• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wcl400 OFFLINE  

wcl400
  • Member No: 85913
  • 28 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 01:32 PM

Found this tractor on craigslist for $100.00 needs head gasket.. Worth it?

#2 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013

If I can't do it slow then it's not going to get done.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 74432
  • 247 Thanks
  • 175 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 01:44 PM

Need pics please. They would help a lot.

#3 wcl400 OFFLINE  

wcl400
  • 28 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 02:15 PM

Need pics please. They would help a lot.

I am not sure how to get the photos of craigslist, but I can tell you it looks to be in very good shape.

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,177 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 02:41 PM

Gear drive? Assuming it is by the numbers you gave.If the transaxle doesn't jump around in any gear you should be ok for $100.The Briggs 17 and 17.5 HP ohv vanguard and Intek engines are the worst of the whole lot when it comes to blowing head gaskets.They also have the worst carburetors.Pull the Dipstick and stick your nose in the tube and take a good whiff.Don't smell the dipstick gas doesn't stick to it enough to be able to smell it.If you smell any sign of gas in the oil or if it has fresh clean oil in it tell the owner politely "no thank you" and briskly walk away.

Smoking can also be a sign of someone running it with gasoline in the oil.The needle valve in the carb on the 17 and 17.5hp are notorious for leaking and they will fill the entire crankcase full of gasoline.Clean fresh oil on a cheap tractor can be a sign of someone trying to cover up a fault just so they can sell it.  

Edited by EricFromPa, February 24, 2017 - 02:43 PM.

• KennyP, ericjr16 and wcl400 have said thanks

#5 wcl400 OFFLINE  

wcl400
  • 28 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 03:45 PM

Gear drive? Assuming it is by the numbers you gave.If the transaxle doesn't jump around in any gear you should be ok for $100.The Briggs 17 and 17.5 HP ohv vanguard and Intek engines are the worst of the whole lot when it comes to blowing head gaskets.They also have the worst carburetors.Pull the Dipstick and stick your nose in the tube and take a good whiff.Don't smell the dipstick gas doesn't stick to it enough to be able to smell it.If you smell any sign of gas in the oil or if it has fresh clean oil in it tell the owner politely "no thank you" and briskly walk away.

Smoking can also be a sign of someone running it with gasoline in the oil.The needle valve in the carb on the 17 and 17.5hp are notorious for leaking and they will fill the entire crankcase full of gasoline.Clean fresh oil on a cheap tractor can be a sign of someone trying to cover up a fault just so they can sell it.
It does smoke so I am going to pass. Thank you for the information.

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,177 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 06:33 PM

Smoking isn't much of a problem just put a new head gasket in it and set the valve lash.

But it doesn't take but a couple minutes to burn the rings out of 1 if there is gas in the oil.The bottom bearing on the balancer wears out and causes it to jam and bust the dog bone then you got a 5lb chunk of cast iron trying to spin free inside the block.Usually taking out the connecting rod and the whole back end of the block when it lets go but it will have a very noticeable knock to it long before that happens.

I would go check it out.If the oil is thick and black I would buy it.If it still smokes after installing a new $10-15 head gasket then you can always find another engine to put on it.$100 isn't to bad for a good solid mower even if it needs an engine.As long as the rest of the tractor is in good condition I would get it.Offer $50-$75 for it and see if you get it.

• ericjr16 and wcl400 have said thanks

#7 wcl400 OFFLINE  

wcl400
  • 28 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 12:49 AM

Smoking isn't much of a problem just put a new head gasket in it and set the valve lash.

But it doesn't take but a couple minutes to burn the rings out of 1 if there is gas in the oil.The bottom bearing on the balancer wears out and causes it to jam and bust the dog bone then you got a 5lb chunk of cast iron trying to spin free inside the block.Usually taking out the connecting rod and the whole back end of the block when it lets go but it will have a very noticeable knock to it long before that happens.

I would go check it out.If the oil is thick and black I would buy it.If it still smokes after installing a new $10-15 head gasket then you can always find another engine to put on it.$100 isn't to bad for a good solid mower even if it needs an engine.As long as the rest of the tractor is in good condition I would get it.Offer $50-$75 for it and see if you get it.

Thank you I may still go look at it then. There is also a 18hp briggs&straten motor for $150.

#8 ericjr16 OFFLINE  

ericjr16
  • Member No: 54135
  • 1,045 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 08:16 AM

Might be worth it in rest of machine. We buy them a lot here and swap engines and such. We actually keep head gaskets in stock like Ericfrompa said. He is 100% RIGHT in all he said, all known issues in those engines! My personal Yard-King Bagger tractor was a $75 buy with bad Intek, swapped to a Kohler Command from a junk Craftsman, great machine!

DSCN9581.JPG

• wcl400 said thank you