatic impacts , I have used them but couldn't tell you why they might be failing Reed.

• hamman said thank you

#8 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 397 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 05:44 PM

I have owned some of the electric ones before ,cheaper ones and more expensive ones ,all were impressive and lasted well I just wore them out or like in my last one somehow I lost it??A friend has a 12 volt one he keeps in his truck and uses for flat tires ,It is awsome!

#9 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,947 Thanks
  • 2,234 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 05:53 PM

I am considering buying an electric impact I have several 1/2 in air impacts and all are apperently wearing out ,None will remove lug nuts on a car anymore unless  you break them loose first.My 3/8 and 1/4 in impacts work fine for their respective uses and I have all the air pressure and volume in the world(both 50 gallon compressors are tied together and each outlet in the shop has a pressure regulator and there are 6 of those).All other air tools appear to work as they should so I am guessing they are wore out.Oh I have 125 psi available at ea outlet.but it seems strange that all 4 of them chose now not to function well??????They are all mid range priced impacts so there should be some quality and they dont work any better in my shop at home versus my big shop(1- 25 gallon air compresser at home)Any Ideas on what could be wrong or are they just shot???I do oil them regularly.none are more then 7 years old and use is fairly light really

You could have a restriction in the air hose that attaches between the regulator and the air tool - just a thought.  The two worst enemies of air tools is lack of lubrication and dirt and debris in the pressurized air lines feeding them.  Usually if an air tool has no power it is because there is not enough air volume and pressure getting to the tool - you may want to put a pressure gauge at the end of the hose temporarily and see how much pressure is at the end of the hose while the tool is triggered - just a suggestion.

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#10 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 01:47 PM

Just wanted to mention that I was out playing with the Coleman generator .

Woo Hoo , It runs and it generates :rocker2:

Needs to be tuned and all , but I know it works.

Edited by MGP59DB, March 04, 2017 - 01:48 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted April 01, 2017 - 03:29 PM

I found a great deal on some new/used tires and rims for my truck , So I got to use the new impact wrench the other day .

It sure made quick work of changing all the tires out. I am very pleased with the performance of the tool and glad to have it.

$202 for 4 like new tires and rims :D

S5001587.JPG

I also was out playing with the $49 Generator , started up pretty easy and looks damn good when cleaned .

S5001583.JPG S5001584.JPG

• KennyP said thank you