18 replies to this topic

#1 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • Member No: 86028
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 08:38 PM

Hello everyone,

First post here, have a few questions re: value of a Speedex tractor.  I will attach some photos as well.

Went to take a look at it today, has a kohler motor, no battery...the guy says it will run but needs carb rebuilt.  Says he can start it on starting fluid.  Also says it needs belt replaced.  

Best price is $400 for tractor only, no attachments. 

Is this a fair price for this tractor or should I let it go?  If it is a good deal, I will pick up tomorrow, but it looked a little rough.   Now I know this is a project tractor, just don't want to overspend too much on the initial purchase or end up with a pile of worthless metal.

Also, I am unsure of model...can anyone help identify?

Thanks

tractor.jpg tractor1.jpg tractor2.jpg

• WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862, old coot and 1 other said thanks

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,324 Thanks
  • 4,574 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 08:54 PM

:welcometogttalk:

Seems high to me. 

I gave $170 for this one at a large auction with deck and it ran perfect. 

Maybe I stole it? 

Hard to put a value on something because its just an opinion.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

P.S.  It would be a ton of fun!!!  :thumbs:

Speedex 1.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, February 27, 2017 - 08:54 PM.

• WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862, old coot and 3 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,436 Thanks
  • 8,469 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 09:25 PM

Welcome to GTT. The price seems high to me. The carb and tank may be junk. Don't trust the starting fluid trick by itself. There are alot of opportunities coming up in CT. April will start the show and swaps. I have seen many very good deals at Plainfield and Zagray. I've also done well on CL. Take your time and decide what you like and what you want the machine to do for you. Attachments are usually the challenge to find.

The money that you put into restoring a GT is usually alot more than you can get selling it. It is easy to put $1000 into a restoration. The original cost plus your time make your investment much greater. Then if you try to sell, the tractor may only sell for about $1000. It looks to me like the price on nonrunning GTs has gone up in the past 2 years but the fixed up ones seem to be dropping. Good Luck, Rick
  • WrenchinOnIt, old coot, MolonLabe and 1 other said thanks

#4 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 09:33 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, IMO to high. Has the 3sp plus reverse gearbox Peerless ( I believe) some say they are a weak link. What's the hp ? Kohler is a great motor but a non running unit is a crap shoot. They are a cool unit very simple design easy to work on. Part availability so so but really other than gearbox , basic stuff. You asked for an opinion mine is pass or half the price.

http://gardentractor...pic/46073-1630/

This is mine just for comparison, was twice the price of what your looking at, but.... They are more prevalent around here as they were made not that far away. Asking prices are going up , what the market deems overpriced ones remain for sale.
  • boyscout862, old coot, MolonLabe and 1 other said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,141 Thanks
  • 7,580 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 09:36 PM

Need more pictures for me to ID.  Looks like an S model, not sure the number to go with. Can't see what trans it has. Some only had 2spd trans. Maybe this had trans-axle? 4spd then?  Not the best price, but mower decks are hard to find a good one, and not that good. Rear implements not so hard, but crude, bolt on to that lift hitch. Sure is Kohler?  Most Speedex had Briggs, but some did have kohlers also, changing the model then.

For a first time tractor hobby try, I always think a nice old Wheelhorse is about the easiest to work on and lots of parts everywhere, easy to find attachments.

• boyscout862 and MolonLabe have said thanks

#6 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 915 Thanks
  • 622 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 09:43 PM

I sold one to a friend just to get him off my back about it for $200 with no attachments,ran great but smoked like a 2 cycle,S model,very cool tractors,area has a lot to do with price,Gtractor got a smoke'n good deal on his
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 09:45 PM

Thanks guys for the quick replies!  Looks like I will probably pass on this one unless he is willing to cut the price.  I will hold on and continue the search!

#8 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 09:47 PM

Need more pictures for me to ID.  Looks like an S model, not sure the number to go with. Can't see what trans it has. Some only had 2spd trans. Maybe this had trans-axle? 4spd then?  Not the best price, but mower decks are hard to find a good one, and not that good. Rear implements not so hard, but crude, bolt on to that lift hitch. Sure is Kohler?  Most Speedex had Briggs, but some did have kohlers also, changing the model then.

For a first time tractor hobby try, I always think a nice old Wheelhorse is about the easiest to work on and lots of parts everywhere, easy to find attachments.

Unfortunately those are the only pics I have.  I thought it may be an S-17 but not sure.  Yes it is a kohler, I believe 8hp.  Also not sure of the transmisiion, was there today but havent seen enough to tell the difference.

#9 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,654 Thanks
  • 887 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 10:17 PM

You've made the right decision.  You should be able to find a runner for 5-600.

• Bterrier said thank you

#10 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 768 Thanks
  • 667 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 11:06 PM

Welcome to the site!   Keep your eyes peeled for a Wheelhorse tractor.  They are one of the least expensive to restore and outfit with options, other than maybe the big D series or the 520h.  But your smaller ones with Kohler engines(some have Tecumseh) are much more affordable and easy to work on.  Try to get one with the second Hi/Lo shifter.  Mike the Aspie.  

• boyscout862 and Bterrier have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,242 Thanks
  • 43,363 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 05:31 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Looks like folks are giving you some good advice.

• boyscout862 and Bterrier have said thanks

#12 pharmer ONLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 821 Thanks
  • 748 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 06:54 AM

I just looked that up on CL.It says $600 with a deck, snow thrower, and a push blade with it. Not sure if the tractor and attachments add up to a good deal or not. By the way welcome.

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,606 Thanks
  • 5,519 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 08:08 AM

Welcome!

I would also say maybe a little high, but then location also becomes a factor for some brands. Speedex was built in N. east Ohio so for you to find one up that way, it maybe a little higher price than down in Ohio or W. PA.

I have to say, I bought 2 Speedex's  ( I think and S23 and a 1630)and a 4x8 trailer for $200 with no idea what I had bought, sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Already sold one, going to sell the other soon.

If you are looking for an older project to work on, I would say stick with WH, an older Sears Suburban, Cub cadet, or maybe Bolens.

There are plenty of guys on here that can help you with pretty much any of those brands.

#14 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 768 Thanks
  • 667 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 11:16 AM

Yes, with the OP being on the east coast, prices do tend to be higher.  Kohlers are easy to fix and chances are a carb kit and a good soaking in a can of carb cleaner will fix the carb.  I would still make a lower offer if he doesn't just pass on it.   I have noticed asking prices going up locally here in Indiana in recent months.   Mike

• boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,606 Thanks
  • 5,519 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 12:54 PM

I have noticed asking prices going up locally here in Indiana in recent months.   Mike

going up everywhere!