• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tankdriver OFFLINE  

tankdriver

• Member No: 3674
  • 2 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 09:54 PM

Ok, I have a Agri-Fab Box blade on a Craftsman PGT9000 Garden Tractor that I'm not too happy with. I use it on a 1,400ft drive way of what around here is called Road Gravel. It is a mix of rock, sand, and clay. Pretty hard stuff when it sets up. What I do with the blade is set the blade at an angle to pull the buildup of the edges back to the middle of the drive, to keep the crown.

I used this blade 1 time and it was starting to pull the washers into the tube, and bend the tounge mounting bracket.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

When I pulled it a part to fix it, it was worse than it looked. Look at the tubing, and washers…..

Posted Image

Posted Image

So I decided to see what I could do to fix it. What I decided to do was strengthen the main tubing. I purchased a stick of 1 ¾ X 5/16 angle and cut 2 pieces of 1 ¾ X 5/16 angle 39 ¾ long. Then beveled the edges to make room for the welds already there….

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then to make room for the braces I cut 2 notches 3/8 of a inch, but finally had to go to 7/16 to make room for the welds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then used clamps and put the angles to the back and bottom of the tubing, after painting the inside where it would not rust.

Posted Image

I used short welds down the length and full welds on the ends, and where the braces are. Then repainted the whole thing…..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here it is finished. Everywhere that the bolts go through there is at least 5/16 metal, not just tubing. It should never bend now, and it is also a couple pounds heavier. This only cost about 20 bucks, and took about 8 hrs. total to do. If you do not have an end mill, a saws all, grinder, jig saw, or if you are REALLY a well-built young’un, a plain old hack saw will work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think it was well worth the time and small amount of money it took me to do this. If you have a Agri-Fab blade you should do it ........

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 11:44 PM

:thumbs:

Built like it should of been to start with. Good repair, now she should hold together.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 05:42 AM

Very nice work. We need to start getting a couple of other attachments. For the newer stuff the Agri-Fab stuff does seem to be decently built and I also like the fact that they kind of stemmed from Haban since they bought them.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 06:11 AM

Welcome. That looks to be a much sturdier blade now. I guess that's why I don't get hyped to buy new equipment, have to rebuild it to make it work. I have an older Sears sleeve hitch blade that I have thought of adding sides to for a box blade, but I would like to be able to remove if needed. Just haven't taken time to figure it out yet.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 01:16 AM

Nice refab work tankdriver. Hey Kenny, why not just bolt large angle iron to the backside of the blade at the ends to enclose it??

#6 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 06:08 AM

Excellent repair and paint up, looks like it came from the factory that way. Its a shame that the attachments that are sold for these tractors sometimes are not as strong as they should be.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 06:14 AM

Nice refab work tankdriver. Hey Kenny, why not just bolt large angle iron to the backside of the blade at the ends to enclose it??

I have thought of doing that, Casey. Just hate to drill more holes in it. But if I can find some metal to make side pieces out of, I will most likely do that. And add some teeth for loosening the soil.

#8 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 03:28 PM

I listed an Agri-Fab box blade in the classifieds.

I have a back blade and don't really need both.

Thanks,
Bill

#9 ramdeesl OFFLINE  

ramdeesl

• Member No: 2492
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 02:22 PM

They won't be around very long if they keep building (underbuilding) stuff like that. Nice retro. Should hold up now.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'm glad I saw this. There aren't a lot of choices out there and it's nice to know the Agri Fab can be strengthened without a lot of expense.