• 100_2242.JPG

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 07:03 PM

Awesome, and thanks for sharing the pics! 1200 wasn't a bad price for the G. I finally found a good AKN for my Gard'n Mast'r JR and I'm in the process of rebuilding it now. I'm converting it to a gear reduction AKN with the crankshaft and reduction unit from a Wisconsin AB. I came across a new Bendix Stromberg carb for the AKN, but most of the AKN engines that I see have the Marvel Schebler VH. Slowly but surely, this tractor will be restored. Conversations don't seem to go too far on here regarding Gard'n Mast'r tractors. It would be great to see more pics and conversations about them.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2017-02-24 16.30.52.jpg
  • 20170223_122636-1.jpg

• chris m said thank you

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,316 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 07:15 PM

Awesome, and thanks for sharing the pics! 1200 wasn't a bad price for the G. I finally found a good AKN for my Gard'n Mast'r JR and I'm in the process of rebuilding it now. I'm converting it to a gear reduction AKN with the crankshaft and reduction unit from a Wisconsin AB. I came across a new Bendix Stromberg carb for the AKN, but most of the AKN engines that I see have the Marvel Schebler VH. Slowly but surely, this tractor will be restored. Conversations don't seem to go too far on here regarding Gard'n Mast'r tractors. It would be great to see more pics and conversations about them.

Can't wait to see it done! Some day when I can finally get the shop built, I will get back into it. Right now I have had my plate full taking care of things for my dad and working 2nd shift. But I will get back at it eventually. :D

• classic said thank you

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 07:35 PM

I've been real busy myself Chris and know how it is. I didn't plan on working on this G Mast'r JR, but I had to dive in once an engine turned up. I was going to install the new exhaust valve seat today, but the pocket in the exhaust port was too deep for my replacement valve seat. I did an NSN search on the part numbers of exhaust seats for AKN and BKN engines. It turns out that my AKN has the deeper pocket for the exhaust valve seat like the BKN. A friend had two of the BKN exhaust seats, part number HG-214 and is sending them to me. I also found out that the Fairbanks Morse magneto that came on my AKN won't be able to be removed once the gear reduction unit is installed on the engine. The Wico mag can be removed with the gear reduction installed, so I'll use one of them. Here is a comparison between the two magnetos.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170226_191820-1.jpg

• chris m said thank you

#5 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 514 Thanks
  • 447 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 07:23 AM

Classic, I'm impressed by how clean you get all of your parts. Are all of them blasted or do you have a ultrasonic cleaner? I'm always trying to figure out the easiest way to do that sort of unpleasant job.

• classic said thank you

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 09:42 AM

Irhredjb, I use various methods to clean my parts, but none of them are real quick and easy. I do sand blast some things and use zip strip along with wire brushes and fiber brushes. It takes quite a while to get everything cleaned real good and get it all ready for assembly and paint. This is what takes me so long to get a project completed, but I'm in no rush. It doesn't help that I'm working on restoring five garden tractors at once, but I alternate between them as I locate needed parts. I do have a question about the Gard'n Mast'r JR tractor with the Wisconsin AKN with the gear reduction. I need someone who has one to see what code is on the aluminum I'D tag on the gear reducer. I'm not sure if it's the 5-1/2:1 or 6:1 gear reduction unit. I'm guessing 6:1 since that's what's on my Gard'n Mast'r JS with the Briggs. Also, I'm wondering what spec number should be on the engine ID tag. I do have a Wisconsin model AB with a 5-1/2:1 gear reduction unit on it and the spec number ends in -3. I'm wondering if the -3 is only on gear reduction engines. I want this restoration to be as accurate as possible, so I'm searching high and low to get the little details right.

Edited by classic, February 27, 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#7 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 09:55 AM

Nice to see the tractors, Irhredjb, they are in nice shape. That looks like a late JR, telltales being it doesn't have an air cleaner through the hood and the squeeze handle on the implement lift. That is a late GB with the 5 lug front rims. I wonder where his foot rests are though. They seem to be missing from both sides, they would have been round rod same size as the clutch pedal. An even later G would have the transmission front angle iron support continued out for foot rests. Did you get the serial numbers of either one? Hope you're having fun in Florida. The weather's not that bad back here.

#8 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 514 Thanks
  • 447 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 02:17 PM

Here's one I saw at the Portland, IN show a year or so ago. Owner could be a member here?

Gardenall%20resize.jpg

Edited by lrhredjb, February 28, 2017 - 02:25 PM.

• classic and GardnMastr have said thanks

#9 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 06:24 PM

Irhredjb, that red and white "Big J" belongs to a friend of mine, Carey. That is a big brother to your Indy built red and white "Bulldog".
  • classic said thank you

#10 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,971 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 06:36 PM

Classic, I'm impressed by how clean you get all of your parts. Are all of them blasted or do you have a ultrasonic cleaner? I'm always trying to figure out the easiest way to do that sort of unpleasant job.

lately for tractor parts I have been using regular cheap white vinegar in tote box, soak for 3 or 4 days hit with a wire brush and rinse, then back in for a week or 2. comes out as great. works awesome on gas tanks. I haven't done this on engine parts.
  • classic said thank you

#11 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Classic, I surveyed my JR 's. 4 of 5 had the original engines. The spec. no. on the 4 were identical and the number is 95631.
  • classic said thank you

#12 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Gmastr, I appreciate the info. I have to stamp the correct number on a repro Wisconsin tag, since I'm missing the original engine for my tractor. I hate to trouble you again, but did all of the aluminum tags on the gear reduction units have the same part number? I picked up an old NOS Wisconsin cylinder head, and it is in original dark blue grey paint. It matches the paint perfectly on a January 1952 AKN that I have. I'm going to see if I can get this color matched at a paint Store for my Wisconsin engines.

#13 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 06:58 PM

image.jpg I almost forgot, pictures make it real, right.
  • classic said thank you

#14 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted February 28, 2017 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the pic Gmastr. Here's a pic of the JR that I picked up and that I'm building the AKN for. In the pic, I installed a Wisconsin AB from a Bolens Husky Gardener just to take the tractor for a ride. The green paint on the gear reduction unit and engine are Bolens paint. The tractor itself was painted multiple times over the years, but you can see some of the original green paint. I've seen the light green metallic paint like the JR in the first post. I've always wondered about the original paint used on these tractors since it looks like it varies greatly. I've read in one of the manuals that the color for the JR was jade green.Here is a '36 Plymouth with a similar looking green paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160827_181949.jpg
  • $_3-33.jpeg

• Alc said thank you

#15 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,316 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted March 01, 2017 - 12:56 AM

Thanks for the pic Gmastr. Here's a pic of the JR that I picked up and that I'm building the AKN for. In the pic, I installed a Wisconsin AB from a Bolens Husky Gardener just to take the tractor for a ride. The green paint on the gear reduction unit and engine are Bolens paint. The tractor itself was painted multiple times over the years, but you can see some of the original green paint. I've seen the light green metallic paint like the JR in the first post. I've always wondered about the original paint used on these tractors since it looks like it varies greatly. I've read in one of the manuals that the color for the JR was jade green.Here is a '36 Plymouth with a similar looking green paint.

When I was researching them I found out the guys building them would mix different colors they had in the shop, that is why there seems to be so many different green Gard'n Mastr's out there. That is also why the Decals where often in different spots or even different sizes.

• classic said thank you