That came out nice!

• logmillingman said thank you

#77 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 338 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 08:38 PM

The times getting close to when I need to take the tires off the H14.

The rims need to be prepared for a new coat of white paint, so yesterday  I went down to Harbor Freight and picked up the "Mini tire changer." I clamped it to my work table now I just need to take the tires off the tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4913.JPG

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#78 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 338 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 08:36 PM

Its Sunday afternoon and I started working on the dash tower,

The dash tower like the hood has a lot of damage from years of use. The two lower bolts that hold the dash in place have broken off from the dash tower,  and the sheet metal at the top corners of the tower have cracked from metal fatigue. The tower itself is bent out of shape in a lot of areas, and there is a lot of corrosion from battery acid that has leaked inside the dash tower.

I started working the metal back into its original shape.

Here are some pictures of the work.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4915.JPG
  • DSCN4916.JPG
  • DSCN4917.JPG
  • DSCN4918.JPG
  • DSCN4921.JPG
  • DSCN4922.JPG
  • DSCN4923.JPG
  • DSCN4924.JPG
  • DSCN4925.JPG
  • DSCN4927.JPG
  • DSCN4928.JPG

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Newpaws493 and 2 others have said thanks

#79 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,954 Thanks
  • 2,237 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 06:50 AM

Nice work.  You may wish to check out post 207 on my 1053 thread if you are planning on welding the studs back in - http://gardentractor...project/page-14 .  It shows the jig I made to hold the stud in place while I welded the end - I just used 1/4" UNC grade 5 bolts and cut the heads off to make new studs.  If you weld them back in you will probably burn off part of the decal from the heat - another option would be just to use regular 1/4" stove bolts with washers to hold the dash on the way they did back on the older 1050's.

#80 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 338 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 08:20 PM

Thanks 29 Chev I took a look at your post, That is a good way of holding the stud in the proper position, I like how you repaired your fender.

Edited by logmillingman, May 08, 2017 - 08:21 PM.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#81 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 338 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 08:52 PM

Today my friend came by the house to help me remove the tires from the rims on the H14. 

Here are some pictures of the work,

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4939.JPG
  • DSCN4940.JPG
  • DSCN4941.JPG
  • DSCN4942.JPG
  • DSCN4943.JPG
  • DSCN4944.JPG
  • DSCN4945.JPG
  • DSCN4946.JPG
  • DSCN4947.JPG
  • DSCN4948.JPG

• blackjackjakexxix, Newpaws493, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#82 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 338 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 10, 2017 - 08:30 PM

I want to do some reinforcing on the dash tower where the dash bolts to the tower and down by the attachment lift lower lever.

I have decided to spot weld the metal reinforcement in place, so I took a trip down to harbor Freight again and picked up the 120 volt spot welder.  

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4957.JPG
  • DSCN4959.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#83 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,318 Thanks
  • 7,157 posts

Posted May 11, 2017 - 05:25 AM

You'll have to give us a review of the new spot welder . I used one once in metal shop in junior high , that was a lonnnnnnnnnnng time age lol

• KennyP, Sawdust and logmillingman have said thanks

#84 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 338 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 11, 2017 - 07:49 AM

Thanks Alc for your comment,

I will let you know how it works, I did some checking on line to different suppliers and I found the Harbor Freight spot welder was the cheapest price and the other spot welders looked identical to HF's one, its the same welder but for more money.

You can also buy different copper tongs, different lengths and configurations to get into areas that you need to spot weld. HF does not sell them but other companies do and they will fit the HF welder. Just need to confirm it before you order them. 

You Tube has some good videos on the welder from HF, I checked them out before I purchased the HF welder.

HF has a 120 volt and a 240 volt unit, I chose the 120 volt unit because I did not want to have to run a special  220 circuit for the welder. 

I will give you more info and pictures after I use the welder later this week, keep checking in on the progress of the H14 tractor and thanks again for your comments.

Its great to hear from different people, when people comment it helps sometimes to maybe give you a different perspective on how to repair something that you may not be thinking about, This was true when 29 Chev commented on how to weld in the new dash studs, I wasn't thinking of doing it that way but now that I have seen it that is the best way to do it.

Edited by logmillingman, May 11, 2017 - 08:01 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks

#85 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 338 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 06:36 PM

In between removing the tires from the rims on the H14 I have been working on the dash tower, now that I have the spot welder I am ready to proceed with the repairs.

The fatigued metal cracking at both corners of the top of the dash tower led me to fabricating a reinforcement  for this area.

Here are some pictures of the prep work and welding of the cracks on both sides of the dash studs, sheet metal reinforcement and the layout of the new dash studs.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4930.JPG
  • DSCN4933.JPG
  • DSCN4934.JPG
  • DSCN4935.JPG
  • DSCN4936.JPG
  • DSCN4937.JPG
  • DSCN4938.JPG

• LPBolens, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#86 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 338 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 07:40 PM

The next step on the dash tower was to spot weld the reinforcement pieces in place, I removed all the paint from the dash tower in preparation for spot welding.

The metal has to be clean and free of all contamination to get a good spot weld.

I had already fabricated the metal reinforcement pieces that I made from 22 gauge mild steel, but the filler piece to fill in the attachment lift/lower lever slot that some one had previously cut out was made from 18 gauge mild steel.

The spot welder from Harbor Freight worked extremely well and was easy to use, on plain mild steel you can spot weld up to 1/8" in total thickness, so I had no problem welding the reinforcement metal on the dash tower.

I found that it took no more than 3 seconds to do a good spot weld then you need to stop for ten seconds before you spot weld again to give the welder time to cool down. Very glad I got this welder!

here are some pictures of the spot welding.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4960.JPG
  • DSCN4961.JPG
  • DSCN4962.JPG
  • DSCN4964.JPG
  • DSCN4966.JPG
  • DSCN4968.JPG
  • DSCN4970.JPG
  • DSCN4971.JPG
  • DSCN4972.JPG
  • DSCN4973.JPG
  • DSCN4975.JPG

• KennyP, Sawdust and 29 Chev have said thanks

#87 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 338 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 08:33 PM

After spot welding the metal for the attachment lift/lower lever I spot welded the reinforcement for the dash area of the tower.

I also mig welded the filler piece for the lift/lower lever.

I then did the layout for the lift/lower lever slot on the left front of the dash tower. I used my 1256 Bolens tractor as a reference to get the correct measurements for the position of the slot since someone had previously cut out the sheet metal on the H14 probably to get at the pivot on the lift/lower lever. 

I drilled two holes at each end of the slot then used my jig saw to cut the slot. I finished cleaning up the sides of the slot with a flat file.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4976.JPG
  • DSCN4977.JPG
  • DSCN4978.JPG
  • DSCN4979.JPG
  • DSCN4980.JPG
  • DSCN4982.JPG
  • DSCN4986.JPG
  • DSCN4987.JPG
  • DSCN4991.JPG
  • DSCN4992.JPG

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#88 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,239 Thanks
  • 43,361 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 05:21 AM

Glad the spot welder is working for you!

#89 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 338 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 05:30 PM

Well I have been very busy the past couple of weeks, so I have been grabbing time here and there to work on the H14.

I have been focusing on the dash tower, I had a lot of sheet metal repair and replacement work to do.

So here is where I am on the dash tower work.

First, I had to take sometime to flatten out all the waves and ripples in the sheet metal that I had not already done the first time to make sure everything was shaped correctly before I cutout and replaced the lower side that was really corroded from the battery acid. To do this I used my flat punch to tap the metal and reshape it, this method works really good on mild steel.  I did a lot of reshaping the first time but sometimes you have to do these things in steps as the piece retakes its original shape. Once all the sheet metal was reshaped I did the final cleanup on the metal.

Second, I did some more spot welding on the reinforcing metal I had installed where the dash bolts onto the tower, to make sure that the reinforcement was solid.

Third, I made up a jig to hold the stud in place as I was welding it, Then I welded the two lower studs in place. I used 29 Chev design it worked really well.

Forth, I Fabricated the lower skirt from 18 gauge mild steel sheet metal, once I put the bend in it for where it bolts to the tube frame I placed it over the skirt lined it up and scribed the out line and all the drill holes. I than cut out the piece with my jigsaw and drilled out all the holes.

I cut out the corroded part of the tower skirt, then made up two small pieces of sheet metal and spot welded them to the lower cut edge of the tower. Then I clamped the new piece of sheet metal to the tower and spot welded it in place. Now I was able to mig weld the piece permanently and grind the weld.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4994.JPG
  • DSCN4995.JPG
  • DSCN4998.JPG
  • DSCN4999.JPG
  • DSCN5000.JPG
  • DSCN5001.JPG
  • DSCN5021.JPG
  • DSCN5022.JPG
  • DSCN5023.JPG

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks