• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 730 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted May 03, 2018 - 07:17 AM

almost looks like you're prepping to take it to "Barrett-Jackson"..... nice job - going to better than new....

• Sawdust and logmillingman have said thanks

#122 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 2166 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted May 27, 2018 - 06:54 PM

almost looks like you're prepping to take it to "Barrett-Jackson"..... nice job - going to better than new....

Thought I would give it a little extra touch.

• Sawdust said thank you

#123 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 2166 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted May 27, 2018 - 07:13 PM

Started to try to figure out the conversion of the hydro filter. I picked up a early H series filter housing and seat pan support this winter.

I have a couple of 1256 hydro's and thought about removing the outflow tube on one of them and installing it on the H 14. I believe the hose will be long enough to connect to the filter inlet.

The only problem is the 1256 uses a 90 degree elbow out of the hydro and I don't think there is enough clearance to unscrew the fitting without taking things apart. and the same problem on the H 14 trying to thread a 90 in the hydro.

If anyone else has done this conversion do you have any thoughts on how to proceed?

DSCN5996.JPG                                    DSCN5999.JPG

DSCN6003.JPG

#124 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 730 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 07:23 AM

for the time you'd "invest" trying to take things apart and then back together, think I'd find a local hydraulic hose shop and have them make what you need - might be more cash out of your pocket, but less time and headache....and you won't "risk" breaking something else - those pictures make me think those units were assembled and then installed in the machines...

• logmillingman said thank you

#125 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 2166 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 08:41 AM

for the time you'd "invest" trying to take things apart and then back together, think I'd find a local hydraulic hose shop and have them make what you need - might be more cash out of your pocket, but less time and headache....and you won't "risk" breaking something else - those pictures make me think those units were assembled and then installed in the machines...

I agree the hydro and rear differential were made up as a sub assembly. 

#126 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 2166 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted June 01, 2018 - 02:25 PM

Today I worked on disassembling, cleaning, and spraying rust reformer on the PTO lever assembly and the parking brake lever for the H 14 tractor.

DSCN6025.JPG                                    DSCN6026.JPG

DSCN6027.JPG                                    DSCN6028.JPG

DSCN6029.JPG                                    DSCN6032.JPG

Edited by logmillingman, June 01, 2018 - 02:26 PM.

• 29 Chev and kjmweld have said thanks

#127 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3594 Thanks
  • 1328 posts

Posted June 01, 2018 - 03:17 PM

It would be so nice putting these tractors back into service if the previous owners had just done what they should have done along the way. It always seems like an endless nickle & diming of things to do just to get them back to how WE FEEL they should be. Now that i woke up, & no longer dreaming... let me just say, great job so far.
  • Bolens 1000 and logmillingman have said thanks

#128 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 17554 Thanks
  • 18863 posts

Posted June 01, 2018 - 06:03 PM

It would be so nice putting these tractors back into service if the previous owners had just done what they should have done along the way. It always seems like an endless nickle & diming of things to do just to get them back to how WE FEEL they should be. Now that i woke up, & no longer dreaming... let me just say, great job so far.

Exactly, I learned that over my course of repairing and owning these machines, and the past few years I came to the conclusion: these machines are often well over 40 years old and most have not had any major service work done in years and they really dont owe anyone anything at that point so why not do it right and rebuild the machine all at once that way you know its done right and there will not be nagging things that pop up from the classic nickle and dime repairs to get another season out of it. These machines would be well over $6,000 to buy new today so if you throw $500-$1000 in new parts and fix the broken things you really are still on the positive side of things what else today is made like these are?

The down fall of the "quick fix " repairs by previous owners is they are often more expensive to fix than if they would have done things by the books :wallbanging:

I just Fully Serviced a 1253  that was basically all original and was just plain wore out , I think the bill was around $500 , money well spent on something I can now turn the key and know it will not let me down.

• Alc, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#129 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 2166 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted June 02, 2018 - 07:51 AM

Thanks Ken, I started out just trying to get the PTO free so I could rototill with it. As I got into it I realized it really needed more if I wanted it to be reliable. Then after that I saw the possibilities and what the H 14 looked like new and I decided to go the way of a restoration. It will not be a full restoration, I will not be rebuilding the engine or the rear axle but everything else will be done. This tractor has earned it from all the years of service it has given.

• KennyP and kjmweld have said thanks

#130 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 2166 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted June 02, 2018 - 08:05 AM

Exactly, I learned that over my course of repairing and owning these machines, and the past few years I came to the conclusion: these machines are often well over 40 years old and most have not had any major service work done in years and they really dont owe anyone anything at that point so why not do it right and rebuild the machine all at once that way you know its done right and there will not be nagging things that pop up from the classic nickle and dime repairs to get another season out of it. These machines would be well over $6,000 to buy new today so if you throw $500-$1000 in new parts and fix the broken things you really are still on the positive side of things what else today is made like these are?

The down fall of the "quick fix " repairs by previous owners is they are often more expensive to fix than if they would have done things by the books :wallbanging:

I just Fully Serviced a 1253  that was basically all original and was just plain wore out , I think the bill was around $500 , money well spent on something I can now turn the key and know it will not let me down.

You are right Brian, these machines are a proven platform based on old world foundry and metal work that the people who settle the places like Wisconsin brought with them from the old country. Casing work and machine work that is still proving itself decades after it was done. These tractors have given all they have been designed for and more. My hat goes off to the engineers, designers and workers that made our love for these tractors a possibility.

#131 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 2166 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted June 02, 2018 - 07:50 PM

Tonight I took some time to assemble the PTO lever assembly.

DSCN6033.JPG                                 DSCN6034.JPG

DSCN6035.JPG                                 DSCN6036.JPG

Then I attached the spring with the retaining washers and cotter pin.

DSCN6037.JPG                                 DSCN6038.JPG

After assembling the PTO lever assembly I sprayed it with several coats of Rustoleum Automotive gloss Black. I top coated  the lever handle with a coat of Rustoleum Automotive clear coat.

DSCN6039.JPG                                 DSCN6040.JPG

After finishing the PTO assembly I sprayed the parking brake lever with Metallic silver paint.

DSCN6041.JPG

Edited by logmillingman, June 02, 2018 - 07:50 PM.

• KennyP, 29 Chev and kjmweld have said thanks

#132 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3594 Thanks
  • 1328 posts

Posted June 02, 2018 - 08:52 PM

Looks nice. Is this turning into a restoration project? This is how it starts, lol
  • logmillingman said thank you

#133 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 2166 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted June 02, 2018 - 09:07 PM

Looks nice. Is this turning into a restoration project? This is how it starts, lol

Yes I am afraid so, I can't help it!

• KennyP said thank you

#134 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 2166 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted June 04, 2018 - 10:09 AM

Sunday evening I had a chance to finish the painting on the PTO lever and the Parking Brake lever.

I cleaned the rubber hand grip on the PTO lever with lacquer thinner, masked off the black part of the lever and then sprayed  the rubber grip tip on the lever with the gloss white Fusion paint, Krylon's Fusion paint works really well on plastic, well see how it does on the rubber grip over time. 

DSCN6042.JPG

After I finished the PTO lever I took the Parking Brake lever and cleaned the plastic knob with lacquer thinner, masked off the silver part of the lever and sprayed it with the black Rust-oleum Automotive paint.

DSCN6043.JPG                                              DSCN6044.JPG

I was pretty happy with the Rust-oleum automotive paint, it seems to have a nice tight smooth hard finish, more so then the regular Rust-oleum. We will see how it holds up over time.

Edited by logmillingman, June 04, 2018 - 10:13 AM.

• 29 Chev and kjmweld have said thanks

#135 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 2166 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted June 05, 2018 - 07:37 PM

This evening I reassembled the PTO lever assembly.

DSCN6064.JPG    

I inserted the plastic bushings into the PTO bracket.                         

DSCN6065.JPG

I installed the PTO shaft into the PTO bracket and installed the two C clips.

DSCN6066.JPG

So this part is already to reinstall in the H14.

DSCN6067.JPG

• KennyP and kjmweld have said thanks