• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mrimpacto OFFLINE  

mrimpacto
  • Member No: 69386
  • 15 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 01:36 PM

I found the picture of this brochure as I've been searching for the lawn mower I used as a kid. Ours was a 4HP Briggs with the floating deck, it also had a differential lock and didn't turn worth beans when it was locked. We also had a tow behind sweeper, and I'd pull the deck off and use it as a really slow go cart. I mowed with that from about 6 years old until I was 12 and when we moved we left it behind. Fond memories from long ago. Thank you Sergeant.

Attached Thumbnails

• Yard-Man1001.JPG
  • Yard-Man2001.JPG

• olcowhand, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,997 Thanks
  • 5,865 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 01:43 PM

:welcometogttalk:

You were very lucky. I would have loved to have had something like that to mow with. I have never seen one of those before. 

Edited by Cvans, February 25, 2017 - 01:46 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,050 Thanks
  • 44,073 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 01:58 PM

That would be fun today!

#4 mrimpacto OFFLINE  

mrimpacto
  • Member No: 69386
  • 15 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 02:08 PM

It was fun and one of the happier memories of my formative years.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,276 Thanks
  • 1,487 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 02:47 PM

Thats cool.

Me at 10 on dads National....kinda kick started my obsession with engines and stuff.

national.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, Delmar and 4 others have said thanks

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,712 Thanks
  • 4,432 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 03:32 PM

My first rider was a Huffy 3 h.p. Briggs and about 22" cut, chain drive forward and reverse, it came with a house we bought. Got me hooked, the next summer when I was 12 I used my lawn mowing money to buy a Huffy 4 h.p. Still chain drive F&R, but had a 30" deck and a deck clutch. My next step was more of a jump, to a Sears SS 12 with 3 pt hitch.

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,221 Thanks
  • 2,903 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 04:37 PM

lucky lucky fella lol

I had to use an old Huffy Park Lane reel mower with the bagger. Bagger was about useless but grandpa insisted I rake and/or bag the grass and put it on the mulch pile.

After mowing about 1 1/2 acres with it grandma would reward me with a whole pitcher home made lemonade and a bunch home made chocolate chip,raisin and oatmeal cookies.Which I was more than happy to pig out on lol.

I hated that thing.Hard to start and you could not go very fast with it.They seem like a cool looking mower but any cheap rotary push mower from the past 50 years is much much much easier to use.Found a video of one on youtube.Grandpas was the Same exact model mower.

Edited by EricFromPa, February 25, 2017 - 04:38 PM.

• KennyP and Delmar have said thanks

#8 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,102 Thanks
  • 2,317 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 05:34 PM

An old reel style push mower would be my earliest recollection of a lawn mower back in the early 60's - used it for a year or two and then we progressed to a used Lawn Boy that you mixed gas with the oil - used a glass gallon jug for a gas can, starting rope was tied to the handle when not in use (wrapped around the engine pulley to pull start it - nor recoil starter) and carried a screwdriver in the pocket to shut the mower off with by shorting out the spark plug wire (health and safety back then was common sense).  Started working at a John Deere lawn and garden dealership just out of high school and my mother bought a brand new 18" push mower - first new lawn mower we had.  Used it until about the late 1980's (up until then it was fun to cut the grass with a walk behind and get some exercise)  and then I picked up an old Yardman rider at an auto wreckers and fixed it up enough to work for several years. After that I discovered it was even more fun to ride when I cut the grass - guess I finally got smart.    

• KennyP said thank you

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,780 Thanks
  • 30,693 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 05:39 PM

The first rider Dad bought was a Dynamark 7hp.  I thought it was simply awesome!  Before that it was just a push mower with a briggs wind up crank handle system.

• KennyP and 29 Chev have said thanks

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,050 Thanks
  • 44,073 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 05:44 PM

All I had were push mowers. That's where I learned to pull the flywheel cover on a B&S and sand the rust off the flywheel every Spring to get it running.

• olcowhand and 29 Chev have said thanks

#11 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,253 Thanks
  • 4,242 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 06:10 PM

Ours was a cast iron push mower from Eaton's. Mom and I would spell each other off pushing the darn thing around... it weighed about 50 pounds and the blade was ground driven and never very sharp. One day we finally figured out that if we did a poor job of it my father would get mad and "show' us how it was done properly, set an example for us mere females. The next day there was a gas power push mower in the garage, lol. Mere females my foot!!!
  • olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,774 Thanks
  • 4,878 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 09:14 PM

I was king of the yard on dad's Ariens.
1225161353.jpg
  • KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,617 Thanks
  • 2,625 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 09:50 PM

My first rider I used as a kid was a Swisher three wheeler.  It had a 6 hp Tecumseh motor, with a crank wind starter.  You would crank the handle back and forth to wind the coil spring in the starter, then push the release lever to spin the starter.  I miss that old mower!

• KennyP and toppop52 have said thanks

#14 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,212 Thanks
  • 2,284 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 07:37 AM

I found the picture of this brochure as I've been searching for the lawn mower I used as a kid. Ours was a 4HP Briggs with the floating deck, it also had a differential lock and didn't turn worth beans when it was locked. We also had a tow behind sweeper, and I'd pull the deck off and use it as a really slow go cart. I mowed with that from about 6 years old until I was 12 and when we moved we left it behind. Fond memories from long ago. Thank you Sergeant.

I found an old manual and brochure for this at my folks' place a couple years back.  I asked Dad about it, and he said this was the first mower he bought, but with the front reel.  I've seen seen several since...they seem fairly common.  Neat rigs!

#15 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 11:32 AM

Cool thread,a REO reel on grandads farm was my first mowing chore (8N with a sickle bar was my second),always ran perfect,never broke, I'd feed it branch's till it choked,I'd never give a 10yr. Old today such a viscous toy

Edited by jimmy G, February 26, 2017 - 11:33 AM.