11 replies to this topic

#1 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 02:06 PM

So life has finally settled down to a point where I can work on the GT again.

First order was to get the seat off so I can replace it, also took the panel off that is above the Hydro control lever so I can clean all the gunk out.

Next was to tackle the main reason why the tractor was parked. The broken steering linkage. after some poking around it looks as though the engine has to be removed. That went pretty easy. got all the steering linkage off and brought it to work with me today so I can get it all redone.

With the engine off the tractor I was going to pull all the tins and make sure every thing was clean and clear for nice cool operation. anything else I should check out??

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

My Little man helped me out thru out the whole process. Having to do most the dirty work outside tell the shop has room again.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 06:08 PM

Looks like your off to a good start
  • RustyTub said thank you

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 09:07 PM

Looks like a fun project. That's a great looking "little helper" too!! Thanks for sharing the photos.

#4 dodgedh2 OFFLINE  

dodgedh2

• Member No: 1678
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 08:59 AM

Your project gives me renewed hope that I can get my MW Gilson going again!

#5 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 10:45 AM

I had to take some time away from the Wards, I am actually going to start working on it again today just to help distract my mind. Should have more pics today.

#6 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 12:19 AM

So I finally got a chance to get the steering linkage fixed. One of the ball and socket joints had broken in the past. Then it was welded thus making it no longer pivot that tore things up.

So I took one of my 10mm hiem joints and modified it to work. Added a stud to where the old ball socket attached. When I get into welding and fabbing I dont like to stop for photo ops. So here are a few.

First is showing the hiem joint and the old ball and socket. Then I think it will be some tack welds and some finish welds then the done product.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gonna add some paint and install tomorrow after work.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 04:28 AM

Looks like this has the makings of a good project.:thumbs:

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 05:48 AM

Happy to see you had some help getting it all apart. Repair looks like it should work well.

#9 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 12:07 AM

Well tonight I got the steering components back together. And for the first time I set the tractor on the ground turned the wheel and what do you know the front tires turned too. Now I need to reinstall the motor. And hopefully be driving it soon.

I decided to not add paint but keep it in working order and once I find another GT I will restore the wards.

#10 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 11:58 PM

So the past week me and my son have been hitting it hard to get the wards up to speed. Been needing to keep my mind busy while coping with the loss of my father. So what better thing to do than spend quality time with my son.

First off we got the motor back in along with fresh oil. Redid a few connections on the electrical. I was junking a few cars at work last week so I repurposed a ground strap and positive cable. So now I have nice heavy battery leads anda 600 cca group 42 car battery barely fits but it does fit. So now the engine cranks nicely.

Next we slapped on the carb and the front pto drive assembly, I put fresh fuel in the tank and with the first bump of the starter it came to life. Some quick carb adjustments and the 15 hp briggs sings smoothly.

The front tires had been broken off the bead for years. No matter what I did the bead will not hold so now I want to find some ribbed front tires.

But that did not stop me from taking her for a spin. What a joy the hydro unit is a breeze to operate. The front tires are so hard you can hardly tell they were flat. I took it for a long run and was surprised at the power. I hooked up my yard trailer and hauled some trash down to were the trash cans are. Put some scrap iron in the trailer and took it to the scrap pile. All in all had about two hundred pounds in the trailer. I didnt even need to throttle it up.

I am soooooo hooked to my garden tractor...... Everything this size I had before was just a riding mower. Man can this machine work. Will post pics tomorrow.

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 03:51 AM

First off, sorry to here of the loss of your father. Good that you have your son helping you cope with that.
Glad you got it to run so easily and was able to try it out. These older tractors can do so much more work. Have you thought about tubing the fronts for a while? May need to clean the wheel at the bead. I will be watching for the pics.

#12 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 02:32 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

We had a big 4th of july party at the house, And the Wards worked non stop hauling stuff. and it will be working tonight when I get home for the clean up part!!

Well I found out that my yard trailer tires can not handle a 70's ERA Kenmore Trash Compactor. I loaded it up into the trailer and was hauling it down to the scrap pile, When I saw the trailer tire pass me down the hill! Stupid 2 ply tire let loose and broke off the wheel. Guess it is now time to build a yard trailer that can keep up with the Wards.

Posted Image

Edited by RustyTub, July 05, 2011 - 02:33 PM.
Spelling