29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,949 Thanks
  • 2,234 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 04:23 PM

Was using my 3/8" corded electric drill a couple of weeks ago wire brushing a hood when it made a bit of a growling noise and stopped working in reverse.  I didn't see any magic smoke come out of it so I stopped cleaning up the metal, unplugged the drill and took it apart.  A quick inspection revealed that one of the brushes for the motor had reached the end of its travel and was no longer making contact with the armature - didn't surprise me as the drill is about 15 years ago and has done a lot of work over the years.  I modified the two grooves in each of the brushes so they could travel further in the brush folder with a hack saw blade, put the drill back together and tried it - the drill ran and sounded good and no magic smoke left it when I pulled the trigger so I marked down the model number and found a parts break down on the Dewalt tool site and checked out the brushes.  They were still available and priced reasonable so I ordered a set through my local Napa store as I knew that my repair was only a temporary fix.  Picked the brushes up Friday and got around to installing them - as you can see by the pictures I think I got my monies worth out of the original ones.  I noticed the outer covering of the cord had a crack where the strain relief boot ended so I slid the boot out of the road and put a layer of electrical tape over it and then slid the boot back overtop.  Cleaned up the armature with a scotch brite pad (it is worn a little bit but should last for a while yet) and used a small flat bladed screwdriver to clean out the grooves, installed the new brushes and put the drill back together and it worked and the magic smoke is still intact.  Even though the drill says made in Mexico and I was a bit dubious about buying it back when I got it the drill has served me well and really doesn't owe me anything.  It was kinda fun to be able to order the brushes,  disassemble it ,replace the brushes and put it back together so I thought I would share the repair. Not sure how many more years the drill will keep working but I may as well use it as long as it works.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Dewalt D21008 Electric Drill.jpg
  • 2 Drill Apart.jpg
  • 3 Armature.jpg
  • 4 Field Assembly.jpg
  • 5 Cord Covering Cracked.jpg
  • 6 Cord Casing Taped Up.jpg
  • 7 Strain Relief Slid Back Over Cord.jpg
  • 8 Commutator Cleaned Up WIth Scotch Brite Pad.jpg
  • 9 New Brushes Beside Old Ones.jpg
  • 10 New Brushes Installed.jpg
  • 11 Armature Back In Field Assembly.jpg
  • 12 Ready To Reassemble Case.jpg

• DH1, Gtractor, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,210 Thanks
  • 43,326 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 04:30 PM

I have one just like that! Probably have to do that before long.

• boyscout862 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,381 Thanks
  • 5,799 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 07:23 PM

I have 3 or 4 corded drills around but very seldom use them.  Always grab the cordless or the air drill.  Have had good luck with De Walt - except for the 1/4" impact driver.  New switch and still no low end speed control.  Won't work for screws so use it with 1/4" sockets as an impact.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,428 Thanks
  • 8,462 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 08:09 PM

Nice job Chevy. I was shown a trick in the 1960s for emergency fixes of small electric motors. Break open a "D" cell battery and carve the center carbon into the brush needed. It is only a temporary solution because there is acid from the battery on the electrode. The time I was shown this it worked. I have never done this myself but it is another tool for my bag of tricks. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 26, 2017 - 08:09 PM.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#5 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,787 Thanks
  • 1,418 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 08:48 PM

That is real "recycling" in my opinion, not throwing the tool in a recycling bin, but repairing and reusing! I've got a couple of old corded "Skil" drills, that I've used since the 1970's. Wore the 3/8" chucks out on them and stored them. When I just couldn't get my old 9.6v Makita cordless drills to hold a charge enough to work anymore, I was pleasantly surprised that the Makita keyless chucks would fit the old Skil's.

DAC

• boyscout862 and 29 Chev have said thanks