#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,285 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 09:42 AM

I am beyond being pissed this morning. Went outside to my shop and was throwing the garbage from the house into the garbage can. And what do I see sitting on top of the bags of garbage in the can. There was a half of a cigarette laying there. Man oh man am I ever pissed.My Son [Grandson] had some friends over last night and they usually go out into the garage/shop and sit around by the wood stove etc: where it's nice and warm. This is usually where they hang out.Anyway I've told them many times don't throw your cigarette butts into the garbage. Throw them in the wood stove. So yeah talk about being pissed to the max.Just the thought of what I would have lost due to there carelessness has me very peeved.  2 vehicles in the garage,my Honda Pioneer in the shop along with my Kubota and attachments plus $1000's of dollars of tools. My blood is just boiling right now.I have no clue who or which one did that but wow, I don't know if I'll ever be ease again when he has them over. Guess right now I'am thinking I should keep the garbage can outside.I'll have to build make something to keep the animals out of it. This is why I've kept it in the garage due to Bears,coyotes,roaming dogs etc: I guess I was lucky that the cig was out but still just the thought of what could have happened has me pissed ,beyond words. Sorry just had to Rant.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Gtractor and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,363 Thanks
  • 3,262 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 09:53 AM

I wouldn't move nothing just explain to them the problem & from now on they can't hang out there. Sounds harsh but you warned them before. It's called suffering the consequences of one's behavior.
  • massey driver, Gtractor, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,187 Thanks
  • 2,781 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 09:53 AM

Rant away that's one worth ranting over. Hope you explain to all of them why it's important to follow your rules. Hope you have a better day.                          Roger

• massey driver, Gtractor, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,177 Thanks
  • 9,633 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 09:57 AM

Banned from the shop for a while, me thinks.
  • massey driver, Gtractor, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,937 Thanks
  • 2,515 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 10:07 AM

By chance were there any burn marks? Don't lit cigarettes burn all the way through or until it is snuffed out? Just seems a bit strange that a half of a cig is in the trash.

But yes, rules are rules. They broke them so a suspension from their normal hang out spot is in order.

Still to this day when I visit my folks in the winter and friends drop by we hang out in the garage around the wood stove.

• massey driver, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 10:31 AM

Banned from the shop for a while, me thinks.

Yep, ban them from using the garage until they can prove they are mature and responsible enough to use it.

• massey driver, hamman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,830 Thanks
  • 6,059 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 10:45 AM

I would wait till the next time they get together and then let them all know together what you found, ban them and why.  Eliminate the finger point when not there to defend them selves.

#8 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,024 Thanks
  • 681 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 10:54 AM

What brand cigarette,who smokes it,let them point the finger at the one who cost them this privilege

#9 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,290 Thanks
  • 4,271 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 11:13 AM

Good idea, Jimmy G., police from within. Nothing like a court of your peers to make an impression. Impose the fine and let the boys cast the blame.
  • massey driver, hamman, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#10 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,278 Thanks
  • 1,042 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 01:27 PM

When they come to visit make them check the smokes and lights at the door, give them back when they leave. Problem Solved. Don

Edited by secondtry, February 28, 2017 - 01:28 PM.

• massey driver, MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,205 Thanks
  • 4,589 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 04:46 PM

I am beyond being pissed this morning. Went outside to my shop and was throwing the garbage from the house into the garbage can. And what do I see sitting on top of the bags of garbage in the can. There was a half of a cigarette laying there. Man oh man am I ever pissed.My Son [Grandson] had some friends over last night and they usually go out into the garage/shop and sit around by the wood stove etc: where it's nice and warm. This is usually where they hang out.Anyway I've told them many times don't throw your cigarette butts into the garbage. Throw them in the wood stove. So yeah talk about being pissed to the max.Just the thought of what I would have lost due to there carelessness has me very peeved.  2 vehicles in the garage,my Honda Pioneer in the shop along with my Kubota and attachments plus $1000's of dollars of tools. My blood is just boiling right now.I have no clue who or which one did that but wow, I don't know if I'll ever be ease again when he has them over. Guess right now I'am thinking I should keep the garbage can outside.I'll have to build make something to keep the animals out of it. This is why I've kept it in the garage due to Bears,coyotes,roaming dogs etc: I guess I was lucky that the cig was out but still just the thought of what could have happened has me pissed ,beyond words. Sorry just had to Rant.

Tell them to quit smoking ...problem solved!

• massey driver, hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 04:57 PM

Loud Smoke detector in a tamper proof cage.
  • massey driver, hamman and skyrydr2 have said thanks

#13 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,486 Thanks
  • 710 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 05:14 PM

I am a smoker ... I got careless one time here in my house when cleaning up and was within seconds of burning the place down after dumping an ashtray in the garbage. Then going downstairs to eat dinner.

Nothing like carrying a burning garbage can down the stairs and out the door to make you rethink your actions.

It happens so fast.

I think you have the right idea about how to make them think about their mistake.

It is not a joking matter .

• massey driver, Gtractor, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#14 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,643 Thanks
  • 4,705 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 06:31 PM

Tell them to quit smoking ...problem solved!

Apparently you've never met a smoker.  NOTHING stops them.

When I started working for the city, smoking was allowed everywhere.  Then they got to thinkin to coop everyone up in the break room at the same time with half smoking wasn't healthy.  So, the powers that be said no more smoking in the break room. 

Smokers would stand in the doorway "technically" outside but blowing smoke inside.

So that rule got more meat - couldn't smoke within 15 feet of any city building.

Then the powers that be decided the non-smokers had to ride in a pickup with smokers and that wasn't a good plan so.....

No smoking in vehicles.

Then in the mornings when orders were given out the smokers would flat run to the wheel loader, backhoe, or motor grader because the definition of "vehicle" was "pickup or dump truck". 

When the powers that be caught onto that scheme [loophole in a smokers mind] the rules changed again.

Then it was no smoking on  city property, in city buildings, or in any vehicle with an engine that moved under its own power. 

"On city property" covered all the rest but I guess a lil redundancy was needed at that point. 

After that revised rule the smokers rode around with their cigarettes hanging just outside the vehicle window and they'd lean their heads out just enough that when they took a puff they were doing so outside  the vehicle.  

Of course the vehicle was always on city streets. 

You can't stop a smoker!!!  :(

Massey Driver,  glad you didn't have a fire.  I think a total ban is in order for a while until such time as the point has been made.

• massey driver said thank you

#15 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,978 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 07:33 PM

"If I see you smoking, I'll assume you are on fire & take appropriate action"!

• massey driver, Gtractor, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks