#16 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,468 Thanks
  • 940 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 09:57 PM

Watch for a older Snapper damn near indestructible if taken care of mine is guessing 30+ starts every season within 5 pulls if I've done my part. Throwaways IMO all the same pic one , mines a TSC MTD and it gets very little love but is about 5 yrs has a trim mower at MIL's and no complaints. Cause I'm getting tired I bought a new Honda self propelled last year, me like. But the old Snapper is my favorite . No pics of mine but here's one.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Trav1s, dodge trucker, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#17 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 10:12 PM

I looked over the auto choke setup on it and maybe it will work OK. A spring holds the choke closed and since it has no throttle cable and runs full speed, the governor opens the throttle butterfly and at the same time opens the choke. It also has a bimetallic spring setup connected to the choke that I guess gets heat from the cooling air somehow to hold the choke open. So we'll see how well this works over time.

It's called ReadyStart® and I'm not real happy with it.

My zero turn has that.  If you pull it out of the shed and shut it off it won't re-start unless I let it sit.  It's murder to start at low temps.

I just pulled the cover off my engine yesterday to look at the damn thing.  Best I can guess is when I pull it out of the shed it warms up enough it won't start with choke but hasn't heated the bi-metal to override the spring.

As soon as the warranty is up I'm ripping all that poo off it and putting on an old fashioned choke knob.  I might also look into a bigger jet so it's not so damn lean it won't start below 50 degrees.

• MH81, ol' stonebreaker and dodge trucker have said thanks

#18 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 10:29 PM

Thanks, MiCarl. Best I could figure the choke stays closed until the governor takes over. I haven't even put gas in it yet as I have to make some spacers to place between the engine mount flange and the deck because the crankshaft is a little longer than the old one. I may instead check to see if the crank is threaded deep enough I can cut that much off it. If the choke setup up is phony(Thanks EPA and Kalifornia !!), it doesn't look like rocket science to set up a manual choke on it. 

If the leaness bugs me too much I have a numbered drill set plus a set of torch tip drills which are really small in case I need to do a little reaming.

Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, February 27, 2017 - 10:33 PM.

• MH81 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#19 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 11:49 PM

Interesting info here. They really like the Toro (#6) and there is an add on discharge chute.
http://www.popularme...-mower-reviews/
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#20 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 09:41 AM

that Snapper is along the lines of what I want. I liked the old Sears ones especially the ones with the magnesium decks, made just before that silly blade brake came out were good mowers, vacuum deck and high lift blade, would really broadcast the clippings far enough that they would rarely clog. 
I see the old Sensation and Bobcat commercial mowers on CL there's a guy with a pile of them who's ad should be coming out here soon but wow, he wants $150 starting price for a bare deck, I might have to do something like that to get a decent mower.

My Mom don't mow her own grass  largely because she can't start them anymore, (she's only 78!) I go up there and do it/ but she has 2 Murray or MTD  high wheel 22" push mowers that keep on going without a whole lot of work (notice I didn't say "none")  that work good, I like the high wheels, just wish the decks were just a little heavier gauge.   one is from '91 and the other is from ~'98-ish.  one is 5hp Briggs (Quantum I think) and the newer one is labelled 6HP doesn't say Quantum on it but looks like the same engine.

About every other year I gotta replace the front wheels on one or the other,  put a carb on the 5hp about 5 years ago,  and had the handle break  in the middle of one of the holes where the pin holds it to the deck body a couple years ago, welded it back up and still going strong.

Call me crazy but I miss the old LAV35-40-50 Tecumsehs.  I have one on an old Roof fabricated deck mower. That one even has the old fertilizer  spreader type handle on it, the ones that have bicycle style handgrips on it. bought that one at a garage sale at least  15 years ago, and it's on its 3rd engine. originally was a 4hp Briggs,

when that one blew I put a used 3.5hp Briggs on it that I got from a garage sale that still lasted me a few years, with who knows how many hours on already  from the old owner....

then I found a brand new LAV 50 Tecumseh from 1985,  with the paper tags still on it even \, listed on Ebay probably 10 years ago,  and that engine is like the Energizer bunny. It has mowed alot more than just my yard.

I miss the old Toro Whirlwinds with that engine on them that were built in the late 60s/early 70s.

Edited by dodge trucker, February 28, 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#21 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,163 Thanks
  • 9,631 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 10:00 AM

Older Snapper, an Ariens, Toro commercial, or a Kubota should fit the bill nicely.

#22 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,363 Thanks
  • 3,262 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 10:01 AM

yeah but the new ralph Nader/EPA versions have like no power.... and what is in this pic is exactly why I asked why people think their 20 year old machine is still worth $125... for $15 more you get some kind of warranty, whether it's worth the price of the paper and ink that makes up that card with the details is debatable.

as for "what the consumer wants" ummm no. Aren't we here "consumers"? I am tired of manufacturers dictating what I "want".

something like an old alum/mag deck Snapper would be nice. Don't want the "hi vac" bag with it though. I mow and blow.

I guess I am stuck finding a 30-40 year old deck and then buying a power washer with a dead pump and building my own...
and I won't even go into how today's "7HP" engine can't touch an old Tecumseh LAV35 or Briggs 92000 when you hit a thick patch....

Love the idea along with a Dodge Ram emblem on the front of the deck.

#23 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 864 Thanks
  • 689 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 10:50 AM

My push mower is a Craftsman from the late 90s that my mother bought to mow her yard. I got my first ZT about that time as I didn't like to walk the lawn. It has a chute that you just lift the cover and attach for side discharge.

MiCarl my 2014 ZT2242 has a choke incorporated in the throttle lever and will start after just pulling out of the shed. You might check that out when you get ready to change yours.

#24 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 323 Thanks
  • 272 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 01:56 PM

Back in 06 my ex got me a Toro personal pace with rear wheel drive, while it was a three in one (mow, mulch and bag) it did a pretty good job as regular side discharge mower. I see a lot of the side discharge setups have a chute that really angles down. On my Toro one I cut about 3/4 to 1 inch off the end to let clippings spread out more.   

#25 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 02:46 PM

I finished getting the new B&S on the Wizard deck. Found I could shorten the crank 3/4" to match the old crank length, just had to add another thick washer under the bolt head. MiCarl, after an initial 3 pulls it started right up at 42*F in my garage/shop. Started 1st pull 3 or 4 times after that. Checked RPM with my phototach, about 3,000. I bumped it up to 3400. Here's a couple of pics, one of the push button I rigged to kill it.

Mike

mower 001 (Small).JPG

mower 002 (Small).JPG

• MH81, akretowicz and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#26 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 928 Thanks
  • 709 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 07:24 PM

Yep old snapper with steel deck,most of mine had a commercial briggs 5 hp.damn good setup
  • dodge trucker and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#27 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 03:54 PM

wellll.... thought I might have a (at least temporary) solution without too much work. IF it works I just made myself a whole bunch more work in the process.

I found a Karcher power washer on CL that had a good engine and bad pump rather cheaply. I have done that route in the past.
I have an Ace Hardware (probably MTD) 22" high wheel push mower with a deck that is still pretty decent but the engine on it is beyond tired. for $25 I thought I had hit gold, but no.  I just finished dismantling the machine and pulled the pump; this crank is worthless to me.... sticks out less than an inch, and shrouded by a cast in boss on the sump.... that would be in the way of any sort of a blade adapter so I have to at a minimum swap out the sump. They used a 3/8-fine thread bolt tightened all the way into the PTO as the drive member. so instead I get to do a bunch of looking up to compare stroke and rod journal diameters between that engine and another I have here and (maybe) build one engine from 2 if that all checks out.

I have bought bad power washers before and harvested the engine for other uses before and the ones I had bought before this one never had that cast in collar to prevent using the engine for anything else like this one does.

At least engines built for other purposes besides a push mower have the heavy flywheels  so can run without the blade and adapter and better yet/ no flywheel brake.

update; did some digging and the crank in the old tired oil burner I have is also listed as fitting some spec numbers of the same model as what this power washer engine is.... so I can just swap em out. cool, only have to buy a pan gasket and oil seal/

Edited by dodge trucker, March 05, 2017 - 06:58 PM.

#28 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 07:44 PM

well that power washer engine is working out good, mowed with it for the 1st time today.... cast iron flywheel gives it alot more power.... wanting to transplant it to a better deck eventually though... just picked up a Murray 22" push yesterday that runs when gas poured in carb throat, gave a whole $11 at an auction/ carb currently soaking.  I wish I could find a Bobcat or Sensation deck for that kind of money, or even a Snapper or older Toro cast aluminum deck.... guy on CL has a Sensation deck (only-not even wheels or handle included) $150... yikes

#29 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 05:14 PM

update// I have more push mowers than I need at the moment, like 3 or 4..... I have one Deere, Briggs powered self propelled that is going away, (it's a bagger)  Briggs that starts 1st pull (at least it did last time I tried a couple months ago don't like it so don't use it)

went to an auction today, and found what appears to be a brand new-from-1984 4hp Briggs I/C that still has the tags and has never had oil or gas in it.

I think I know the shop that it came from, I recognize the handwriting on the piece of paper inside that lists the "regular" and "special" price from a small engine dealer that closed near me a few years ago and I remember they always had one of these on display...it's dusty as He11 from sitting in this guy's garage where the auction was at, but still has the "ADD OIL" orange tag with it and the old Briggs "5+2" warranty tag that they used to have, still with it..... chrome air cleaner cover has a little rust on it that can easily be cleaned away....  I am not in a hurry, but if I happen to fall into a mower with a nice deck and bad engine,  I got a good one to go onto it.... still has the old vertical style pull starter on it.... I think I  finally just tossed a couple of those  last month, because I was tired of shuffling them around. brand new, American Made, I/C "heavy duty" engine cheaper than a lousy Predator....

• Gtractor and akretowicz have said thanks

#30 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted October 08, 2017 - 09:37 PM

finally found a good one... another Deere, the last 2 I got early in this season got passed along because they were farther gone than I wanted to deal with, one was a twin to the one Trav1s has been talking about lately....

Today, I got a 1981 4hp/21"  powered by a Briggs L head 4hp, 110000 series... curbside jackpot... only needed points and condenser replaced (worst burnt up set of briggs points that  I think I have ever seen before, ha ha) side discharge, large removeable plastic chute, looks like they must have made a bagger style chute, looks very Snapper ish maybe Toro-ish from that era... alloy deck, self prop works well, side discharge only (yay)  not at all  interested in the bagging accessories, single lever height adjust, this machine has been sitting unused and forgotten about in the back of the shed,  for YEARS....looking at tread and paint  on wheels. it wasn't used much. Steel wheels not plastic.... even on my old Roof push mower,  I have to replace 2 wheels on it,  every other year/ and I buy steel hubbed ones for it! (I get about 4 years out of a pair on that one, one time I replace fronts, next go round the rears are shot) the ones on this Deere do look original even.... rear wheels are the driven wheels, even those are bearly worn....

mower model N21SK       engine numbers 110988 0513-01 81013004 

never seen a Briggs L head set up this way before... pull the bail and the cable actuates a bellcrank right on the side of the engine's base plate, just ahead of where the auxiliary shaft protrudes from the block.... rather than on the self propelled gearbox, like most do....

self propelled works well, if just a little slow for my liking, though it pulled straight and strong on my ditch banks....

My son has been trying to buy a house, put an accepted bid on (another) one, if the inspection goes better than the previous ones he has tried for, he will need a good mower... is already trying to claim this machine.... figures.   got 2 Ranch King LTs at same curbside grab, going to try and get them going as well,  in fact as soon as I saw them, I had thought of trying to fix up one of the riders for him on his new lawn but he wants this machine.... "only" 1/2 acre lot..... weird.. most people these days with 1/2 an acre, want a 72" mower that they can't hardly turn around on within their yard....  cmon now, Dad finally find a good mower, and even has a rider for him to have for his new house.... and he wants this machine.  I have at least 4 or 5 others here now, all run.... he won't go without, but I don't think I'll be letting him have this one.  personally I prefer non self propelled because I move faster than most self propelled walk behinds want to move, but I am hoping that having a good self peopelled machine,  finally will get my wife interested in sometimes mowing the grass like she used to.... oops did I just say that?

• adamjd200 said thank you