• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,955 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 06:03 PM

a decent SIDE DISCHARGE push mower? self propel is optional. I am tired of these mulch only, or rear bag only, or "3 in 1" with such a tiny hole to try and blow clippings out of that it clogs about once every row>  I miss the side chutes with nothing but maybe a round bar across the bottom of the chute if that.... I just got 2 Deere 21"ers last night, both with rear bag and one with a "mulch plug".... 

the few I see these days that claim to be able to be used as a side discharge have such a tall/wide "bottom" on the  discharge chute as to make them worthless for that purpose, and don't dare cut that off or the deck will fold in 1/2.....

also; why does every think that their clapped out, 25 year old Murray or MTD 20 to 22" push mower is worth $100 or more on CL?   These were your standard $35-40 used push mower just a couple of years ago, now a days people are pricing non running ones higher than that.....

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,059 Thanks
  • 44,081 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 06:10 PM

I'll send you one of those 'old school' mowers! You pay shipping and get it running!

• dodge trucker and stiemmy have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,611 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 06:14 PM

I haven't honestly looked into much of the new stuff but for a quality machine new I'd check into Toro brand mowers, you will have to get their upper level stuff for it to be decent though. I think everything is bagger equipped  though as thats what the modern day consumer is after.

Most of the mowers do not have a throttle control either and have the stupid EPA mandated auto choke system, which I why I like the old stuff.

Just Trash picked this mower last fall and had it running for under $30 :D

post-7-0-80621200-1478381048.jpg

• Alc, Trav1s, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#4 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,274 Thanks
  • 1,038 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 06:25 PM

The government and the lawyers got into the mower business. It's like the gas cans pay for the old or buy the new either one is junk just for different reasons. Don.

• Bob E said thank you

#5 jabelman ONLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,991 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 06:25 PM

I really liked the hahn eclipse self propelled, it cut awesome, but I sold it for good money to collector, I can't complain about my lowes special troybilt with the honda engine almost 10 years old and I run it hard. it's almost time to find a new deck for it

Edited by jabelman, February 27, 2017 - 06:26 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#6 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,978 Thanks
  • 3,289 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 06:27 PM

a decent SIDE DISCHARGE push mower? self propel is optional. I am tired of these mulch only, or rear bag only, or "3 in 1" with such a tiny hole to try and blow clippings out of that it clogs about once every row>  I miss the side chutes with nothing but maybe a round bar across the bottom of the chute if that.... I just got 2 Deere 21"ers last night, both with rear bag and one with a "mulch plug".... 
the few I see these days that claim to be able to be used as a side discharge have such a tall/wide "bottom" on the  discharge chute as to make them worthless for that purpose, and don't dare cut that off or the deck will fold in 1/2.....

also; why does every think that their clapped out, 25 year old Murray or MTD 20 to 22" push mower is worth $100 or more on CL?   These were your standard $35-40 used push mower just a couple of years ago, now a days people are pricing non running ones higher than that..... Because the old Murray is still better

than what's for sale today, I have one runs great.

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,743 Thanks
  • 930 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 07:29 PM

Home Depot has this one on sale for $139.

9b6e9670-e692-4699-9849-1a66f3e05db3_100

Looks about like the lawnmowers I grew up with.

No throttle or choke lever that I can see.  Hard to start, runs wide open.  When it breaks throw it away because it's cheaper to replace than repair.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 07:46 PM

Bought a High Wheel about 4 years ago at Orschelns.  So far no problems with it.  Keep the chute held open so the clippings can get out.  I live in the country so can get away with it.  Those 5" wheels push hard and bounce all over the place on rough ground, that's why I went with the 12" wheels on the back.  Also that is what the operator wanted.

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 309 Thanks
  • 219 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 08:16 PM

Knew a fellow 30 yrs back that would purchase 2 or 3 mowers late in the fall when Kmart put them on sale. He would run it until it need a spark plug or the blade got dull. Put at the curb with Free sign on it, get another out and use it. I think he got a kick out of setting back and watching to see who picked up the one at the curb.

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,955 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 08:17 PM

Home Depot has this one on sale for $139.

9b6e9670-e692-4699-9849-1a66f3e05db3_100

Looks about like the lawnmowers I grew up with.

No throttle or choke lever that I can see.  Hard to start, runs wide open.  When it breaks throw it away because it's cheaper to replace than repair.

yeah but the new ralph Nader/EPA versions have like no power.... and what is in this pic is exactly why I asked why people think their 20 year old machine is still worth $125... for $15 more you get some kind of warranty, whether it's worth the price of the paper and ink that makes up that card with the details is debatable.

as for "what the consumer wants" ummm no. Aren't we here "consumers"? I am tired of manufacturers dictating what I "want".

something like an old alum/mag deck Snapper would be nice. Don't want the "hi vac" bag with it though. I mow and blow.

I guess I am stuck finding a 30-40 year old deck and then buying a power washer with a dead pump and building my own...

and I won't even go into how today's "7HP"  engine can't touch an old Tecumseh LAV35 or Briggs 92000 when you hit a thick patch....

• Sawdust and Bob E have said thanks

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,955 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 08:18 PM

Knew a fellow 30 yrs back that would purchase 2 or 3 mowers late in the fall when Kmart put them on sale. He would run it until it need a spark plug or the blade got dull. Put at the curb with Free sign on it, get another out and use it. I think he got a kick out of setting back and watching to see who picked up the one at the curb.

had lots of them old Kmart mowers as a kid. Sears ones too. often I was the one wheeling them away from the curb.

Edited by dodge trucker, February 27, 2017 - 08:18 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,354 Thanks
  • 7,733 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 08:20 PM

I don't do bagger thing, have the blockage on my chute, never took off. I think Mulching is the way to go. Not much grass laying on top and what does drops down in a day, out of sight. Have to push it though.  That IS kinda hard to get used to the no throttle and choke on new ones. Mine still has the throttle, but push balloon thing for the start-up.  Works first pull most times. As noted UPPER class rigs are better to work with and the features, better wheels and adjustability and such.

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,611 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 08:36 PM

as for "what the consumer wants" ummm no. Aren't we here "consumers"? I am tired of manufacturers dictating what I "want".

Unfortunately the few of us on these groups do not warrant enough of a demand for a sturdy well built machine, the majority of today's populace simply wants to buy something for as close to FREE as possible then when the machine runs out of oil or bends a blade they chuck it and buy another $100 lowes special.

Engine manufactures have been in a  strangle hold with lavish EPA regulations and constricted with what they can make and sell in the US, heck they are even mandating charcoal filters on mowers so the scary "Gas vapors" dont escape and burn a hole through the o-Zone :hitting_self_roller:  .

Thats why B&S moved all their tooling and main manufacturing  to China because there are no regulations and the classic L head engines we used to be able to have here from the 80's to 90's are still being made new over there as no regulations are imposed on them.

and what is in this pic is exactly why I asked why people think their 20 year old machine is still worth $125... for $15 more you get some kind of warranty, whether it's worth the price of the paper and ink that makes up that card with the details is debatable.

Maybe people are finally starting to see what a quality machine is and would rather buy a classic mower with thicker gauge steel instead of a $100 special.

As a enthusiast of the old I'd personally buy a 20-40 year old push mower for $100 and even if I had to put another $100+ into it it would still be worth it in my opinion

Anyway just offering some  views on this subject  :wave: 

• Gtractor, akretowicz, Trav1s and 1 other said thanks

#14 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 925 Thanks
  • 705 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 09:21 PM

I remember the Kmart push mowers back in the late 70s,80s. Dad bought one ,it had a briggs 3 hp on it. As a kid I didn't like mowing the huge yard we had. That damn thing always started. I run the hell out of it for 2 hours, 2 times a week for years.you could have lit a cigarette on the muffler when I was done mowing.wish I still had it. As far as my favorite Mower? Old steel deck self propelled snappers.i had 4 of them at the same time,for years.i wouldn't even think of buying anything else for my own use

Edited by Xrperry, February 27, 2017 - 09:26 PM.

• backwoods and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 09:36 PM

I just took delivery of a B&S 725EXI for my old Wizard aluminum tunnel deck. The old B&S was getting awfully tired. I pulled it off someone's junk trailer 10 years ago. Pulled the head off and the cyl was scored some, if not for that I planned to get a new rod, piston and rings for it. I looked over the auto choke setup on it and maybe it will work OK. A spring holds the choke closed and since it has no throttle cable and runs full speed, the governor opens the throttle butterfly and at the same time opens the choke. It also has a bimetallic spring setup connected to the choke that I guess gets heat from the cooling air somehow to hold the choke open. So we'll see how well this works over time. 

I just can't bring myself to let go of the old tunnel deck. I've replaced the wheels on it once. It does a good job of mulching and if the grass is too high it has a door I can hold open with a short rubber snubber for side discharge. 

I removed the blade brake, which I detest, and set up a pushbutton switch to kill the spark. OK, you safety nazis turn on the flames 'cause I don't care!!

Mike

• akretowicz, oldedeeres and dodge trucker have said thanks