Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

worked on my Bolens G9 today


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 33353
  • 339 Thanks
  • 244 posts
  • Location: western NC

Posted February 25, 2017 - 07:07 PM

downsize.jpg 0225170940a.jpg

I derusted the front wheels using the saltwater and battery charger method. Both wheels are pitted some, so I used JB Weld to fill the pits. They are ready for primer and paint. I cleaned out all the old lube from the bearings and regreased them using a medicine squirter thingy from the drug store. The next thing is to clean and paint the gearbox/transmission.

Attached Thumbnails

  • downsize.jpg

Edited by thom, February 25, 2017 - 07:08 PM.

  • Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Bruce Dorsi and 5 others have said thanks

#2 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 84305
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts
  • Location: hudson mi

Posted February 26, 2017 - 09:25 AM

This reminds me, i got 3 G9s i need to get moving on. Hopefully enough parts to make one good one :)

#3 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,455 Thanks
  • 1,800 posts
  • Location: Freekin cold central WI

Posted February 26, 2017 - 09:26 AM

Interesting! I have never heard of anyone using JB weld for filler before.

How did it work for you? Was it easy to sand down inside the wheels? Lastly, how was the end result?

#4 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 8857
  • 256 Thanks
  • 135 posts
  • Location: Midland ON

Posted February 26, 2017 - 02:10 PM

Those wheels are looking good. How do you do the saltwater and sand method? 



#5 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 33353
  • 339 Thanks
  • 244 posts
  • Location: western NC

Posted February 26, 2017 - 05:30 PM

I have not sanded the JB Weld yet but I applied it smoothly enough so it just needs to be scuffed enough so primer will stick. The wheels were rusty where they were almost in contact with the ground because of the very flat tires. There were  pinholes that I filled with the epoxy. I might use tubes in case the rims are no longer "airtight".

 The saltwater rust removal I mentioned is the electrolysis method. I have used it for 20+ years since first seeing it in the Gas Engine Magazine. The rusty part is submerged in salty water with a negative current connected while another metal part , with a positive connection is attached.I use my battery charger set to 12 volts on the next to lowest amp setting. My charger is an old school manual model. I understand an automatic charge doesn't work as well. A discharged battery might have to be included to "fool" the auto feature on the charger. The wheels were pretty crusty so I let them "cook" for about an hour on each side, meaning each side towards the sacrifice metal ( an old spring leaf). Two wheels, two sides each means four sides. When the wheels were removed from the water and washed of with my water hose they looked like they had been sandblasted. Try it. It works great. Salt is cheap. I bought a 25 pound bag last week at the grocery store for $3.99. I've been thinking about borrowing an automatic charger and figuring out exactly what would need to be done to use it. Anybody been there and figured it out already?


Edited by thom, February 26, 2017 - 05:31 PM.

  • old coot and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#6 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 33353
  • 339 Thanks
  • 244 posts
  • Location: western NC

Posted February 26, 2017 - 05:37 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that it takes about a cup of salt per gallon of water. I usually hook everything up with plain water then add  salt the gauge on the charger shows a charge. Adding more salt will not make it work better or faster. The solution can be reused several times.


  • Sawdust, old coot and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#7 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 33353
  • 339 Thanks
  • 244 posts
  • Location: western NC

Posted March 02, 2017 - 09:44 AM

I sanded the JB Weld and decided to use a little body filler (Bondo) to smooth it out. They are primed and will be painted tomorrow or the next day, then the tires will be mounted.
  • Bolens 1000 and KennyP have said thanks

#8 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,315 Thanks
  • 3,241 posts
  • Location: Butler, Kentucky

Posted March 02, 2017 - 10:07 AM

I've seen on here before JB Weld used for this. It sands easy & is durable but would be expensive for large areas. I use a easy sand body filler like bondo & follow up with the red spot filler in a tube for small pits. Your wheels are looking good...well worth the effort.
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#9 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 33353
  • 339 Thanks
  • 244 posts
  • Location: western NC

Posted March 05, 2017 - 05:28 PM

downsize71_zpseb7ydykz.jpg

I got the new Carlisles mounted on the painted wheels. All the damage to the paint is on the inside of one wheel. It will be as easy touchup.


  • KennyP said thank you




Top